Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 04:38 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
To reinforce the assertion that there's a significantly large number of rude people in Miami -

I have a dog and I walk him 3x-4x a day, mornings, lunch, afternoon and the evening. 9 out of the 10 people I walk past, either don't make eye-contact, say a simple "hello" or even make any acknowledgement that there's another human being passing only 2 feet away. I, on the other hand, will always either smile or just say a simple "hello" because that's the kind of person I am.

What is it with these people? Did I catch them on a bad day (which seems to be everyday)? Even if I'm not walking my dog and I'm simply in transit, there's absolutely no air of friendliness. It could be the fact of my location (Brickell Ave) but I'm sure that doesn't provide reasonable justification.

I just don't really get it. It is a part of the culture (hispanic, latino, cuban) here?

As mentioned above, I come from a hard city full of personalities but I've found it surprising that people, more often than not, are friendly and aren't afraid to have a simple interaction.

I've come to the conclusion, in my short time here, that Miami is just not for me. It may be for some people (and I'm happy for you) but unfortunately your reputation, which I refused to accept prior to moving down here, has been fully agreed upon.

You have beautiful weather in the winter and I'm gratefully thankful for that.
------

Do people in NY greet each other in a flamboyant and eloquent way like you do? I thought it was a thing of small towns, where everybody knows the life and miracles of everybody, places like Gritsville in the Appalachians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 06:40 AM

23 posts, read 34,618 times
Only small town people make eye contact because they know everyone in their town. Did anybody see the video of the woman falling while texting? No one noticed, she could have drown in that water fountain. This took place in Texas.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times
Not only small town people make eye contact. Where I live, yes CLT, every one makes eye contact. We all say good morning and we don't stare at the floor when we are in an elevator. We actually greet each other and even wish a "blessed day" to a few....But Miami.....rude as it can be.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I have been to New York City over 15 times and strangers do not say hi to me! That is a small town southern thing to do, when I am walking the streets in DC people do not say hi or smile why should they!? I do not get this complaint. Some of the rudest things that have happened to me have happened in New York and DC but do I think these are horrible places of course not, every place in the whole world has some people that are rude. But I have NEVER been to a large city that random people say hi or smile for no reason.
It's not just a small town thing. I'm in Houston now (4th largest city in the US) and people say 'hi' and definitely return a smile with a smile. It happens to me almost every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
^^ And when we (hispanic/latinos) do say hello to perfect strangers, then we are rude for interrupting their conversation or whatever other reason they can concoct. Or we are criticized for saying hi with the ''Miami accent!"
The accent? Are you kidding? If anyone makes even an effort to speak English we (non-Hispanics) don't criticize. We might be amazed or dumbfounded for a couple of seconds but after we recover we appreciate it greatly and we show it. Of course it only seems to happen about as often as a solar eclipse and I can't remember the last time I experienced either in Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Martinez View Post
Only small town people make eye contact because they know everyone in their town. Did anybody see the video of the woman falling while texting? No one noticed, she could have drown in that water fountain. This took place in Texas.
I doubt anyone could drown in a mall fountain. People probably acted like they ignored her to help her retain some shred of dignity. She's sueing the mall now and, no doubt, she'll collect a lot of money and a year from now we'll see warning signes posted everywhere about the danger of texting and walking near fountains.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Not greeting everyone you walk past...It's an East Coast thing and not unique to Miami. Don't believe me? Browse through the CD forums of other East Coast cities. We have a saying: you have to go north to go South here.

Please let's stop pretending that all of Miami's "problems" are unique to Miami!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 PM

23 posts, read 34,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post

I doubt anyone could drown in a mall fountain. People probably acted like they ignored her to help her retain some shred of dignity. She's sueing the mall now and, no doubt, she'll collect a lot of money and a year from now we'll see warning signes posted everywhere about the danger of texting and walking near fountains.
if this incedent happened in Miami you would all be bashing Miami residents for not helping the lady

Stop the double standard. You can see people are not making eye contact before and after the lady fell. They didn't even realize she fell. Talk is cheap but an image is worth a thousand words

Old 01-21-2011, 01:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Well, glad I read this thread. I've never been to Miami but always wanted to go. After this thread, think I'll pass.

Where I live, there are plenty of New Yorkers and they seem quite happy. I can't imagine a more boring place to live myself (Phoenix). Go figure. I guess it's all relative and when one moves one must at least visit and stay there for at least two or three weeks before jumping into in. I do appreciate this thread.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
misty: probably a good idea. its unlike anywhere else in the country and most americans dont like it.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
misty: probably a good idea. its unlike anywhere else in the country and most americans dont like it.
Question - would Europeans like it? If so, I'd probably like it.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
They like it but if you like the west coast's work ethic/law abiding culture/etc it is the opposite of that. I have never met a single person from california who has ever liked miami. 100% with the exception of myself have moved back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami