Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times

Advertisements

I like Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:43 PM

810 posts, read 1,579,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, glad I read this thread. I've never been to Miami but always wanted to go. After this thread, think I'll pass.

Where I live, there are plenty of New Yorkers and they seem quite happy. I can't imagine a more boring place to live myself (Phoenix). Go figure. I guess it's all relative and when one moves one must at least visit and stay there for at least two or three weeks before jumping into in. I do appreciate this thread.
You're welcome. I'm glad you're such a fan of City Data What have you learned in the Political and unemployment forums? over 1,700 post in 2 months. WOW how you do it? I thought I was a fan but Girl, you make me look like a "novice"

Old 01-21-2011, 01:44 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
Yes, it's true. Another thread on how truly sad this place is.

I moved from NYC (I'm from Manhattan) and though I come from one of the greatest cities in the world, I was able to put that behind me and give this place a chance without being biased or subjective.

Even though I've been here for almost 3 months, I can't help but express how terrible of a city it has been.

-People are rude
-People are egotistical (Why - because you drive a 3-series and live in a crowded apartment with 3 roommates? Please get over yourselves, you live in South Florida)
-Lack of culture/diversity (anybody that doesn't speak Spanish is a visitor counting down the days of when they can leave)
-No public transportation (what you have in place are Disney rides)
-No music scene (no jazz, terrible orchestra, no indie rock, experimental, etc)
-You don't pick up your dog's crap
-You don't have any interesting/new restaurants
-Lack of being in the know - understanding global issues/topics
-Lack of education
-Terrible traffic and poor city planning
-The worst drivers (and I'm from NYC). No idea of what's going on around you when driving.
-Too materialistic (blow your $30k salary on a designer purse)
-3rd highest city with salaries near poverty level
-The list goes on.

I honestly can't wait to take what I'm here for and move on to a real city.
I like Miami. If I had more money Id travel there often. I would not live there though.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:19 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
You're welcome. I'm glad you're such a fan of City Data What have you learned in the Political and unemployment forums? over 1,700 post in 2 months. WOW how you do it? I thought I was a fan but Girl, you make me look like a "novice"
Well, super interested in politics and tend to really support liberal causes, especially health care reform so I have quite a bit to say about it. Plus, I am curious. I am also unemployed. I hope to glean some "motivation" or tips in the unemployment forum, but no luck so far. This is not to say there isn't good stuff there, rather I have a slight motivation problem.

All in all, too much time on my hands...

Old 01-21-2011, 02:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
They like it but if you like the west coast's work ethic/law abiding culture/etc it is the opposite of that. I have never met a single person from california who has ever liked miami. 100% with the exception of myself have moved back.
Oh, thanks, useful info. I lived in CA for many years and miss it. So I guess I would not fit in at all. I'd best save my money anyway. Cannot afford to go anywhere. But it's fun to "go there" on CD and I don't even have to leave my house.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:52 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
Yes, it's true. Another thread on how truly sad this place is.

I moved from NYC (I'm from Manhattan) and though I come from one of the greatest cities in the world, I was able to put that behind me and give this place a chance without being biased or subjective.

Even though I've been here for almost 3 months, I can't help but express how terrible of a city it has been.

-People are rude
-People are egotistical (Why - because you drive a 3-series and live in a crowded apartment with 3 roommates? Please get over yourselves, you live in South Florida)
-Lack of culture/diversity (anybody that doesn't speak Spanish is a visitor counting down the days of when they can leave)
-No public transportation (what you have in place are Disney rides)
-No music scene (no jazz, terrible orchestra, no indie rock, experimental, etc)
-You don't pick up your dog's crap
-You don't have any interesting/new restaurants
-Lack of being in the know - understanding global issues/topics
-Lack of education
-Terrible traffic and poor city planning
-The worst drivers (and I'm from NYC). No idea of what's going on around you when driving.
-Too materialistic (blow your $30k salary on a designer purse)
-3rd highest city with salaries near poverty level
-The list goes on.

I honestly can't wait to take what I'm here for and move on to a real city.
NYorker in the house, and I have to chime in.

NYC

-People can be rude in NYC as well.
-Many live in an apt to be able to afford living in this city.
-Many don't pick up their dog poop (God knows it's like a "mine field" at times).
-We have CRAZY traffic here as well (BQE, Belt Pkway, etc......).
-A very materialistic city. Most want to keep up with The Joneses with fashion, cars, etc.........

Granted we may have lots of culture and diversity, but its all relative. You can't compare Miami to NYC (apples and oranges).

Make the best out of your situation, and if you still feel the same after your 1 1/2 yr. then move back to our Jungle.........ahahaha!

Did you do your research before moving or did you not have a choice? This may have been covered so I apologize if I'm repeating myself........Also, you have to weigh what you want at this point in your life vs. what's available in each respective city/state.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2011, 05:38 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I like Miami. If I had more money Id travel there often. I would not live there though.
That's why you like it, you don't live there

Old 01-21-2011, 07:41 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Exactly your from a town. I do not know how large this town is but in the three cities I have lived in. Miami, Washington D.C. and Barcelona Spain if I went around smiling and saying hi to everyone people would think I am insane or on drugs.
Yeah, Bean Town, Boston. Its still a city!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 PM

317 posts, read 528,229 times
Whats the seafood resturant scene like in Miami?
Being next door to the ocean i only guess it would be pretty good.
I love Lobsters,Crabs,Oysters ,Mussels etc.
I hear the fishing and diving is pretty good there too.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:17 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
Whats the seafood resturant scene like in Miami?
Being next door to the ocean i only guess it would be pretty good.
I love Lobsters,Crabs,Oysters ,Mussels etc.
I hear the fishing and diving is pretty good there too.
Yes seafood in Miami is very good. Of course some different fish then you will find up North but Miami has good sea food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami