Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I can't quite figure out what happened here. My impression is the guy in the car that stopped got shot by someone else driving down the street. Note fours shots rang out then he stopped. I'm guessing that's why he stopped, because he was shot. But then the cops come and essentially execute him. I haven't heard what the real story was, but jeez - WTH?

Since the news as far as I can see has not put out a statement about who the driver was that the cops killed, I'm assuming there's a reason the cops haven't put out a statement yet, and that that reason is probably not going to any good news. Somehow, I just get the feeling those cops shot the wrong guy.
Well the guy obviously did something wrong. If this was not the guy trying to run over cops then he would have just listen to the cops. Put his hands up do not move etc.. Obviously this guy did not do it. Once there is a police involved shoots the state attorney office sends out its own investigators etc.. So the real story will come out. But for all those cops to open fire I suspect the guy in the car did something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 AM

350 posts, read 1,522,917 times
I have a relative who lives in SoBe right in the heart of this. He battens down the hatches every year - locks his doors & windows, does not step outside - until it's over. I for one would be happy to see this "Urban Fest" gone. If they can get rid of Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale like they did several years ago, they can get rid of this, too.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:42 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,409,916 times
I wonder what will happen once the Desiller's effect gets its grip on this thing. Something tells me that there is more to this shooting than meets the eye.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 AM

108 posts, read 230,848 times
Do you actually think any of those umm, blacks, actually were celebrating the true reason for their "day off", Memorial Day? NOT

See, it's not being prejudice, it's reality, unfortunately. When do you see garbage like that happen at other large scale events in Dade County? Coconut Grove Art FestivaL? Calle Ocho (not sure here, as I don't attend, but never heard of any issues year after year)? Youth Fair?

***MOD CUT***

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
But for all those cops to open fire I suspect the guy in the car did something wrong.
Of course, miami police "never" shoot without cause ...NOT saying the victim didn't deserve it

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-31-2011 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Racist Comments Not Allowed

Old 05-31-2011, 02:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
As a homeowner in South Beach, what really grates me is how this annual event started with an ambush, not a plan. Unlike other events, this one wasn't scheduled or planned with the city of Miami Beach but rather it was pushed/promoted by NYC DJ's with narry a mention to those who would be affected by it or would have to deal with it. Once here, it was as if the weekend had the right to continue the mess it has become. It's not like the city invited this week/weekend and changed its mind. It never had a seat at the table in first place. I can't think of any other event in the city that is allowed to happen at this magnitude by starting with an ambush. So, the city of Miami Beach has had to scramble over the years to deal with the traffic (which used to be at a complete standstill in every direction in South Beach in the early years), the crime, etc. This all comes at a price to the tax payers who live here. At the very least, I sure hope that the city has found/can find a way to make the event pay for itself through event fees, etc. I really resent having to shell out my share of the $1 Million extra per year that the supplemental police protection costs.
Last year, I stayed in Miami Beach for the weekend but not this year. I left town.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:04 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,308,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
The festival should be turned into a patriotic celebration of those who have given their lives in the war on terror and historical conflicts, those who gave it all to protect life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Getting drunk at a backyard barbecue is bad enough, but a weekend block party in which you see drunk people by 10 am is just downright disrespectful. It should NOT be just "activists" who want to see the event go.
Boring Bobby over here.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:05 PM

245 posts, read 662,993 times
How does the city go about shutting this event down?? Can the city shut it down??

Old 05-31-2011, 03:13 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,253,084 times
I am not sure that the city can shut down this event as it was stated in a previous post about the city not being involved in the planning, but rather the event was pushed on South Beach and its residents.

This event and the conduct of many that attend this event is a disgrace to this county and the residents of the beach. There are actions that can be taken by locals including businesses. Like I wrote in another post, maybe many of the local businesses in South Beach can band together and close for memorial day weekend if this event returns.

Message is simple to these folks; WE DO NOT WANT YOUR BUSINESS!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM

245 posts, read 662,993 times
Mayor Bower: Miami Beach Can't Do Anything About Urban Beach Weekend - Miami News - Riptide 2.0

Not going to shut it down.....

Old 05-31-2011, 04:02 PM

25 posts, read 33,856 times
This so-called festival needs to be axed. It's not the kind of attention that Miami wants to attract and these aren't the tourists we should be attracting. Surely, any revenue generated from this nonsense is lost in policing such a mess and the actual loss of "good" tourism and the fact that locals are literally barricaded in their homes. Somebody must be getting their palms greased by this rabid nonsense. Maybe we should push for a rock/metal festival instead as it'd attract a new demographic and would give us metalheads a badly needed outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami