Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM

824 posts, read 1,178,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619inda305 View Post
This so-called festival needs to be axed. It's not the kind of attention that Miami wants to attract and these aren't the tourists we should be attracting. Surely, any revenue generated from this nonsense is lost in policing such a mess and the actual loss of "good" tourism and the fact that locals are literally barricaded in their homes. Somebody must be getting their palms greased by this rabid nonsense. Maybe we should push for a rock/metal festival instead as it'd attract a new demographic and would give us metalheads a badly needed outlet.
But sadly, it's not gonna happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
i can appreciate the artistic value of those cars
L.A. Has the lowriders, while we have the high risers.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
L.A. Has the lowriders, while we have the high risers.
We have to get through flooded streets. It never seems to rain in LA.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
We have to get through flooded streets. It never seems to rain in LA.

Thank god for High Risers.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:06 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,409,916 times
We've got a few highrise donks in San Diego.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:36 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,943,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Boring Bobby over here.
It's called MEMORIAL day for a reason. It's NOT New Year's. Seriously, there's no reason to celebrate "urban" culture on Memorial Day. History, anyone?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
It's sad, really sad that South Beach turns into this trash every memorial day weekend. You literally see bunch of trash and garbage on the streets as well as trashy people walking and behaving uncivilized.

I really feel sorry to the unsuspecting tourists that made plans to visit Miami Beach this weekend and had no idea what event was taking place. Sad!
It is indeed sad. Sad to see SB turned into such trash. I dont live in So. Fla anymore, and never attended any of these events (not my crowd to begin with). Miami Beach can do what they see fit, if they really wanted to. They're making money one way or another. They get money from all the arrests, tickets, towings etc from these individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
It's beyond me why Miami Beach allows this to happen each year.
Because of poor leadership. You also have residents that strike me as cowards or politically correct that dont want to offend losers from coming to their town. They need to have talks with the business owners and come to an understanding. But again, the evil of greed will supersede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Yeah, even thugs in tuxedos fight more elegant like.
LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
we need to bring back dresses.
After seeing this video, I have to agree.

YouTube - ‪Memorial Weekend 2011 Baby with her A** all out‬‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I'm glad to be out of there, I don't miss it one bit but I do want better for that city. This crap doesn't help at all. I wish that city would do something about it. I'm sure the cops there don't particularly look forward to that weekend either.
They probably dont look forward to the weekend, but with overtime pay, most do it. I saw a video on Youtube and there was a Miami Gardens Police officer in South Beach. I never knew they called for additional officers in Miami Gardens. Sad situation.
I no longer live in So. Florida, and wish it the best. I also hope it doesn't come anywhere near us. (At this rate, let it stay down there). Sorry. Better South Beach than Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I am not sure that the city can shut down this event as it was stated in a previous post about the city not being involved in the planning, but rather the event was pushed on South Beach and its residents.

This event and the conduct of many that attend this event is a disgrace to this county and the residents of the beach. There are actions that can be taken by locals including businesses. Like I wrote in another post, maybe many of the local businesses in South Beach can band together and close for memorial day weekend if this event returns.

Message is simple to these folks; WE DO NOT WANT YOUR BUSINESS!
This wouldn't be a topic if these businesses did what you said. It seems to me that the hotels are making money, the night clubs are also making some money. They're money motivated, so they will not shut down. Another thing that makes it hard for them to shut it down is the fact that South Florida's main industry is tourism. That's like shooting themselves in the foot.

There seems to be little to no solidarity between the local residents and business owners. The local businesses could care less about their neighbors.
Maybe they could move it elsewhere in Miami, but where? Downtown? I feel bad for the would be tourists, not so as much for the residents (someone mentioned locking themselves in their homes for an entire weekend..That's sad). They should take their area back. Easier said than done, but nothing happens without a fight.

Good luck South Beach. It looks like it's here to stay.

In a year, we'll be writing the same things on City Data about how disgusted we are about these thugs, etc. See you guys next year on City Data after Memorial Day.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
The City CANT just shut it down. It is not like the city helps with making this thing. Its private events and concerts etc.. These places have all the right to host these things if they want and the city needs to prepare for them like the added police forced shutting down traffic on Ocean Drive etc.. But the city cant do anything to stop it that would be illegal.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,409,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
The City CANT just shut it down. It is not like the city helps with making this thing. Its private events and concerts etc.. These places have all the right to host these things if they want and the city needs to prepare for them like the added police forced shutting down traffic on Ocean Drive etc.. But the city cant do anything to stop it that would be illegal.
Then how did they shut down the spring breakers in Fort Lauderdale?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 AM

264 posts, read 774,995 times
why cant they just "shut it down"?

if they cant, then why not provide a REAL miami beach event on memorial day weekend, and just maybe have it dedicated to soldiers perhaps.

sounds reasonable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami