Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:19 PM

27 posts, read 111,161 times

Advertisements

I also want to say: I Love Miami!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 05:03 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I have many stories about non-latins who treated my parents very bad when they arrived in this county without knowing the language. It works both ways.

I don't look latin. As a matter of fact, many latins try to speak English when they first see me. I have even pretended many times that I didn't speak spanish, to see this poor treatment that everyone talks about. I have found that when you smile at people, or atleast don't look at them as if their inferior, the result is almost always positive. If you look down on people, or give them the s**t face, you're going to be treated accordingly.

I would ABSOLUTELY agree that if your criterion for a place to live is courteous drivers and "friendly people" (like saying "good morning" to strangers?) then Miami is not for you. Nor is NYC, Chicago, Boston or LA.
But a "civilized community," and being around well educated people?? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you should check out how packed a book signing is at Books & Books or a lecture at Art Basel. I've found that there is plenty of interesting, courteous and intelligent people in Miami.
I agree with Miami Vice's post above. I also agree that having a positive attitude tends to result in positive results especially when dealing with people. I am just posting my objective observations.
I agree with the above as well. I just find that courteous and intelligent people in Miami are few and far in between compared to many other major attractive cities.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:05 PM

68 posts, read 227,004 times
OK, let me qualify that I have only lived in the area for 3 weeks. I still have not gotten the "full Miami experience". I have lived in Ohio, Northern Virginia/DC and in Puerto Rico before coming to Miami. I will only comment on what I have seen.

Re: Traffic, the traffic here is just simply not that bad. It is nowhere near as congested as Puerto Rico or DC. The drivers here are pretty crazy and unpredictable and that can be pretty scary. There is just not that much congestion.

Re: Spanish, I speak Spanish but I look gringo enough that it is generally not presumed of me. I have not run into anyone yet who has tried to speak Spanish with me before being invited to do so. On the other hand, once Spanish has been established as a common bond, there is a greater sense of familiarity.

Re: Rudeness, I have found nothing but really nice people, both out socially and in the business of trying to get settled in.

Re: expense, Buying things here can be expensive. I do think that there must be cheaper options you just have to look for them. I haven't found all the cheaper options and I have been stretching my money until I start getting paid. I will probably wait until I visit my parents in Ohio until I buy new clothes for example. I have eaten out a few times and have found reasonable options. I have not found anywhere that has drinks at reasonable prices, I will happily take suggestions. At the same time, the places I enjoy have not had a cover charge which is nice.

Maybe in 6 months I'll be singing a different tune, but for now, I am liking Miami a lot.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:56 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
Like compelled to reply told me it really is all about attitude.
Yes, sometimes you will be encountered in spanish but replying graciously and not abruptly and disturbed in english the person will give you back what you gave. I have never had an experience where people get rude with me bacause i dont speak spanish, and lets clear up right now that the chances of somebody not understanding you at all and not being able to speak english is outragously exagerated on the website.
Time and time again besides rudeness people also try to exagerate crime, traffic, and the overall quality of life. Traffic for someone who has never left Miami is horrible, traffic for someone that has experienced different cities worse or better can tell you traffic here is not that bad, it certianly isnt great, but overall its normal and has its days. I agree about the nutty drivers, but it isnt a big deal in my life or mindset, it can anger you for that small minute you might get cut off but life is still good and nothing happened, again attitude, its not going to make me hate Miami and snub it as third world, that is ridiculous.
Ive been here for a little over a year now and I am still loving this place.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
What exactly makes up an "American city". I'm serious, is it white? Courtious? As painted by Norman Rockwell? Less people speaking Spanish(or any language but English)? NYC is American. Boston is American. Chicago, Milwaukee, SanFran and LA. They are all VERY different places with different strengths and weaknesses.
Going back to my original post, I don't think there are certain cities that are benchmarks for American patriotism due to high levels of traditional American influence. You see it backwards from the way I explained it; I simply think that Miami is more "un-American" than most other, if not all major U.S. cities.

Quote:
I like how everyone uses Third World; have you been to a real Third World country, like Sub-Saharan Africa or Bangladesh? THAT'S Third World.
I think the comparison is really of Second World, like Mexico or Peru, but that doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?
There is no such thing as "second world". The scale goes "third world" and industrialized. I personally think Miami is exempt from the whole classification thing, it's a partially flush, South American, junta-run feifdom with a huge underclass. How do you classify that???

Quote:
But a "civilized community," and being around well educated people?? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you should check out how packed a book signing is at Books & Books or a lecture at Art Basel. I've found that there is plenty of interesting, courteous and intelligent people in Miami.
Books and Books is my FAVORITE book store in Miami. Screw all thte big chains that stock generic garbage, that place is a real gem with books you won't find anywhere else.

To Miami Vice - Observer and I are not trying to make scape goats out of "Latin Miami", but they are clearly the ones with the reigns of control, both in numbers and political and economic influence, so in this instance I will blame those who are in control for Miami's problems. Who else is there to shed blame on? No one!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:12 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post

To Miami Vice - Observer and I are not trying to make scape goats out of "Latin Miami", but they are clearly the ones with the reigns of control, both in numbers and political and economic influence, so in this instance I will blame those who are in control for Miami's problems. Who else is there to shed blame on? No one!
Are there any other U.S. cities with problems??? Are they also run by Latins? Let's not make it a Latin thing.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:56 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times
You will notice aspects of Allapath and/or Little Havana (in varying degrees) in both function and/or physical appearance throughout all of Miami. This is both unique and unhealthy for any major city (to have a whole city look and act just like it's immigrant enclaves)

Last edited by big mean bear; 08-13-2008 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-13-2008, 09:10 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irothste View Post
OK, let me qualify that I have only lived in the area for 3 weeks. I still have not gotten the "full Miami experience".
You haven't gotten the "full Miami experience" yet, you are still in that honeymoon faze.

Quote:
Re: Traffic, the traffic here is just simply not that bad. It is nowhere near as congested as Puerto Rico or DC. The drivers here are pretty crazy and unpredictable and that can be pretty scary. There is just not that much congestion.
Its summer time, kids are not in school yet. It will get worse here on Monday when kids go back to school. And then in "winter" when the snowbirds come down.

Quote:
Re: Spanish, I speak Spanish but I look gringo enough that it is generally not presumed of me. I have not run into anyone yet who has tried to speak Spanish with me before being invited to do so. On the other hand, once Spanish has been established as a common bond, there is a greater sense of familiarity.
If you look gringo then they will not speak spanish to you first. But if you look hispanic they will automatically speak to you in spanish.

Quote:
Re: Rudeness, I have found nothing but really nice people, both out socially and in the business of trying to get settled in.
The rudeness part, I think people refer to is the rude drivers. More so than at a grocery store, mall, or work.

Quote:
Maybe in 6 months I'll be singing a different tune, but for now, I am liking Miami a lot.
Glad to see you are liking Miami, I don't think in 6 months you will have any worse of a view of Miami. It takes people a little longer usually, again that honeymoon faze.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Going back to my original post, I don't think there are certain cities that are benchmarks for American patriotism due to high levels of traditional American influence. You see it backwards from the way I explained it; I simply think that Miami is more "un-American" than most other, if not all major U.S. cities.
I hear you and disagree ... I think Miami is EXACTLY an American city by the virtue that the people running it are mostly American born and it IS in America. Maybe America is evolving?
OF COURSE it has aspects of LatAm, some good, some bad. To me it feels like a nice LatAm city in America. That's it's uniqueness and strength & that's what I love about it!

Quote:
There is no such thing as "second world". The scale goes "third world" and industrialized. I personally think Miami is exempt from the whole classification thing, it's a partially flush, South American, junta-run feifdom with a huge underclass. How do you classify that???
You're partially right; there is, but not the way I used it.
I've spent a lot of time in Lima, been to Santiago, Managua, San Jose and all over Mexico. I've also explored Indonesia a bit. THAT is poverty.
You can not compare Miami to ANY of these places simply for the HUGE levels of extreme poverty. Sure there might be a 10 block area that looks kind of like a favela here, but in what city in this country do we not have poverty?
I'm afraid the system of have and have-nots that is so extreme in LatAm is on the rise in the US. I personally believe the middle/working class in this country is doomed, but that's for another thread, and it certainly isn't unique to Miami.

I guess we just disagree on everything but "Books & Books" -- I don't see the politicians in Miami as being ANY different than the African-Americans in Atlanta, the Jews in NYC, Irish in Chicago or Boston, "super liberals" in SF or the "super conservatives" in Dallas or Houston ... majority rules and power begats power. (And absolute power corrupts absolute right?)
ALL OF THEM are corrupt to some level, they ALL make money "on the side" and they ALL want to stay in power.

And I don't see a problem with a lot of Miami looking a little like Little Havana. Of course it doesn't ALL look this way, but I LIKE Little Havana anyway! It's basically safe and has GREAT restaurants.

I will NEVER say Miami is perfect, doesn't have real problems and that everybody should love it. But I'm sorry, I just don't agree that most of your "problems" are actually problems and/or are unique to Miami.
But we'll always have B&Bs!

Last edited by planetsurf; 08-13-2008 at 10:58 PM..

Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Glad to see you are liking Miami, I don't think in 6 months you will have any worse of a view of Miami. It takes people a little longer usually, again that honeymoon faze.
Because 'people' can't possibly LIKE Miami. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami