Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 11,823 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planing a trip/vacation to Michigan next summer ... me, my partner and our 2 boys. I have heard wonderful things about the UP. What cities and areas could you recommend? Are there any progressive cities up there? Also, if you had your choice of the UP vs. the west coast of the lower pennisula, which would you take? Finally, Marquette seems like a great town? Any info on this? Thanks for all of your time! I am a native So. Californian and I really enjoy visiting and researching the upper mid west. We actually plan on moving to one of the upper mid western states in about 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,381 times
I used to vacation in the U.P. as a kid. As an adult, I have vacationed many times in the U.P. I love it up there, there are lots of things to see and do. I live near Ann Arbor, the most progressive city in the state, IMO. The U.P. is not a progressive area. I get the impression that minorities would be a rarity up there, both in summer and winter. I know that in the past 20 years, Chicagoans have built many vacation homes up there - maybe they are changing what has always been a very conservative place.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 AM

57 posts, read 206,965 times
If you are talking about progressive like the Coasts then Sagatuck, Ann Arbor, Ferndale, and East Lansing is close but it has a different feel. Sagatuck however is the only place in Michigan I have been that felt exactly like being on the east coast. I am only comparing it to the East Coast since I haven't been out west. A good vacation spot is Saugatuck on the west lakeshore of Michigan THE OFFICIAL TRAVEL AND TOURISM SITE OF THE SAUGATUCK AND DOUGLAS MICHIGAN CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU
I was on vacation recently and very impressed by it. Traverse City is good too. I for one can't recomend the UP for vacation cause there is little to do up there and its very very spread out so its a long travel time to get between places and the above poster is right about it.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:05 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Well contrary to what is being said , Marquette IS a very progressive city. Right up there with Ann Arbor in that respect..... Granted , the more rural areas of the U.P. are more conservative, and the more tourist orientated are more progressive. Marquette is an exception, not all that tourist infested, its home of NMU, medical complexes,and mining enterprises. We have a considerable amount of " summer people", always have. These days its becoming a year round destination, for the winter sports enthusiast.... Check us out as a starting point for exploring the vastness of Upper Michigan. There IS a reason we have been voted the number one destination city , by so many poles and groups.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:51 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
I knew a black fella in the MI state police that was stationed in the Soo.

He owned that town.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,938 times
Shessssssss, this is God's country (Marquette) and we want to keep it that way.

Burke

Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 AM

OK , lets cut the Crap folks,. being Progressive can mean several things, but usually it boils down to being a Dem. or a Republican Marquette County always goes Dem. and that reflects the people who live and work here..... I am fully aware what it can be like living in an enclave where your Liberal views are in the minority. One of the reasons I moved out of the South , after 18 years of fighting the establishment.
We welcome all kinds, for the most part I have found folks here in the U.P. to be quite tolerant , whatever your politics, race, creed, or persuasion. Thats a good thing. Afterall , we DO share one thing incommon, we like being here.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
OK , lets cut the Crap folks,. being Progressive can mean several things, but usually it boils down to being a Dem. or a Republican Marquette County always goes Dem. and that reflects the people who live and work here..... I am fully aware what it can be like living in an enclave where your Liberal views are in the minority. One of the reasons I moved out of the South , after 18 years of fighting the establishment.
We welcome all kinds, for the most part I have found folks here in the U.P. to be quite tolerant , whatever your politics, race, creed, or persuasion. Thats a good thing. Afterall , we DO share one thing incommon, we like being here.
I would think, and get the impression, people who live...and move to the U.P are not moving there for any king of political reason, and do not really care much. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I can move to the U.P. it would be to get away from all the crap that you see and hear about everywhere else. When I go to the U.P. I feel like I am now in Mother Natures house, and I am there to enjoy all she has to offer and to leave all the other junk at the door. It feels like you are totally ONE with nature, and all the beauty, and everyone who lives and visits feels the same way. I think it is as close to heaven as you can get, and its just an amazing feeling being there. Whenever I visit and have to leave, I truly feel part of my soul stays there and thens sits and calls me to come back as soon as possible. Its only been 2 weeks since we left, but my wife and I miss it more then anything.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I would think, and get the impression, people who live...and move to the U.P are not moving there for any king of political reason, and do not really care much. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I can move to the U.P. it would be to get away from all the crap that you see and hear about everywhere else. When I go to the U.P. I feel like I am now in Mother Natures house, and I am there to enjoy all she has to offer and to leave all the other junk at the door. It feels like you are totally ONE with nature, and all the beauty, and everyone who lives and visits feels the same way. I think it is as close to heaven as you can get, and its just an amazing feeling being there. Whenever I visit and have to leave, I truly feel part of my soul stays there and thens sits and calls me to come back as soon as possible. Its only been 2 weeks since we left, but my wife and I miss it more then anything.
Great, me too ! As I said , we like living here. My comments reflect only what others on these threads are hinting about.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM

3,890 posts, read 4,545,888 times
Default I'm from So. Cal too!! :-)

We visited the U.P. last fall and LOVED IT!!!
We took a whirlwind tour, so we don't know which towns are most "progressive" or not... everyone, and I mean EVERYONE we dealt with was so nice!! Didn't ask what political party they were in. I don't know if we just had good luck or what, but I kept telling my husband, "everyone here is so nice and helpful!"
If you're asking because you and your partner are perhaps in an "unconventional" relationship or something... well, since so much of their economy is dependent on vacationers, I'd bet they've seen all walks of life there!

BTW, if you want to see our vacation video...

YouTube - ‪Upper Peninsula Vacation‬‎

or just go to You tube and type in Upper Peninsula Vacation. Ours is the one that's 12 minutes long, and it's by "Onebuckfilms".

Have a great time!!
Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan