Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,902,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
My favorite winter weather is when there is a foot of snow on the ground and temps are in the high teens/low 20's. This is cold enough to keep things looking crisp, clean, and white, even on most of the road sides. The snow sparkles at night. There is no slush anywhere. Just pure winter. That's the way I like it. Unfortunately we only get that for a few weeks at a time (at best) around here.
Its sad because I really want my kids to enjoy winter like I did when I was a kid. It seemed like we always had snow on the ground in winter here in mid-MI. I remember being outside almost every day...all day, playing in the snow and digging tunnels in the drifts. To tell you the truth...looking at the extended forcast, we just might go through most of January with no snow....sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
My favorite winter weather is when there is a foot of snow on the ground and temps are in the high teens/low 20's. This is cold enough to keep things looking crisp, clean, and white, even on most of the road sides. The snow sparkles at night. There is no slush anywhere. Just pure winter. That's the way I like it. Unfortunately we only get that for a few weeks at a time (at best) around here.
You live too far south for what you want, one of the big reasons I moved to the UP.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Its sad because I really want my kids to enjoy winter like I did when I was a kid. It seemed like we always had snow on the ground in winter here in mid-MI. I remember being outside almost every day...all day, playing in the snow and digging tunnels in the drifts. To tell you the truth...looking at the extended forcast, we just might go through most of January with no snow....sad.
I think a lot of people are beginning to realize that we are in the first throws of Climate Change. I never planed to put in AC up here in da UP, this year I will do it! We get our weather directly from northern Canada, its been warmer up there( Yellowknife) of late than here in Marquette.....You folks in SE mi. might want to start thinking about importing palm trees, or , it may get colder down state in places, and warmer up here, remember its called Climate Change, not just Global Warming .

Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
There is the potential for a major (synoptic) winter storm some time next week. Many of the models have begun to pick up on it and many NWS branches have discussed the potential. There's also looks to be a pattern change in the offing as well, probably to something more winter-like.

Bottom line, the winds of change may be a coming soon...

The Global Warming/Climate Change crap can be shoved where the sun doesn't shine BTW. Detroit at least has had far worse starts to winters than this year. The 1930s-1950s and the 1990s were down right disgusting. The winter lovers would probably hang themselves if they had to deal with those types of snowless/warm winters.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
There is the potential for a major (synoptic) winter storm some time next week. Many of the models have begun to pick up on it and many NWS branches have discussed the potential. There's also looks to be a pattern change in the offing as well, probably to something more winter-like.

Bottom line, the winds of change may be a coming soon...

The Global Warming/Climate Change crap can be shoved where the sun doesn't shine BTW. Detroit at least has had far worse starts to winters than this year. The 1930s-1950s and the 1990s were down right disgusting. The winter lovers would probably hang themselves if they had to deal with those types of snowless/warm winters.
Sure, and how do you explain the Northwest Passage is navigable for the first time in history, and the melting ice flows. The plight of the Polar bears,You can ask some of those who live up there...all about it. But then , I guess you are too set in your ways to even listen, am I right ? Its been warmer in Yellowknife than here in the UP....there IS climate change, your thoughts are far over taken by the scientific community as a whole.
Does Weather/history repeat itself? Some think it does...get ready for an ice age, followed by the melting thing, or is it the other way around? Remember, we are talking about change, not necessarily warming.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Sure, and how do you explain the Northwest Passage is navigable for the first time in history, and the melting ice flows. The plight of the Polar bears,You can ask some of those who live up there...all about it. But then , I guess you are too set in your ways to even listen, am I right ? Its been warmer in Yellowknife than here in the UP....there IS climate change, your thoughts are far over taken by the scientific community as a whole.
Does Weather/history repeat itself? Some think it does...get ready for an ice age, followed by the melting thing, or is it the other way around? Remember, we are talking about change, not necessarily warming.
These aren't my thoughts, it's climo.

Climo shows that weather is cyclical.

We're coming off a relatively deep solar minimum and the strongest Greenland Block in history (and Greenland Blocks aren't usually good for the U.P. in terms of cold/snowy weather), the pattern still has to get its act together from it.

As for the bolded, you have apparently forget about winters such as 1955-1956, 1997-1998, 2001-2002, 1991-1992, amongst others. And what you're describing may have very well happened before in weather history, we just don't know since humans didn't keep good weather records before the 20th century, or even before the 1950s for areas outside of the big cities.

Last edited by 313Weather; 01-05-2012 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 04:55 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,607,508 times
Quote:
As for the bolded, you have apparently forget about winters such as 1955-1956, 1997-1998, 2001-2002, 1991-1992, amongst others. And what you're describing may have very well happened before in weather history, we just don't know since humans didn't keep good weather records before the 20th century, or even before the 1950s for areas outside of the big cities.
Maybe this would be an example of a past warm period? Medieval Warm Period - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-06-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
These aren't my thoughts, it's climo.

Climo shows that weather is cyclical.

We're coming off a relatively deep solar minimum and the strongest Greenland Block in history (and Greenland Blocks aren't usually good for the U.P. in terms of cold/snowy weather), the pattern still has to get its act together from it.

Two year, or even three weather changes in a row do not make for Climate change. As of late, The UP has missed most of the weather fronts ,they have gone south of us.... Alaska is experiencing very cold weather around Fairbanks ( nothing new there ), and further east in Canada too, but that pattern seems to be blocked from going south by Pacific jet stream under low pressure to the north, hence Calgary has been having temps in the 40-50s...yes, it will always change, always have, they call it Chinook winds .The real long weather patterns that effect crops,desert,dust storms,melting ice on a large scale, and floods where there never were floods before, tell a different story. Timing is a factor always. I am not one who takes climate change as a couple of years of hot summers, like we have had here in the UP. Now, we need AC, that IS a change, if it continues for several more summers, I might call it climate change ( global warming)

Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Sure, and how do you explain the Northwest Passage is navigable for the first time in history, and the melting ice flows. The plight of the Polar bears,You can ask some of those who live up there...all about it.
OK, go up there and sail it. In fact, after you fail trying it now, try again in Sept and tell us about it.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
If you have a FaceBook account, here's something to dream about.

Valdez, AK
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9871836&type=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan