Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM

897 posts, read 2,825,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinedrive View Post
I would love to either move to Boston (lots of job opportunities, but same weather problems) or Charleston, SC (love the weather and culture there, not so sure about the job opportunities).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Well, I couldn't find a job - any job - in Michigan, and I'm moving to Georgia next week.
You need to look at the unemployment figures of the areas you are looking at in the South BEFORE leaving MI. There are some areas where unemployment is just about as bad and I believe somewhere I read SC is worse! Seems folks are still moving down and making the problem worse. Not trying to discourage but it is true.

The boom areas of the South that are now suffering are not the places to move without a job. Look at the various CD threads for confirmation.

I currently live in central OH and I know more people and have heard more bad stories of unemployment from the South than I have heard here in Columbus. Not saying that it is a job seekers dream here, but it's better that points South!

I know it's tough for everyone, everywhere. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I left Michigan last year. It was a tough decision but so far (knocking on wood) the decision to leave has been a good one. We struggled for over eight years. I lost my career after 9-11 and got into another line of work that didnt pan out either. We looked all over the country but it depends on what phase of life your in. For hubby and I, we had to consider schooling as we are parents and also we are animal lovers. We have two dogs and two cats. With all that thrown in the mix, finding a decent rental was difficult. We also wanted to buy a house and found the places we liked most had too high cost of living. Out of the blue a company in Indiana contacted my husband. Indiana was never on our list of places to go. But the job offer turned out to be fantastic and in this economy we didnt want to take a chance and hold out for a job offer someplace else. We also considered the south but I think we missed the boat on that. It seems job opportunities in the south have slowed down quite a bit. We also encountered the problem with many companies that didnt want to deal with relocaters. Where we are is close to Notre Dame and a good part of the area are transplants so us being from out of state was not an issue with anyone.

I always said if I left Michigan it would be for someplace warm. I would love to retire the snow shovel. But the warm states didnt pan out. So we still get to enjoy the snow. In fact, we get so much lake effect snow, there is more of the snowy goodness here than back home.

But the cost of living is a lot cheaper and the property taxes really make a difference in the home buying process. We have a brand new home, 2,000 sft, 3 beds, 3 baths and a huge lot that looks like a park. We never would have had this nice of a home back in Michigan.

Moving was a huge risk and I was worried. I was afraid it would be a horrible experience and then what? With Michigan having such a hard time, we knew if we left, we wouldnt be able to go back. But we are very lucky everything went in our favor. We are close enough to drive back home but far enough away from the in-laws.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,205 times
I own a barber shop. But if you look around my area we have one on every corner. Im a member of the Chamber of Commerce and they do nothing to limit the amount same businesses in the local area. The weather always seems to suck, no good places to eat in this area. Its at least a 20 minute or more drive to find something other than Mexican or Chinese food.
And to top it all off............... JENNIFER GRANHOLM!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:48 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,804 times
I graduated from CMU. After graduation I was stuck working in retail for 2 years while looking for a job. But to no avail. I ended up getting a job in Arizona. It isnt the first place I would have left MI for, but came nonetheless. I would have rather stayed in the Midwest, but it didnt work. Arizona is just OK. In some ways its better than MI: better roads, abundant sunshine and lower taxes. Negatives: bad air, bad people, illegals everywhere, and FEWER good jobs than in MI. Jobs in AZ are often low paying service jobs that dont offer benefits or a future. It's true. Michigan at least has industry with the potential to provide better paying jobs.

My experience has been good in general. Have made many friends and found a really good church I love. They are my family away from family. My real family is still back in East Lansing, though, and considering relocating here. Dont know anyone else living in MI anymore. All my friends moved out. Sad to hear of Michigan's sever ills.

If people are considering leaving Michigan, they need to do their research and homework ahead of time. Some places--Arizona, Florida, or California--are not what they are made out to be or what they used to be. CA now has the 4th or 5th highest unemployment rate in the country. Ridiculous taxes and out of control beurocracies and regulations have destroyed the state and pushing people to other states. As has liberalism and political correctness. CA has become a nightmare and a state that is now LOSING people. FL and AZ are not much better. I moved to AZ 4 years ago when its was booming. Those were the days. AZ now has the country's worst education, the most foreclosures, the highest state budget deficit, low job wages, out of control illegal immigration, violent crime in all cities, and bad air pollution. And the southern US isnt doing so well either from what I've heard. My point is that a place that has historically been booming may not be the case anymore. DO YOUR RESEARCH and be informed so you dont make a foolish mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeS View Post
I'll be moving to Tennessee next month. Hoping to find work, but enjoying the mountains too. I do like MI though, especially in the summer.
You better not move anywhere in this economy without finding a job first. It could end up being a huge mistake. Just cuz Tennessee is in the south means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota94 View Post
I don't blame you for wanting to move back.

We were transferred to Scottsdale, AZ 1 1/2 years ago, and returned to MI this past July.

*People in AZ are very unfriendly! It's all about them, what they drive, own, looks, NO Midwest Values.

**Dry heat??? Please, 100-110 degrees in the summer is unbearable! Don't let anyone fool you.

**Housing is still expensive and you surely don't get much for the money.

**Believe me, not seeing grass, rainy/cloudy days is hard. People may think they want to see the sun everyday, but you'd be surprised.

**Illegal immigration is terrible.

**I've read in the major newspaper there, is when you move to Phoenix, you must be able to fit in. It's becoming California.

**I wouldn't want to raise a family there, and I'm glad I didn't have too. So happy to be back in MI!!!!
I agree wholeheartedly! I'm from Indiana, lived in MI for 12 years, and now live in AZ. I can say with confidence that AZ is the worst place I've ever lived. Everything you said was true. The people are AWFUL with no personalities, no friendliness, no Midwest values, etc. They are materialistic and haughty and CA wunnabees. The summer heat is OPPRESSIVE AND AWFUL. The housing market is now AWFUL. The unemployment rate is among the country's fatest growing. Illegal immigrants EVERYWHERE. Bad Air. Homes are way over-valued. I'll stop there for my sake. I actually now like the Midwest and will try to move back the first chance I get.

Last edited by Yac; 05-14-2009 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 05-13-2009, 04:44 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I left Michigan last year. It was a tough decision but so far (knocking on wood) the decision to leave has been a good one. We struggled for over eight years. I lost my career after 9-11 and got into another line of work that didnt pan out either. We looked all over the country but it depends on what phase of life your in. For hubby and I, we had to consider schooling as we are parents and also we are animal lovers. We have two dogs and two cats. With all that thrown in the mix, finding a decent rental was difficult. We also wanted to buy a house and found the places we liked most had too high cost of living. Out of the blue a company in Indiana contacted my husband. Indiana was never on our list of places to go. But the job offer turned out to be fantastic and in this economy we didnt want to take a chance and hold out for a job offer someplace else. We also considered the south but I think we missed the boat on that. It seems job opportunities in the south have slowed down quite a bit. We also encountered the problem with many companies that didnt want to deal with relocaters. Where we are is close to Notre Dame and a good part of the area are transplants so us being from out of state was not an issue with anyone.

I always said if I left Michigan it would be for someplace warm. I would love to retire the snow shovel. But the warm states didnt pan out. So we still get to enjoy the snow. In fact, we get so much lake effect snow, there is more of the snowy goodness here than back home.

But the cost of living is a lot cheaper and the property taxes really make a difference in the home buying process. We have a brand new home, 2,000 sft, 3 beds, 3 baths and a huge lot that looks like a park. We never would have had this nice of a home back in Michigan.

Moving was a huge risk and I was worried. I was afraid it would be a horrible experience and then what? With Michigan having such a hard time, we knew if we left, we wouldnt be able to go back. But we are very lucky everything went in our favor. We are close enough to drive back home but far enough away from the in-laws.
I also moved to South Bend (actually Niles, MI). I was going to move to Georgia, but then I found a good job in my field in South Bend, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to live in Michigan and be close to friends and family (I used to live in Three Rivers, about 30 minutes away). So far, the South Bend area seems like a great place to live, except for the large amount of Notre Lame fans. I was surprised how well the area is doing compared to Michigan, even Niles seems more depressed than South Bend proper and areas like Mishawaka and Granger. It's a shame the economic well being of the area can't transfer over to Michigan.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 AM

197 posts, read 378,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
3. The people, no offense intended, are just not as friendly and helpful as they used to be. (neighborly)
NO KIDDING, and i have no idea whats going on, but every person has turned into a complete jerk on the roads, there is no such thing as courtesy anymore. The people though, half are crazy, the other half are detached and generally rude.... its fun..

Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiipie49525 View Post
I have lived in Grand Rapids pretty much all my life and though I love the Summers here, the winters suck. My family has been talking about moving to Atlanta or Florida (Tampa, or northern Fl). We have two young children (8 & 10) so housing area and education are very important to us. The sad thing is that it is bad everywhere. I think worse here in Michigan, but looking for jobs for my husband in the other two states has been nil to none. I am in the medical field and have found numerous positions for me, but not for him. I think a lot of people from Michigan are struggling due to the economy. Has anyone moved from MI to Fl. or Atl.????
I have. I'm not a MI native, but I did live in the state for 10 years or so. I saw the writing on the wall in 07 and left for FL, first to Orlando and then down to Fort Myers. FL education isn't as bad as the FL bashers try making it out to be, it's actually on a statewide basis ranked higher than MI, but make sure you check out the districts and schools....there are some really good ones and some really bad ones.

As for employment, FL has suffered due to the housing bust..... but not nearly as bad as MI. Medical is always growing here, especially with the large senior population. Governemnt and service based are also usually strong sectors of the labor market here...... but beware if your a business/finance executive or professional.....Tampa ranked dead last in the country, and the rest of FL wasn't far behind.

I've really enjoyed the move, but then again I'm not a native of MI...so I don't have very strong ties to the state...

Old 05-14-2009, 03:46 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I have. I'm not a MI native, but I did live in the state for 10 years or so. I saw the writing on the wall in 07 and left for FL, first to Orlando and then down to Fort Myers. FL education isn't as bad as the FL bashers try making it out to be, it's actually on a statewide basis ranked higher than MI, but make sure you check out the districts and schools....there are some really good ones and some really bad ones.

As for employment, FL has suffered due to the housing bust..... but not nearly as bad as MI. Medical is always growing here, especially with the large senior population. Governemnt and service based are also usually strong sectors of the labor market here...... but beware if your a business/finance executive or professional.....Tampa ranked dead last in the country, and the rest of FL wasn't far behind.

I've really enjoyed the move, but then again I'm not a native of MI...so I don't have very strong ties to the state...
Not sure where you're getting your info on education in Florida vs. Michigan. One recent report put Florida near the bottom with SC and Nevada, and that 51% of high schools in Florida had graduation rates of less than 60% ("dropout factories" they're nicknamed). Only 13% of Michigan's high schools were that bad.

Fact file: America's 'dropout factories' - Education- msnbc.com

Old 05-14-2009, 11:23 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
We live in Arizona and found the folks to be quite friendly.

Made lots of friends, and love the neighbors!

Miss the greenery and water though...and friends and family back "home".

It's Ok though, tis is home now.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:41 AM

859 posts, read 2,149,109 times
I think there is good and bad people in every state, to say that all people are unfriendly in AZ is absurd. Whe went we always had nice People where ever we went WOuld love it in the mountains there ( Sedona area) but a bit pricey and a bit hot in the summer lol

We would move out of Mi to be closer to my Husband who works out of NB. We would be able to see him more But we have a House and we cant just get up and leave so we are here till things get better and we can sell.

Never move without a JOB !!! Not in these Times.....unemployment is bad in every state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan