Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:09 PM

14 posts, read 184,351 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all who have responded to my post about West Michigan so far. Very helpful and knowledgeable information. If there is anyone else with insight please respond.
As far as different nationalities in each community, doesn't matter to me. I am 6 different nationalities. I am part Dutch, Sweetish, German, French, Irish and Portuguese. I am not prejudice.
I have previously lived in Florida and I find Michigan to have similar Beaches along Lake Michigan with no threats of shark attaches and jellyfish stings. It's nice to walk in the water in Michigan lake and not step on a crab or stingray. I am currently living in Arizona. I am tired of the scorching heat and want to live where there is 4 seasons and nice friendly people. I have no problem living where there is snow in the winter. I have previously lived in Colorado, Washington State and Indiana where it snows in the winter months.
I love Music, concerts, boating, jet skiing, cross country skiing, shopping, Farmers Markets, etc. I would like to try snow snurfing sometime, it looks like a lot of fun.

Last edited by IMTM; 11-18-2007 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:27 AM

845 posts, read 3,272,099 times
I lived in Kalamazoo for 10 years. It's a highly underrated community. Aside from having a nice downtown and a big Division-1 university in town, it has Kalamazoo College (a selective liberal arts school), the Kalamazoo Promise (free college tuition for any kid who goes to the public schools), great old city neighborhoods and even a minor league hockey team for those long winter nights.

I moved out of Kalamazoo and landed in East Grand Rapids a few years ago. It's a wonderful community and we're not planning on leaving now that we're here. We looked all over the G.R. metro area trying to find a tiny town with great homes, schools and a central location with a short commute. For us EGR fit that bill perfectly. We haven't lived here long enough to have that "it's our home" feeling we got in Kalamazoo, but so far at least it's even better for us than Kalamazoo was!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 AM

316 posts, read 1,181,929 times
Being close to water, friendly people, seasons..hmm. That's a tough one. Small town I'd go with Richland Michigan, your next to or on Gull Lake one of the nicest lakes in the US. Richland also has very low crime and access to the Gull Lake public schools, one of the better academic places in the state. Larger city I would go Grand Rapids, downtown is pretty cool. Most conservative city of it's size I have been to though, for better or worse...
Kalamazoo would be my last choice, as they have a decent music scene (hippy scene) couple colleges, plenty of artsy things going on, and about 45 minutes from lake Michigan. I don't think you would dislike your decision if you were to try any of the 3.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:59 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
and even a minor league hockey team for those long winter nights.
I forgot about the K-Wings! Great way to spend an evening. We were always able to get really good seats (I'm talking rinkside) for a very decent price. If you have a sweetie, go on Valentine's Day ... they play on pink ice.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:06 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMTM View Post
I love Music, concerts, boating, jet skiing, cross country skiing, shopping, Farmers Markets, etc. I would like to try snow snurfing sometime, it looks like a lot of fun.[/font][/color]
You could probably do some snowboarding at Swiss Valley, a nice little ski resort down around Jones, Michigan -- south of Kalamazoo, in the Three Rivers area.

The mods can feel free to scratch the rest of this if they find it's too off-topic, but since you mentioned farmer's markets, I thought I'd let you know that South Bend has a HUGE one. Open every weekend, year round, indoors, and better than anything we've even found out here in the DC area. So you can get a good farmer's market and do your kayaking down there (on the East Race I mentioned in an earlier post). And again, it's just across the state line!

Old 11-21-2007, 08:14 AM

65 posts, read 233,927 times
Quote:
Thanks to all who have responded to my post about West Michigan so far. Very helpful and knowledgeable information. If there is anyone else with insight please respond.
As far as different nationalities in each community, doesn't matter to me. I am 6 different nationalities. I am part Dutch, Sweetish, German, French, Irish and Portuguese. I am not prejudice.
I have previously lived in Florida and I find Michigan to have similar Beaches along Lake Michigan with no threats of shark attaches and jellyfish stings. It's nice to walk in the water in Michigan lake and not step on a crab or stingray. I am currently living in Arizona. I am tired of the scorching heat and want to live where there is 4 seasons and nice friendly people. I have no problem living where there is snow in the winter. I have previously lived in Colorado, Washington State and Indiana where it snows in the winter months.
I love Music, concerts, boating, jet skiing, cross country skiing, shopping, Farmers Markets, etc. I would like to try snow snurfing sometime, it looks like a lot of fun.
I live in the Holland/Zeeland Area and have my entire life. West Michigan arguably has the most beautiful beaches in the world. We get the opitamy of all four seasons. Summers can be very hot and humid, (all though not long), springs bery pretty, fall colors that can compete with Vermont, lots of snow and mostly grey sky's in the winter.

Holland and Zeeland are very conservative and have a Duth influence, all though Holland is trying to change that by being more divers. Do not let the gang violence that some are talking about scare you. It is very spiratic, and very centralized to only a couple of areas in Holland. And there really is not much activity, and it will be nipped in the bud very quickly. The reason some make it a big deal is because we really do live in a utopia as far as not having much major crimes, so when the police report a spike in gang activity, some residents fear "the sky is falling".

Taxes are not high here, I don't know who said that erlier. They are very low. I pay a total of $2200 for living ina home valued at $150,000 in the city. My parents pay $1600 for living in a $165000 home in the township. If you research some homes in that price range online you will see I am talking about very nice 2000 sq. ft. homes that you would pay $300,000 for in a Chicago suburbs with $5000 taxes. (I know, that's where my grand parents live).

There is a saying that Holland and Zeeland have "a church on every corner". It is a very christian religious area. Some things are still closed on Sunday's, and the entire county that Holland and Zeeland are in does not sell beer or wine on Sunday, (although you can buy alcohol... go figure).

It is a very family friendly area, so if a "night life" with clubs and such is you gig, you will not find it here. Grand Rapids has that sort of thing if you like it.

I see people kayaking the Holland channel and head into lake Michigan, and other rivers in the area.

I truly believe that Holland or Park Township (which is the township on Lake Michigan next to Holland), would be a great fit for you. Park Township has a low millage rate of 3.6, and is a more wealthy area. So you can have a banging home with low taxes, and close to the water and beaches.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:19 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,929 times
I'd check out the holland thread for a more diverse look at feelings on the area IMTM, if you haven't already.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 6,224 times
Quote:
Next summer 2008 I will be touring West Michigan areas of Zeeland, Holland, Kalamazoo, Portage, Battle Creek, Grand Rapids and Muskegon for vacation fun and to check out where I might want to relocate to in the near future. What's the weather like? Where are the best places to kayak at? What is the employment situation like in these areas? Will there be new industries opening in these areas in the near future? What is the music culture like in these areas? I have collected a variety of brochures and magazines with information about these areas. I just wanted to hear what any of you who live in these areas can tell me about your community in these areas of interest.
Lived here 4ever (Zeeland). GR8 area! I would suggest
saugatuck or Grand Haven for your needs. These are 2 places that avoid major "publicity" but offer more than can be expected from other lake shore communities they have it all "so to speak". winter= dead/relaxed, spring=here we go starting to get really fun, summer= ??? great times everybody is in summer mood unexplainable have to live it to appreciate it! Fall= still there just getting ready to hit winter it's beautiful with all the fall color. Saugatuck is your culture destination in summer...check it out while your here. I would say its a must research, relocating as you are(april 1-sept31). Marros resturaunt downtown or Butler are both excellent! Hot summer dayz "GRAND HAVEN"!!!! 4 sure

Old 01-27-2008, 01:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,224 times
got lost. G.h. is summer in MI. If you live in Grand Rapids you are going to Grand Haven, if not your secret isn't safe (your in saugy). Its the place to be! Quick to G.R. beaches boats bodies babes & business! Gr8 place! All resturaunts= gr8! Those 2...thats where I'd live if I were to relocate to W.Mi. Much better options than I've read on this return! Do yourself a favor and check them out before Kalamazoo or muskegon you'll find all "THEY" have to offer and much more! Garuantee it! maybe south haven too. Up North... another deal.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:30 PM

845 posts, read 3,272,099 times
What kind of kayaking?

For sea kayaking you're going to need to head to Lake Michigan. Live close to that and you're fine.

There is no real whitewater kayaking in Michigan, but you probably already figured that out.

If you just like tooling around and fishing, there's really nothing wrong with any of the communities you listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan