Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:42 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Here's a report for everyone to stew over, in case they just don't get enough negative news already:

The Associated Press: Economy bad all over _ even before current crisis

The Census Bureau has come out with a report saying that basically the entire country has been in a recession since 2000. That all the economic gains over the last 8 years have been artificially inflated. How bout them apples.

Now whose buying the first round!
I'll get growlers from the brewery!

Them is rotten apples, and in fact, that article was rotten. There is a great deal of things that are artificially inflated in this country, salaries..opinions. But beyond that I think as bad as it is to say this...there is still a problem that exists in this countries economy that no one can figure out, that my friend is scary. I'm still looking for it, the massive change that will finally level out the influx of bad news, but..what will it be? We already know the failed bailouts will increase MI's unemployment to above 10%, so what will calm the storm?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post
I'll get growlers from the brewery!

Them is rotten apples, and in fact, that article was rotten. There is a great deal of things that are artificially inflated in this country, salaries..opinions. But beyond that I think as bad as it is to say this...there is still a problem that exists in this countries economy that no one can figure out, that my friend is scary. I'm still looking for it, the massive change that will finally level out the influx of bad news, but..what will it be? We already know the failed bailouts will increase MI's unemployment to above 10%, so what will calm the storm?
I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think it will require some kind of "New Deal". As much as people cry that we need to unshackle businesses to see prosperity again, in the age of globalization and unfair trade, we are going to lose that race against developing countries that will continue to do things cheaper and dirtier than Americans are willing to do. At least for the foreseeable future (20 - 30 years). And as incomes continue to deflate, Americans will continue to be low cost low quality goods consumers (because it has become an American pasttime), which will accelerate the problem.

I just finished Thomas Friedman's book "Hot, Flat and Crowded", which covers much of this, and how the U.S. can reinvent itself as the "Green Technology Center" of this century. It's been talked about before, but it's perfect for Michigan. Interesting read. Put it on your Christmas list.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:53 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Redshift:

1. When you say you've talked to people all over the country about Michigan, and they're all glad they're not there, I can only imagine you're as balanced in your opinion as you are on this board. If you use every opportunity you have to rage against a place, of course people are going to say, "Well, that sounds awful! I don't want to live there either!"

I have a friend out in Massachusetts who talks very highly of Michigan and people in Boston say, "Wow. I had no idea. I'd love to go visit sometime!" Michigan has its problems, but come on. It's one of the most beautiful states. You're out of control.

2. I suspect it's safe to say that someone who lumps 10 million people into one negative category and brags about how many millionaires are in his new hometown might come off as a bit of a prick in person and wonder why people aren't friendly to him. This would be especially true in a state where status and wealth are not nearly as valued as on the east coast. I'm glad you found people who share your values.

The culture of the Upper Midwest is outwardly reserved until you get to know people. It's sort of like New England in that sense. You are in the South now and should enjoy the superficial niceties embedded in that culture.

3. Your issues are mostly personal and you're using a state as your scape goat. Old Navy's closing stores across the country. I have family who have been laid off or fired from jobs worldwide. Heck, one family member lost everything to Enron. I don't blame Texas. A few shootings happened in my neighborhood in DC. I had numerous things stolen. I still love my neighborhood and the city as a whole.

4. Some of the most unique and brilliant people I've ever known - educated or otherwise - live in Michigan. Also some of the nicest, and I've lived several places.

5. Contrary to what you might tell yourself, you are not happy now. You may be happier than you've ever been, but that's kind of like telling a snail moving east from Kansas that it's closer to the ocean than it's every been.

Best to you. I hope you find peace within your heart someday.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 AM

10 posts, read 39,757 times
my posts are deleted. you people are hiding from the truth. a sad sad one sided story. keep your heads in your little holes. you can go so far as to call me names and i can't speak the truth. again, not one person has asked me for proof. not one. i do not care what your opinion is of me. i simply do not care. good luck. you all will need it. rejoice in the fact that you will not hear from me again. peace

Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,522 times
Well. apparently i offended someone, since i got a "warning" SO i apologize to whom ever it may have been. I honestly did not think my post was attacking. I have never attacked anyone on here.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
We all have been sort of shut down here , with deleted posts........ I guess look for this thread to be ending soon, maybe thats the best thing.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift299 View Post
my posts are deleted. you people are hiding from the truth. a sad sad one sided story. keep your heads in your little holes. you can go so far as to call me names and i can't speak the truth. again, not one person has asked me for proof. not one. i do not care what your opinion is of me. i simply do not care. good luck. you all will need it. rejoice in the fact that you will not hear from me again. peace
Finally. Just kidding reshift. I'm sure your a swell fella.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:35 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Michigan is a unique state, unlike any other.
Only the survival of the few can handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan