Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 03:37 AM

20 posts, read 62,560 times

Advertisements

I honestly can't wait till I can get out of Michigan. I'm no longer in a public school, but those are going downhill pretty quickly. I went to what would be considered a good school here and I know that they're having trouble affording paper and supplies like that. Also, massive teacher layoffs, keeping the older teachers and getting rid of the newer ones, which is very unfortunate. Once again, it's a buyer's marker and I don't see it becoming a seller's market any time soon. It's sad.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 PM

54 posts, read 259,349 times
This dip in prices and value allows for younger and less income buyers at having genuine opportunities at buying homes. This low price housing that is going on in Michigan just makes Michigan more livable for new comers.

What is sad is the disparity of school spending per school district.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:24 PM

293 posts, read 849,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
This dip in prices and value allows for younger and less income buyers at having genuine opportunities at buying homes. This low price housing that is going on in Michigan just makes Michigan more livable for new comers.

What is sad is the disparity of school spending per school district.
The problem with this is that even though the cost of housing is going down, making it more affordable on lower incomes, the wages are also declining for many and employment is very unstable. Because most parts of MI did not have the grossly over-inflated housing prices that other parts of the country were seeing, the proportion of wages to housing cost is still about the same as before. Also, it doesn't matter if a $70,000 house is a total steal - if you're only making $8 an hour your house payments are still going to be hard to afford. Add some debt accumulated during a layoff or long period of unemployment on top of that, and it's going to be harder because mortgage terms wouldn't likely be as favorable.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:06 PM

77 posts, read 414,206 times
I presently live in Va. Beach and my fiance lives in Flint. When I first started to post on this forum I was optimistic about moving up to Michigan, not Flint, but the Grand Rapids area just because it appears they are attempting to bring in business from other fields and pushing the medical facilitys such as a new free standing Childrens Hospital, MSU is building there medical school there, and I believe some research centers also. Plus the one time I was there it appears to be a clean place, people with good attitudes, etc. I even have flirted with the idea of living in downtown Detroit, and I am waiting on some respones in this forum on that idea. The majority of postings seem to be negative mostly centering on crime, economy, bad roads, racial tensions, state money not being used wisely, plummeting real estate values,unions, etc. Intermixed with these postings are some positive ones, not many but some, I suppose optimists. Optimists who feel that Michigan is still beautiful, good family people, hard working citizens. They don't trash Michigan or Detroit, and scold those who do. I live in the South and enjoy it. Is it perfect, nope. Real estate is high and it's getting a little crowded, but no more then anywhere else that is popular. Virginia is a little prudish at times but I will take that with the excellent schools ( not all are, so don't bash me on that wagon), relative low crime, very friendly people. Some may think you will not fit in if your not Baptist, baloney. Ever heard of Edgar Cayce, his HQ is here in Va. Beach and so is Pat Robertson CBN, two opposite idealogys, so we do have diversity, it's not all Bible thumping as some may think. The amenities we have in this town are awesome. Recreation centers that cost $50 a year membership, built by our tax dollars, roads are in great shape, but we don't get the crazy weather either, except for the occasional hurricane, but not on the scale of Florida, not yet anyway My point is I guess before I continue to ramble on is 6 months ago I was strongly considering the move, but if one wants to move into Michigan and one reads the forum here it really discourages an outsider from coming into the state, and I must say I am discouraged. I would even like to be one of those who come in and watch Michigan come back, and be a part of it, other states and cities have done it, why not Michigan and Detroit/Flint. I will continue to read and post, but not with the same optimism as before. I am now considering staying here and waiting another year or so until my fiance can move down here, where she says people open the door for her at the 7-11 or have strangers say hello and make eye contact while she walks on the boardwalk, something she says is new to her. I am sorry, but the south is all cracked up it's to be, not perfect I admit, the question I think is, how much is one willing to tolerate wherever they live.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 PM

31 posts, read 198,778 times
Default Michigan is a good place

Yes-- there are some definite and serious challenges facing Michigan. Basically, an entire lifestyle is disappearing with the automakers cutting back. The days of graduating high school, getting a job on the line and making enough money to own a home, nice car, a boat and maybe a cottage are gone.
But, Virginia-- internet message boards are notorious for attracting negativity, no matter where you are.

I loved living in Michigan. I found people in the Detroit area to be very friendly and open. I would move back in a heartbeat for the right opportunity.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,454 times
Quote:
The days of graduating high school, getting a job on the line and making enough money to own a home, nice car, a boat and maybe a cottage are gone.
Bingo, you hit the nail on the head. The key is to take a step back and assess things with as little emotion as possible. Understandably, this almost always rules out those who fit the description above as they're feeling the hurt personally.

Michigan has all the ingredients to bounce back stronger than ever. Sometimes, you need to take a step back to take several steps forward. Certain states have inherent weaknesses that would preclude the type of resurgence that MI needs - traditionally low population (Montana), small geographic size (RI, DE), below average educational system (Idaho, NM), etc. Sure MI has problems largely stemming from the auto industry, but imagine the potential once we're weaned off of the Big-3. After CA, MI probably has the best public university system - yes, better than VA. MI has natural resources, the Lakes, agriculture, tourism, proximity to the US' largest trading partner, a big metro area, a low cost of living, etc. - a combination that very few states have. People act as if there will be no life after the Big 3. With some vision and a sound plan that's more substance than gimicks, MI will get there sooner than later.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:43 PM

10 posts, read 40,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia1 View Post
I presently live in Va. Beach and my fiance lives in Flint. When I first started to post on this forum I was optimistic about moving up to Michigan, not Flint, but the Grand Rapids area just because it appears they are attempting to bring in business from other fields and pushing the medical facilitys such as a new free standing Childrens Hospital, MSU is building there medical school there, and I believe some research centers also. Plus the one time I was there it appears to be a clean place, people with good attitudes, etc. I even have flirted with the idea of living in downtown Detroit, and I am waiting on some respones in this forum on that idea. The majority of postings seem to be negative mostly centering on crime, economy, bad roads, racial tensions, state money not being used wisely, plummeting real estate values,unions, etc. Intermixed with these postings are some positive ones, not many but some, I suppose optimists. Optimists who feel that Michigan is still beautiful, good family people, hard working citizens. They don't trash Michigan or Detroit, and scold those who do. I live in the South and enjoy it. Is it perfect, nope. Real estate is high and it's getting a little crowded, but no more then anywhere else that is popular. Virginia is a little prudish at times but I will take that with the excellent schools ( not all are, so don't bash me on that wagon), relative low crime, very friendly people. Some may think you will not fit in if your not Baptist, baloney. Ever heard of Edgar Cayce, his HQ is here in Va. Beach and so is Pat Robertson CBN, two opposite idealogys, so we do have diversity, it's not all Bible thumping as some may think. The amenities we have in this town are awesome. Recreation centers that cost $50 a year membership, built by our tax dollars, roads are in great shape, but we don't get the crazy weather either, except for the occasional hurricane, but not on the scale of Florida, not yet anyway My point is I guess before I continue to ramble on is 6 months ago I was strongly considering the move, but if one wants to move into Michigan and one reads the forum here it really discourages an outsider from coming into the state, and I must say I am discouraged. I would even like to be one of those who come in and watch Michigan come back, and be a part of it, other states and cities have done it, why not Michigan and Detroit/Flint. I will continue to read and post, but not with the same optimism as before. I am now considering staying here and waiting another year or so until my fiance can move down here, where she says people open the door for her at the 7-11 or have strangers say hello and make eye contact while she walks on the boardwalk, something she says is new to her. I am sorry, but the south is all cracked up it's to be, not perfect I admit, the question I think is, how much is one willing to tolerate wherever they live.
For Pete's sake, Virginia, please don't make major life decisions based on the opinions of online posters. That's just ridiculous. The only way for you to know if you want to move to Michigan or not is to come spend some extended time in the areas you are considering. If you like the place, the people, the opportunity, then make the move. If you don't, then stay in Virginia. The opinions offered here (either positive or negative) really shouldn't factor so much in your decision.

In the last couple of posts you have referred to Michigan people as essentially rude, unfriendly and fat, and said your fiance wanted to move to Virginia next year. If that is the case, why are you considering a move? If you are happy where you are, and your fiance is open to moving there, what is the issue?

Old 05-17-2007, 12:46 AM

33 posts, read 157,497 times
Default I love Michigan

I love Michigan. I wish I had a beach home on lake Michigan. The problem with Michigan as I see it is the unions. They lower the bar. Employers have to pay more in wages and salaries and production goes down just like those European crap holes they call Germany and France. Give a free market society a chance and some breathing room and it will prosper and correct itself(The Detroit from long ago). Bring in the unions and they'll give you the Detroit of today.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:11 AM

54 posts, read 259,349 times
Hearing the anti-union rhetoric is annoying, but is probably a cause for some problems.

The free market is transforming Michigan's manufacturing landscape. Just so the customer can achieve more for less, the production moves south or to a developing nation. This is the global free market at work -- which goes both ways for the consumer and employer.

The comradery of my unionist grandfathers was for pride, self worth, increased production, and safety. Their unions and brotherhoods worked with pride and worth for the company they helped built, etc.

It's sad to see some of those morals and principals are going away. It's also sad to see so much resentment for unions.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:58 PM

77 posts, read 414,206 times
Well let me clarify on the move of my fiance down here. The earliest she could move down would be in 1 year, but it might be 2 years. We have done this long distance thing for about 7 years now and for me it is getting old, so since my fiance is a "Babe" and a wonderful person to boot I want to get together before I qualify for my senior citizen card I just want to apologize to anyone who may think there is blanket statement from me on rude and obese Michiganders. Posters in this forum have said the same about areas of Michigan. The obesity issue is clear, but that does not bother me at all, it is just an observation, and that issue would not deter me from moving up, in fact, I could start some Jazzercise classes Rudeness: I personaly have seen some examples in the Flint area on a regular basis, and it just might be the area she lives in. I have visited several areas of Michigan and have run into some wonderful people, so again I know not everyone is rude in Michigan. You have a point Orchardman, I could just sit tight and stay here, but Michigan is attractive in a lot of ways and the major one is real estate, it's much cheaper. The real estate in the Mid-Atlantic area is just insane pretty much pricing us single income folks out of the market and even with my fiance's income, we would still be hard pressed to find a decent neighborhood to live in (yes even in lovely Va. Beach we have bad neighborhoods ). OH!!! and before I go, Cato....are you sure MI universitys are better then VA university. They don't call UVA "The University" for nothing My son goes to Va. Tech and one day we will win the big one, I will say they are not up to the calibar of UM in football, but one day we'll get there I think Michigan schools are awesome, now if we can get UM just to drop giving points according to your race for admissions that would be even better, but that is another thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan