Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I haven't seen that here in the Ludington area either. Some residents go South for the winter, but it sure isn't 2/3rds of the population, I would highly doubt that 2/3rds of the seniors leave during the winter.
Drive through Pentwater in December some time. Ludington shrinks a great deal too though not as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Drive through Pentwater in December some time. Ludington shrinks a great deal too though not as much.
The town appears to shrink, but the actual residents usually don't leave in droves. What you see are the lack of the Summer tourists.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
The town appears to shrink, but the actual residents usually don't leave in droves. What you see are the lack of the Summer tourists.
Oh it shrinks alright. Tamarac Village, Epworth Heights are a few examples. It was a surprise to me to discover that a number hotels close! Traffic on 10 is *considerably* less too.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 PM

And just WHY would the motels close??? Lack of summer TOURISTS, not due to less local residents. Traffic on 10 is less why??? less TOURISTS! Thanks for proving my point that the majority of size difference is due to the lack of Summer Tourists going home and NOT local residents leaving during the winter. Epworth Heights has always been summer only for the majority of people that come up from Chicago and other areas - making them what... Tourists, not local residents. Tamarac Village is a trailer park that is part retirees, and part seasonal rentals. It is NOT indicative of the overall demographics of Ludington. Ludington does shrink a LITTLE, but not as much as you are trying to make it sound. Just how familiar are you with this area? I was born here 45 years ago and have spent a vast majority of my life in this area, I do know how Ludington shrinks and swells during the different seasons.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:20 AM

749 posts, read 2,772,321 times
Here come the fudgies!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:36 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,863 times
Quote:
And just WHY would the motels close??? Lack of summer TOURISTS, not due to less local residents. Traffic on 10 is less why??? less TOURISTS! Thanks for proving my point that the majority of size difference is due to the lack of Summer Tourists going home and NOT local residents leaving during the winter. Epworth Heights has always been summer only for the majority of people that come up from Chicago and other areas - making them what... Tourists, not local residents. Tamarac Village is a trailer park that is part retirees, and part seasonal rentals. It is NOT indicative of the overall demographics of Ludington. Ludington does shrink a LITTLE, but not as much as you are trying to make it sound. Just how familiar are you with this area? I was born here 45 years ago and have spent a vast majority of my life in this area, I do know how Ludington shrinks and swells during the different seasons.
As I'm one of those summer tourist I never understood why Ludington was built up the way it has been were the summer tourist people do not need those stores like Home Depot.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
As I'm one of those summer tourist I never understood why Ludington was built up the way it has been were the summer tourist people do not need those stores like Home Depot.
It is because it is the largest town in the area outside of Muskegon so a lot of the smaller communities come to Ludington to shop. Right at the end of the freeway so it is easy to get to. Other than that I have wondered the same thing for decades.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
We're dealing with a difference in semantics. Folks who stay all summer in places like Tamarac & Epworth aren't tourists, they're summer RESIDENTS. People who spend a few days up to a few weeks are TOURISTS. People who support Ludington's summer tourism are summer RESIDENTS.

I remember a Saturday night, about 9:30 pm in downtown Ludington in early February. Didn't see a car driving on Ludington Ave for 15 minutes.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
I remember a Saturday night, about 9:30 pm in downtown Ludington in early February. Didn't see a car driving on Ludington Ave for 15 minutes.
You caught it on an off day then, because it is busier than that, even in the middle of the winter usually. You cannot base your statements from a visit or two.

Either way you want to call it, Epworth Heights and Tamarac Village residents, do not make the town lose 2/3rds of its population in the winter. I am not going to make anymore comments about this because I LIVE here, I know what I am talking about and refuse to argue with somebody who has limited personal experiences and wants to drag the thread off topic.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 PM

13 posts, read 62,337 times
Do you have a college near you? It's move out and graduation time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan