Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:15 AM

58 posts, read 162,353 times

Advertisements

crazyme4878, if you would, please PM me about that homestead you know of. I can't figure out how to PM you,lol) We are open to look at all areas.

As far as the choice between U.P. and Kentucky- I was the one who thought I wanted to go to KY, DH has always been set on the U.P., I love KY, it is beautiful there also, BUT..KY has it's drawbacks ..They may not have the black flies, but they have plenty of mosquitos and deer flies, horse flies and worst of all LOTS of ticks and chiggers. ticks and chiggers are sneaky-you don't know you've got em until it's too late. at least with the flies you know they are there!
Parts of KY have a relatively short, mild winter. But it gets very hot and humid there in the summer. I would think you would HAVE to have air-conditioning there, and I do not like air-conditioning in my home.
We have done some serious property shopping in KY also. Can't find exactly what we want. We can't seem to find anything that is "out" far enough for us-at least not anything that we can afford, lol.
So I am a convert. I am settled on the U.P. We just have to locate the perfect-for-us place...I hope we can do that when we head up there in a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
I'm getting a kick out of this thread.

My Dad's side of the family is from the U.P., but Mom's side hails largely from KY. Central KY mostly.

Even though Michigan has its fair share of bugs, KY wins that battle. AC is a must down there. And poisonous snakes can be an issue. Watch the reaction of someone from KY when they step on a garden hose....

But, wherever you are, you'll make do.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:21 PM

217 posts, read 607,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I'm getting a kick out of this thread.

My Dad's side of the family is from the U.P., but Mom's side hails largely from KY. Central KY mostly.

Even though Michigan has its fair share of bugs, KY wins that battle. AC is a must down there. And poisonous snakes can be an issue. Watch the reaction of someone from KY when they step on a garden hose....

But, wherever you are, you'll make do.
I have friends who live in the Missouri Ozarks and I absolutely love it down there, but the thought of having to deal with poisonous copperhead snakes isn't too comforting, especially since I have a couple of dogs. They've found some big ones around their house and barn. No, thank you!

I just saw a small garter snake while hiking in MQT a few days ago (is it just me or are they becoming more and more common to see around here?) and one of my dogs got a little curious sticking his face up to it and jumped back a few times when it hissed and lunged at him. I can't imagine what he would do if he encountered a copperhead or other poisonous snake. I'd probably freak out and be getting ready to take him to the vet!

The other factor was the heat. The first time I ever went down to the Ozarks it was 90+ degrees with the sun directly overhead and 90% humidity. That had to be the hottest sunlight I've ever felt. I was dripping sweat in about 10 seconds. Kentucky is down in the same general area and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same over there.

You'll get your fair share of black flies and mosquitoes in the U.P., too. I remember a handful of years ago when the beaches along Lake Superior northwest of Marquette had "black fog" because there were so many black flies. It's usually not that bad, though the flies will always manage to find you.

And we have ticks, as well, though it's not too bad. I've picked a handful off each of my dogs here in Marquette (that's about average, I'd say), but compared to my trip to Minnesota over Memorial Day weekend, that's nothing. Took them hiking at Jay Cooke State Park just south of Duluth and I took 30 ticks off one of my dogs in one day And by one day I mean a pair of two hour hikes in which they stayed on the trail. Not sure how bad they are over in the Ontonagon area. My dogs have gotten ticks at Porcupine Mountains State Park just west of Ontonagon, though.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:04 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedlady View Post
So I am a convert. I am settled on the U.P. We just have to locate the perfect-for-us place...I hope we can do that when we head up there in a few weeks.
Hi again. It sounds like the search is in high gear. From a prior post Ontonagon County was mentioned as a possibility. Pretty nice country and with things happening with the economy there (a prision closing just announced between Houghton and Ontonagon) property should be reasonably priced.

It really depends on how far out you plan to be with regard to things like shopping and general living necessities. If you stay closer to the Houghton side, you'll be less than an hour to selection of shopping, medical care (Aspirius or Portage Health), and the things that a major university (Michigan Tech) offers to a community. From Onto south and west it gets pretty remote.

Good luck,

Ron

Old 06-06-2009, 05:42 AM

Default oh yeah, high gear- long post

We plan to head North over the 4th of July weekend. We have 20 or so places on our list to look at! Probably way too many for 3 days, but we can always come back. This will be a "preliminary" trip to weed out certain locations and properties-of course we will also add new ones-that's just how DH is!
So..we have places on our list to look at in the following locations. Bear in mind we live in Ohio now and are not afraid to drive in the snow and ice. The perfect spot will be our "camp" as I guess you call it, and then hopefully become our permanent home when we retire (about 10 years from now). And we want to be "out"-prefer no neighbors in sight! And funds are limited-cost of living (taxes, etc.)
Your input is appreciated:
Republic
Matchwood
Ewen
Bruce Crossing
Rockland
Rock
Champion
Skanee
L'Anse
Trenary
Paulding

Thanks for any input you may have. (I am loving this thread, gaining so much info!)
Martha

Old 06-06-2009, 04:38 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Be careful about moving to some very remote flat land parcel , just because its cheap......... I know some folks from Southern Il. who settled for the woods , flat , nothing to do , and lots of bugs ( no breeze ). Must drive to a lake , instead of out the back door.

They retired , built a modest structure , but now after a couple of years , feel disconnected from family and friends. No one wants to come visit , She misses the Grandkids , and is now growing to hate the lifestyle..... Unless you are a recluse , mis-fit type , you will not be happy for long in such secularism...... Most people require even a limited social life . being near a larger city , like Marquette , can still give that remote feeling , yet , still are but minutes away from culture, restaurant diversity , and stimulating conversation......... besides , with something to do , its more likely the Kids will come to visit once in a while. Think about it , long and hard , before jumping on a real deal on property no one else wants , for obvious reasons......

Old 06-06-2009, 07:29 PM

Default valid point

Darstar, that is a valid point. DH is a recluse, misfit type, lol. I am wiser, and a bit more social (not mcuh) of course! I plan to gently steer him in the direction of something that is a good compromise.

Again, this is GREAT. Any more pro's or con's about any of these areas?
Martha

Old 06-07-2009, 05:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Hm. I see someone recommended spending a winter there before committing - I think that was great advice but it seems you are ignoring it. You really need to experience something to know it.

Then this
"He doesn't hunt much anymore but might start that up again when we can't afford groceries anymore."

So.....are you prepared financially to not default on the property if it doesn't work out for you and you have a tough time selling? The wildlife and wolves keep eating all your chickens?
Or one of you gets an illness and you have to live closer to Dr.s and a hospital?

Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Hm. I see someone recommended spending a winter there before committing - I think that was great advice but it seems you are ignoring it. You really need to experience something to know it.

Then this
"He doesn't hunt much anymore but might start that up again when we can't afford groceries anymore."

So.....are you prepared financially to not default on the property if it doesn't work out for you and you have a tough time selling? The wildlife and wolves keep eating all your chickens?
Or one of you gets an illness and you have to live closer to Dr.s and a hospital?
Giesle, I appreciate your concerns. As far as spending a winter there before committing-this is a VERY good idea. I am not ignoring that advice. However, circumstances have given us the means to buy property now and the real estate market being as it is, I think now is the time to buy. We are both still gainfully employed here in OH and fully intend to stay at the jobs we have until retirement in 10 or so years. Having a base in the U.P. to vacation and play with, will give us plenty of time to decide if we TRULY will make the permanent move when the time comes.
My comment about not being able to afford groceries was somewhat tongue in cheek. We will need to live frugally after retirement, (we live pretty frugally now) but I don't really envision things getting that bad for us, The point I am making is that IF we need to, we are the type of people who know how to hunt, fish and garden to make ends meet.

Lot's of food for thought being brought up and all is appreciated. Keep the comments coming, please.
Martha

Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
All this second thought stuff , brings up something we all want to not think about.

When we were in out teens and twenties , we all were bullet proof . As the aging process kicks in , things change , as to priorities , needs , and abilities...... A good example is wood heat in your cottage. As you get older , the desire for going to the wall and turning the dial becomes even a requirement over a luxury. Many of younger friends ( locals ) , tell me that when they "get older" the wood boiler in the back yard will be retired also. !

All this brings up an even more important thing , good medical and other health needs. having the EMS close by , and , able to find you in the deep woods , an important item. Good Hospitals , clinics , dental care , all things that will rize on your wants list.....as you get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan