Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:12 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Oh isn't that cute , look at the tough guy talk. You can try and impress your lame MI cohorts with the schoolyard babble but I know better, I used to live in MI......a bunch of whimps.
Does anybody else see the frigging humor in this sentence? Complain about the "tough guy talk" then does the same thing (and can't even spell it right at that).

Pssst. 1CC, it's W-I-M-P-S, there is no "H" in it. Looks like we have the water, AND the better schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 07:30 AM

749 posts, read 2,439,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Does anybody else see the frigging humor in this sentence? Complain about the "tough guy talk" then does the same thing (and can't even spell it right at that).

Pssst. 1CC, it's W-I-M-P-S, there is no "H" in it. Looks like we have the water, AND the better schools.
Listen Einstein, we're writing on a public forum, not producing a presidential speech. I'm wiiling to bet I could get no further than about 4 into your post history and identify a misspelling.

Yeah your schools are so great they have to bribe parents with a promise of 4 years of college for thier students to attend the crime ridden dumps.

Your schools are so great they are producing the political and business leaders that are responsible for the 15% unemployment, decaying cities, falling property values, etc,.........enjoy it!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:41 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Quote:
Listen Einstein, we're writing on a public forum, not producing a presidential speech. I'm wiiling to bet I could get no further than about 4 into your post history and identify a misspelling.

Yeah your schools are so great they have to bribe parents with a promise of 4 years of college for thier students to attend the crime ridden dumps.

Your schools are so great they are producing the political and business leaders that are responsible for the 15% unemployment, decaying cities, falling property values, etc,.........enjoy it!
Go ahead, go back 4 or 5 posts, dig through them all. Let's see who has the higher percentage of bad grammar, and spelling if that really is what you want to base your lame argument on. I really don't care. I've seen the schools in Florida, and I have seen the schools in Michigan. I think I will stand by my statement that overall we have the better schools. We are also producing the Engineers, Doctors, Scientists, and leaders of Industry that are reshaping the way America does business. It is our Politicians who are useless.

It looks like anyone would only have to look at EVERY one of your posts to find mis-spellings. SO I wouldn't get too deep into that argument if I were you.

Crime ridden dumps? LOL.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:42 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:

How old are you???? 16? 18? Probably living in moms basement using her computer. You seem quite childish. Our colleges are some of the best around. I would hardly call University of Michigan or Michigan state university "crime ridden dumps". Most of the crime in Michigan is in Detroit proper, the rest of the state is quite safe. Even the ring of suburbs around detroit are safe. Every state has a decayed urban center, so dont pin that on us. Ever been to Grand Rapids??? Hardly a decayed city. The auto industry is rebounding, in fact Ford is doing great. Florida, Arizona and Nevada lead the nation in forclosures and falling property value, NOT michigan. We build your cars, grow your food we are not leaches off the tax payers as you say. You dont know a thing about Michigan, so why dont you go to another forum.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I searched all around the internet and found nothing related to this subject. Can anyone provide I link that supports these claims? The only articles I found related to Arizona and water were 3 years old.
I think there are other resources a bit closer than the great lakes for them to get water like....... THE OCEAN. There is more than one process to remove the salt and make ocean water drinkable. Besides I've read stories that claim they are not even close to having a water problem and other stories that say they MAY have one in the future.
If you google "Gov. Bill Richardson...Great Lakes Water" you will find a ton of news articles about how the governor of NM has been pushing for years to have a pipeline built from the Great Lakes to the SW states. Apparently there is a drought in the SW right now, and the SE has also been experiencing water issues and droughts over the past few years to add to the mayhem and concern over water supply.

Yes, the ocean is a lot closer to the desert SW than the Great Lakes, but from what I have read, desalination of ocean water is prohibitively expensive and not a realistic option at this point to supply water to the millions who would need it if and when their supply did dry up. If that were a viable option then LA and the other huge population centers of CA would probably have utilized it years ago instead of building the LA Aquaduct system back in the early 20th century that diverts water from the Owens River in the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains to supply the city of LA and all of its suburbs.

I also read a post over on the Phoenix forum here recently in which one of the Phoenix natives stated that some banks in AZ are refusing loans to people buying in certain areas up around Anthem and Carefree because the water supply there is questionable and they are afraid of people walking away from their homes and defaulting on their loans when they run out of water. I can't post a link, because it would take me all day to search through that forum to find it, but that's what they said, and I believe they said that they read it in the local newspaper or heard it on the local TV news in Phoenix.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:05 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
Quote:
Oh isn't that cute , look at the tough guy talk. You can try and impress your lame MI cohorts with the schoolyard babble but I know better, I used to live in MI......a bunch of whimps.

GM didn't supply WWII supplies for free,they were paid for it so that point is moot. Fact is if no bailout it would have crippled MI even moreso than any other state.

BTW I live FL and much to the chagrin of the doomsday water hoarders you can no longer include the South as one of the parched areas, it's been raining like hell down here. The lake behind my house that I could walk 100 yards out into on dry lakebed 2 years ago.........it's over my head right at the dock now.
And one hot, dry Florida summer would dry it right back up again. I have a friend in FL, so I know it's been raining some there over the past several weeks...so what? It would have to rain for months on end to truly make a dent if FL is in a drought, which is what the news media have been saying for the past several years. Personally, I hope that FL doesn't end up with a water shortage, or any other state in the SE, but if it's going to happen, it will, whether anyone wants it to or not.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 AM

336 posts, read 908,631 times
Quote:

GM didn't supply WWII supplies for free,they were paid for it so that point is moot. Fact is if no bailout it would have crippled MI even moreso than any other state.

BTW I live FL and much to the chagrin of the doomsday water hoarders you can no longer include the South as one of the parched areas, it's been raining like hell down here. The lake behind my house that I could walk 100 yards out into on dry lakebed 2 years ago.........it's over my head right at the dock now.

Be sure to check for gators before you dive in.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,693 times
Quote:

I don't understand. Florida has higher crime rates than Michigan, higher foreclosure rate than Michigan, University of Michigan ranked 27th nationally and the highest ranked Florida school was 47th. Outside of Detroit Public Schools, Michigan public schools rank better than Florida.

Now that I find out you're Florida, you owe Michigan. I'm sick of my tax dollars funding your state because you constantly populate a hurricane area and are a gateway for illegal immigrants.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,284,297 times
Do I understand correctly that a guy from Florida is complaining that Michigan got some benefit from the feds? Michigan has been a tax donor state for decades, it's about time we got a little bit of it back.

Florida, especially south Florida, would still be a barely inhabitable swamp if not for the Army Corps of Engineers. Florida has been a tax recipient state for decades. Trolls should always check their facts before posting.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
If you google "Gov. Bill Richardson...Great Lakes Water" you will find a ton of news articles about how the governor of NM has been pushing for years to have a pipeline built from the Great Lakes to the SW states. Apparently there is a drought in the SW right now, and the SE has also been experiencing water issues and droughts over the past few years to add to the mayhem and concern over water supply.

Yes, the ocean is a lot closer to the desert SW than the Great Lakes, but from what I have read, desalination of ocean water is prohibitively expensive and not a realistic option at this point to supply water to the millions who would need it if and when their supply did dry up. If that were a viable option then LA and the other huge population centers of CA would probably have utilized it years ago instead of building the LA Aquaduct system back in the early 20th century that diverts water from the Owens River in the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains to supply the city of LA and all of its suburbs.

I also read a post over on the Phoenix forum here recently in which one of the Phoenix natives stated that some banks in AZ are refusing loans to people buying in certain areas up around Anthem and Carefree because the water supply there is questionable and they are afraid of people walking away from their homes and defaulting on their loans when they run out of water. I can't post a link, because it would take me all day to search through that forum to find it, but that's what they said, and I believe they said that they read it in the local newspaper or heard it on the local TV news in Phoenix.

I had read about that took from NM. However I have also read some links in the Az forum and also am texting with my brother as I type. He said they have had record rain falls this year and every lake is at or is exceeding 100% and they are dumping it. With people having water bills under $50 I'd say they are not drying up just yet. Hell growing up our water bill from Detroit was always high and my dad bitched about it and that was years ago. He says California's biggest problem is they are diverting a lot of water to save some stupid rat or something that is endangered.
Latest text is they are dealing with flooding, mud slides and a ton of snow in north Az. I'd be willing to bet there are going to be shortages some years and more in others. Just like our lake levels here. Doom and gloom for years and then the levels came back. Who woulda thunk? Does anyone know how much water we have now compared to say...... 100,000 years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan