Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:22 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdox View Post
We are looking in Monroe, Frenchtown area... Nice houses by the water. So you are saying if you move to Monroe stay West of 75? We are looking just north of Sterling State Park between Dixy Hwy and the water. Is that a bad spot? Please and thank you for any advice you can give. Don't want to make a 200K mistake. Are there zip codes, specifically, to avoid?

WebdoX
MI-Roger is correct. The areas along the water are generally very nice and there are some beautiful homes there. The area you describe sounds fine. I was referring to the older neighborhoods in east Monroe between downtown Monroe and I-75, just as he said. That is the area with the most crime and worst reputation for drugs, etc. The areas out by the lake attract people with money who enjoy water recreation or just living by the water. One of the hospice patients that I cared for was a top executive at Ford Motor Co. who lived in that area and had a beautiful home and boat.

Another area of Monroe that I personally love and would consider if I was moving there is N. Custer Rd. along the River Raisin west of Telegraph and all the way out to Raisinville Rd. There are some beautiful homes there that back up to the river. The river is not very deep there, more scenic than useful I think, but it is a very nice, pretty area and some of the lots are good sized. S. Custer between Telegraph and Raisinville also has some beautiful homes that back up to the other side of the river, but it is a busy divided highway so there is a lot more traffic.

Last edited by canudigit; 07-07-2016 at 05:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
MI-Roger is correct. The areas along the water are generally very nice and there are some beautiful homes there. The area you describe sounds fine. I was referring to the older neighborhoods in east Monroe between downtown Monroe and I-75, just as he said. That is the area with the most crime and worst reputation for drugs, etc. The areas out by the lake attract people with money who enjoy water recreation or just living by the water. One of the hospice patients that I cared for was a top executive at Ford Motor Co. who lived in that area and had a beautiful home and boat.

Another area of Monroe that I personally love and would consider if I was moving there is N. Custer Rd. along the River Raisin west of Telegraph and all the way out to Raisinville Rd. There are some beautiful homes there that back up to the river. The river is not very deep there, more scenic than useful I think, but it is a very nice, pretty area and some of the lots are good sized. S. Custer between Telegraph and Raisinville also has some beautiful homes that back up to the other side of the river, but it is a busy divided highway so there is a lot more traffic.
One warning. Once you live on the water, you will never want to not live on the water again. When you have never lived on the water, you think the upcharge is not worth it. Then you get waterfront, and that changes. totally worth it, even if you do not have access. I cannot tell you why. I can probably list some reasons, but it will not capture why it is so great. Just be warned, you will be hooked if you get riverfront or lakefront.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:18 PM

16 posts, read 23,609 times
We just purchased a home in Frenchtown which is actually just north of Monroe. The area we bought in is not by the water. We are in the more farming/agricultural area. There is a lama ranch just down the road. Calder Dairy is north of there in Carleton. This area is west of Telegraph and north of city of Monroe. My husband works with a state policeman who worke in this area for 20 years. Yes, part of Monroe east of the downtown can be runned down I've heard. The are we are moving to is mostly farmland and homes with acreage. It's a really pretty area. We picked this area after living downriver (half hour north) for many years. We wanted to move to the country, but all the stores/shops are only about 10 minutes drive from our home. We are starting a farm so we chose this area. The state policeman said this is a very nice area and has very little problems - very quite. I have heard that pretty much about Frenchtown. Not a lot of wild night life there, but that isn't what we were looking for. Mostly rural or semi-rural - some nice new subs for those who don't want land. As far as schools. I've heard Monroe is okay, but not terrific. There is a Catholic school and also a Lutheran high school on Telegraph Road. Think it's north of Frenchtown. Our youngest son is finishing up his senior year in Riverview - where we were formerly living. Its commutable for 1 year. So havent sent any kids to Monroe schools. Dundee has really nice schools. My son does travel swim and we got there quite often.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:34 PM

I agree. We just purchased property with acreage in Frenchtown. It's north of Monroe. Most of that is rural or semi rural open farmland etc. That is why we purchased there as we are starting a lavender farm. We wanted to be out in the country. It's VERY pretty there. We have lived in downriver area - some good and some bad. We have lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - Marquette. By far my favorite, but husband had a job transfer. He works as said Fermi Nuclear plant. It's safe. It's not in the city. It's on Lake Erie closer to Newport. Carleton is another community in the area north of Frenchtown - again tons of apple orchards, diary farms that have been around for 100 year. Frenchtown west of Telegraph - away from the Lake (Erie) is very quiet. Most homes are nice very well kept. There are a few subdivisions, but most properties in that area have some acreage. There is shopping off Telegraph road. Has restaurants, Walmart, Meijer, and various other stores. Monroe is more small town. The downtown is Historic. The smoke stacks as another poster said are in River Rouge just south of the City of Detroit on I-75 which is half hour to 40 minutes drive NORTH of Monroe/Frenchtown. There is a Sylvania mineral mine off I-75 in Rockwood/Flatrock area, but again all north of Monroe. More of the smoke stack stuff way south of Monroe around Toledo. Again, the corridor between Toldeo and the Downriver communities of Metro Detroit is mostly rural and semi-rural farmlands. We looked very extensively there before we bought. People in southern part of Metro Detroit head out to Carleton for apple orchards and Calder diary farm. Also Monroe has a huge county fair and very involved in 4-H. OP doesn't know the area. Other than Fermi Plant there aren't huge amounts of smoke stacks in and around Frenchtown/Monroe/Carleton area.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:45 PM

Frenchtown extends west also away from the water. West of Telegraph Frenchtown is most rural farmlands or homes with lots of acreage. It's very, very nice. We just bought a beautiful home with 2 acres there. Monroe County taxes as MUCH lower than other Metro Detroit taxes. Significantly.

The area is flat yes, but I love the old farmhouse, country roads, and tons of old barns.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverclark67 View Post
I agree. We just purchased property with acreage in Frenchtown. It's north of Monroe. Most of that is rural or semi rural open farmland etc. That is why we purchased there as we are starting a lavender farm. We wanted to be out in the country. It's VERY pretty there. We have lived in downriver area - some good and some bad. We have lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - Marquette. By far my favorite, but husband had a job transfer. He works as said Fermi Nuclear plant. It's safe. It's not in the city. It's on Lake Erie closer to Newport. Carleton is another community in the area north of Frenchtown - again tons of apple orchards, diary farms that have been around for 100 year. Frenchtown west of Telegraph - away from the Lake (Erie) is very quiet. Most homes are nice very well kept. There are a few subdivisions, but most properties in that area have some acreage. There is shopping off Telegraph road. Has restaurants, Walmart, Meijer, and various other stores. Monroe is more small town. The downtown is Historic. The smoke stacks as another poster said are in River Rouge just south of the City of Detroit on I-75 which is half hour to 40 minutes drive NORTH of Monroe/Frenchtown. There is a Sylvania mineral mine off I-75 in Rockwood/Flatrock area, but again all north of Monroe. More of the smoke stack stuff way south of Monroe around Toledo. Again, the corridor between Toldeo and the Downriver communities of Metro Detroit is mostly rural and semi-rural farmlands. We looked very extensively there before we bought. People in southern part of Metro Detroit head out to Carleton for apple orchards and Calder diary farm. Also Monroe has a huge county fair and very involved in 4-H. OP doesn't know the area. Other than Fermi Plant there aren't huge amounts of smoke stacks in and around Frenchtown/Monroe/Carleton area.
I did not know there were orchards around Monroe. My dad has the remains of an apple orchard, so we do not pay for apples. We do go for cider sometimes. Maybe we will try Monroe for cider.

There is an awesome corn maze in/near Monroe. Corn maze, then cider and doughnuts for those who make it out of the maze.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:39 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I did not know there were orchards around Monroe. My dad has the remains of an apple orchard, so we do not pay for apples. We do go for cider sometimes. Maybe we will try Monroe for cider.

There is an awesome corn maze in/near Monroe. Corn maze, then cider and doughnuts for those who make it out of the maze.
Make sure its not the pasteurized stuff. We lived further south of Monroe. There is an orchard in Lambertville that presses some of the best cider you will ever drink. Of course the flavor changes during the season with the apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan