Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:56 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonewton View Post
Update: So i'm all moved up to Canton now went to the dealership today to change my oil. A saleman spent about 20 minutes telling me I need to trade in for a 4WD TODAY! oh well, hard to trust a saleman, but hard to ignore him either.
You should ask him if they sell anything other than 4WD's at the dealership? And if so, why? (if everyone buys 4WD's here!). What a chump (the salesman).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
4 WD is the best way to go for many people, and its not because they live in Michigan. I would be lost without my 4 x 4 , but, I need it due to a steep driveway, being in the woods, and for construction equipment-road building.... certainly not needed if you live in any city environment in Michigan, U.P. or Detroit..... Now, all wheel drive, thats another story, having all 4 wheels turning with power,when needed, can be a good thing, even on rain slick roads.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:17 PM

121 posts, read 175,491 times
Quote:
So, I'm moving to Michigan with my wife. Neither one of us have ever driven or lived in the snow before. I have a 4Runner with rear wheel drive. She has a lexus IS250 with 2WD. ARE WE IN TROUBLE??? We went apt hunting last week, and the people we meet pretty much scared the crap out of us. They talked about how we wont have a chance with 2WD in the Michigan winter.

Is this true?
Can't I just get snow tires?
Do I really have to trade in my car and get something with 4WD?
Does everyone have 4WD up there?
We will be in Michigan for 4 yrs per our contract...

Thank you!

It's a matter of keeping your vehicle in good repair, a full tank of gas, keeping your mind on the road and not driving too fast. When the roads are bad, slowing down and driving accordingly is the best policy.... It's all about using common sense.

When there is ice on the roads don't slam on the brakes. Slow down, and don't crowd other drivers. Braking too hard on ice can cause you to spin out into oncoming traffic or land you in a ditch and possibly hitting a tree. So use caution.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
I've lived up north in Petoskey for 3 years now with a rear wheel drive light pickup truck. It's very hilly in spots around here, and I haven't had one problem, so if you are any kind of decent driver you should be fine downstate.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 AM

17 posts, read 33,881 times
When we first moved to MI I had an S-class Mercedes (RWD). The first time it snowed and we got about 3 inches on the ground I couldn't get it up to my garage over the slightly slopped driveway, had to leave it at the driveway entrance until the snow melted. Needless to say the very next day I went and traded it in for an Escalade (AWD)

That said, as you have already seen, people here drive all kinds of vehicles and are doing just fine. If your commute involves well-traveled roads - you will have no problem at all, DOT here is taking amazing care of the roads when it comes to snow, considering how poor the state has become. And since you are on the south-east side of the state, snow is not such a big deal, anyways.

You may, however, consider buying a bigger SUV just so you can tow your boat and travel trailer This is one of the best places for outdoor fun so at least buy a pop-up and enjoy some of the campgrounds while you are here.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlrus View Post
When we first moved to MI I had an S-class Mercedes (RWD). The first time it snowed and we got about 3 inches on the ground I couldn't get it up to my garage over the slightly slopped driveway, had to leave it at the driveway entrance until the snow melted. Needless to say the very next day I went and traded it in for an Escalade (AWD)
A good set of snow tires would have solved the problem a lot cheaper than an Escalade.

Quote:
That said, as you have already seen, people here drive all kinds of vehicles and are doing just fine. If your commute involves well-traveled roads - you will have no problem at all, DOT here is taking amazing care of the roads when it comes to snow, considering how poor the state has become. And since you are on the south-east side of the state, snow is not such a big deal, anyways.
So true.

Quote:
You may, however, consider buying a bigger SUV just so you can tow your boat and travel trailer This is one of the best places for outdoor fun so at least buy a pop-up and enjoy some of the campgrounds while you are here.
This is the #1 reason for buying a truck in Michigan IMHO.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,354 times
Quote:
So, I'm moving to Michigan with my wife. Neither one of us have ever driven or lived in the snow before. I have a 4Runner with rear wheel drive. She has a lexus IS250 with 2WD. ARE WE IN TROUBLE??? We went apt hunting last week, and the people we meet pretty much scared the crap out of us. They talked about how we wont have a chance with 2WD in the Michigan winter.

Is this true?
Can't I just get snow tires?
Do I really have to trade in my car and get something with 4WD?
Does everyone have 4WD up there?
We will be in Michigan for 4 yrs per our contract...

Thank you!
90% of days you will be able to get away with RWD only, but at least 30-40 days out of the year where you can't. My advice...sell both, get a RWD Sports car and a AWD beater SUV.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:46 PM

13 posts, read 29,995 times
Just get a set of dedicated snow tires. I drive an Accord, in northern Michigan and have no issues... other than lake effect snows and clearance.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmichiganman View Post
Just get a set of dedicated snow tires. I drive an Accord, in northern Michigan and have no issues... other than lake effect snows and clearance.
That little Honda would not do well in our woods, even with snow tires. same goes for a lot of rural Michigan both lower and upper. Its the mud,deep snow,rocks and ruts that get you........ You say no, I only stay on the main roads ?.... OK , but you are missing a lot of this Great State. I agree with the poster who measures a velicles real worth with its ability to pull even the most modest trailer or camper.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:11 AM

29 posts, read 243,564 times
Well, I have a 5000lb class III hitch on my 4Runner, and I towed a Uhaul (12') trailer from Miami to MI. It was perfectly fine at 60 mi/hr on the highway and all. I never tried to push to 70 Mi/hr tho cause it was my very first time pulling a trailer.

Good point on missing out of the great outdoor tho! I doubt i can venture out to the far west of the UP in the winter with my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan