Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:29 PM

29 posts, read 243,564 times

Advertisements

What about Fog lights?
Will it helps to see better at night in snowy condition?
Both of our cars have the factory fog lights. I never find it necessary to change them out since all the streets in Miami are well lit. When I was driving in Michigan, I noticed that a lot of stretches on the highway DO NOT have street lights. Ex. HWY 12 going from Ann Arbor to Canton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 03:57 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonewton View Post
What about Fog lights?
Will it helps to see better at night in snowy condition?
Both of our cars have the factory fog lights. I never find it necessary to change them out since all the streets in Miami are well lit. When I was driving in Michigan, I noticed that a lot of stretches on the highway DO NOT have street lights. Ex. HWY 12 going from Ann Arbor to Canton.
Get a good pair of yellow sun glassed, ( shooters glassed), they will help in snow storms and fog a lot.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 PM

265 posts, read 801,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Also, you live in the auto capital of America, buy American. Have you no pride?
What's an American car these days? A Ford Fusion made in Mexico? Saturn Astra made in Belgium? Buick Regal which is basically a re-badged Opel? Saab 9-5 made in Sweden but was part of GM? What about the Saab 9-7X manufactured in Ohio? Or a Nissan Altima made in the USA? How about a Chevy Aveo made in Korea? Which one is the "American" car?

I do have pride but I don't buy products just because they are made in America. A Nissan Altima is more American to me than a Chevy Aveo or Saturn Astra.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:37 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf67 View Post
What's an American car these days? A Ford Fusion made in Mexico? Saturn Astra made in Belgium? Buick Regal which is basically a re-badged Opel? Saab 9-5 made in Sweden but was part of GM? What about the Saab 9-7X manufactured in Ohio? Or a Nissan Altima made in the USA? How about a Chevy Aveo made in Korea? Which one is the "American" car?

I do have pride but I don't buy products just because they are made in America. A Nissan Altima is more American to me than a Chevy Aveo or Saturn Astra.
You should not say " foreign" ether. Just describe the car you drive by the make and or model. Works better these days.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf67 View Post

Believe it or not, a lot of those American cars use American parts, support companies who pay taxes to America, and are rising in quality over non-domestic brands.

There's the myth that Japanese cars use more American parts than American cars, but with badge engineering (Mazda's rebadging of Ford, VW/Suzuki's rebadging of dodge, Saab using GM platforms and parts), you'll find that the majority of those using American parts SHARE those with their American counterparts and are produced in the USA.

The Mazda6 and Ford Fusion are almost the SAME car, but when you buy each, who gets the profit?

Many American cars are still made in America, VERY few of Ford's models are assembled outside of the USA and they're even bringing some back (CVPI's replacement is made in Illinois)

Also, American made Japanese cars aren't held to a very high standard, take it from me, the guy who lives about 5 minutes from where those Camry deathtraps are built. The workers don't get HALF of what Ford workers get.

Also, Ford employs more than 10x what Toyota does in the USA, I'm unsure of Nissan's numbers, but pit Nissan and Honda's American employee count up against GM's.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:36 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
How did we get from winter driving to buying American? Anyway...I have a hard time thinking of an Aveo as an American car too. It's as Korean as kim chee. I have two Americans, but only because GMAC gives away the farm every time. Our Saturn Aura (GM's great saving hope circa 2007) isn't aging too well at 95K and I had buyer's remorse that day (could have had an Accord for nearly the same price). If I can't get some sort of an employee discount (I don't qualify for any) I'm going "ferin" next time too.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
How did we get from winter driving to buying American? Anyway...I have a hard time thinking of an Aveo as an American car too. It's as Korean as kim chee. I have two Americans, but only because GMAC gives away the farm every time. Our Saturn Aura (GM's great saving hope circa 2007) isn't aging too well at 95K and I had buyer's remorse that day (could have had an Accord for nearly the same price). If I can't get some sort of an employee discount (I don't qualify for any) I'm going "ferin" next time too.
That's odd. I've had no trouble with my last 4 American cars all 200k miles on each

Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 PM

29 posts, read 243,564 times
Update: So i'm all moved up to Canton now went to the dealership today to change my oil. A saleman spent about 20 minutes telling me I need to trade in for a 4WD TODAY! oh well, hard to trust a saleman, but hard to ignore him either.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:44 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Update: So i'm all moved up to Canton now went to the dealership today to change my oil. A saleman spent about 20 minutes telling me I need to trade in for a 4WD TODAY! oh well, hard to trust a saleman, but hard to ignore him either.

You won't need anything more than front wheel drive living in the Canton area. I drove my F-150 with rear wheel drive (Brighton to Canton & back) for a couple of winters.

No big deal.

Too funny.

Had my truck in for service the day before Mother's Day.....talking to a salesman.....GMAC terminated my lease early, paid the remainder of it, and I drove home in a new truck.

0 down, 0% interest rate.

Some good deals out there.....for the first time in a long time, I don't feel raped buying a new vehicle.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:08 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Find another dealership, sounds like the salesmen in that one are a bunch of pushy BS spewing lairs.

I used to live in the UP and all I drove was a rear wheel drive cars the entire time I lived there. They are just trying to scare you into buying a vehicle from them. First question I would have asked is what car in the lot was his, odds are that it is a front wheel drive and not a 4WD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan