Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:49 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,639,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebagofdonuts View Post
I found it funny how in Transformers I, Tyrese was a TSgt (E-6), then 2 years later in Transformers II, Tyrese was a Chief MSgt (E-9). While the other dude just went from Captain (E-3) to Major (E-4). How did Tyrese become a Chief so fast? It would take several more years for him to make it from TSgt to Chief.
I guess if you save the planet you get promoted faster. But since he didn't have a college degree, Chief is the highest rank he can achieve. That is why in Transformers III, he is retired.
I don't know too much about the Army promotions, especially at a higher level, but I knew Marines who jumped 3 ranks in 3 years. Granted his jump was faster and at a higher level but I imagine saving the world would probably garner you some goodwill with the folk who make those decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,822,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Back in the day, there was a comic book series named, "SGT. Rock."
Gosh are you old? You are if you are older than 62 (like me)...

I remember the comic book, but it never appealed to me...

Rich

Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,460,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It just happens and, when it's really getting hot and heavy, anything can come out of someone's mouth.
or just when people lack brain cells.

we had one guy, an immigrant that barely spoke english, as a staff sergeant once. he was always bumbling around the comm. made for some entertaining operations though.

one time, we're sitting around our posts during an op, and we hear him get on the comm, "all posts, this is Mike ##. where is my pistol? over." (this one happened more than once)

some others from him:

(breaking radio silence during an op) "##, ##, what's for chow? ...[ten second pause] ...over."

"##, ##, this Mike ##, what's your pos, over?" (funny, because the sentry he was calling is situated at the top of an immobile tower)

"##, ##, this is Mike ##. we need more hash brownies, over."

"don't touch the leezards, over!"(lizards)

"don't touch the lasers, over!"
(lizards)

he is still a legend among those of us that served with him.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,231,512 times
A univeral error, very commonplace in all walks of society, but one that was never, ever supposed to be made in proper radio procedure, is the improper usage of the letter of the alphabet O, and the numeric 0. It is not correct to say "oh" when what should be said is "zee-row". When you were on the radio you said "Oscar" for the letter and "Zero" if you meant the numeric. Am aware that I am in a distinct minority, but even today, in coversations never use the alpha O when the numeric 0 is called for. Once again, some things are just hard wired into you.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:29 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,550,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Gosh are you old? You are if you are older than 62 (like me)...

I remember the comic book, but it never appealed to me...

Rich
Nope. I'm not older than you.....I'm 62 as well!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:23 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,184,520 times
I always liked "The Sand Pebbles"....

Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 PM

240 posts, read 420,970 times
U.S. Army

Inaccurate: "Stripes"

Accurate: "A Time To Triumph" (the true story about Concetta Hassan. She went into the Army to support her husband and children, because her husband was disabled from a heart attack/heart disease he suffered from)

Old 09-11-2011, 12:00 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,515,220 times
I give Stripes a pass since it is one of the funniest movies in film history.

As for my branch, Air Force, I'd say no film in the last two generations has been anywhere near accurate. The ones already mentioned here where made between WWII and Vietnam:
12 O'Clock High
Strategic Air Command
Tora Tora Tora
To this short list I'd add the brilliant Dr. Strangelove.

Starting in the 1970's the USAF became a shadowy and technology obsessed antagonist for bad Sci-Fi. See films like the Terminator series, Stargate, and Transformers.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,550,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
I give Stripes a pass since it is one of the funniest movies in film history.

As for my branch, Air Force, I'd say no film in the last two generations has been anywhere near accurate. The ones already mentioned here where made between WWII and Vietnam:
12 O'Clock High
Strategic Air Command
Tora Tora Tora
To this short list I'd add the brilliant Dr. Strangelove.

Starting in the 1970's the USAF became a shadowy and technology obsessed antagonist for bad Sci-Fi. See films like the Terminator series, Stargate, and Transformers.
Definitely agree. And Iron Eagle, while entertaining, was nowhere near accurate to anyone even remotely familiar with USAF fighter operations.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 PM

37,501 posts, read 61,508,206 times
I recently joined a forum for the first sub I served on [USS George C. Marshall SSBN 654]. It is great looking at photos of crewmen from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I have re-connected with a few crewmen from when I was on that boat.

Last night going through photos, another guy mentioned how we all looked like 'Das Boot' back then. I have to agree.

Even though the movie was focused on a German sub, it's depiction of life underwater is pretty good. There have been a few modern sub movies, but generally submariners do not like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues