Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Try for OCS. You already have a degree, don't think ROTC will take you...

Rich
ROTC will take graduate students, but the normal program is 4 complete, uninterrupted years where you must be a full time student at the same time.

It *can* be compressed to 2 years if you go to a special school in the summer prior to starting or already are a veteran, but 2 is pretty much the absolute minimum.

Typical students that do that are vets who took 2 years to do their freshmen and sophomore years and then got the itch again, or someone doing an MBA or engineering/science degree and the ROTC Battalion can get them a slot to the school (the slots are competitively selected, you don't just walk into one by showing up).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 11:38 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
As a veteran of a combat intensive unit in Vietnam, I would say that I observed some quiet nerdy types who had real stamina and courage and depth ... and I observed some hot-shot jocks who didn't turn out to be so hot. Only you know what's really inside. Outside doesn't mean much.
bingo. although i'd say that sometimes you don't even know what's really inside. sometimes it takes something like the military to bring it out.

Quote:
One other comment though -- re: wanting to change your personality. Personalities don't change much, really ... there is, however, such a thing as metamorphosis that brings out existing qualities. If that's possible in your case, the military is certainly a likely environment to support the realization. That said, the military is not the only experience that will test your mettle. And there are certainly many constructive challenges that don't involve participating in a culture of destruction. The military has its place in reality -- so do studying volcanoes or grizzly bears and fighting forest fires
when i graduated high school, i was pretty introverted. i could open up around friends, but the fact that i couldn't really open up around strangers meant that it took a long time to make friends. that doesn't work very well in the three-month semester environment of college. so i decided that i needed to do something about it. i joined a class leadership program that pretty much made me put myself out there and become somewhat extroverted.

it was good training, both in the sense that i learned how to creep out of my shell when i need to, and because it taught me something about myself that i didn't know existed. it taught me about a strength and a capability that i wouldn't have otherwise known that i had.

since then, i have had more opportunities to learn how to survive outside of my comfort zone. and i have had other opportunities to excel at something that i previously didn't even think i could do. since then, i served a very extroverted two year mission for my church in argentina, served four years in the marine corps infantry, and am now finishing a dual degree in digital media and illustration. all of those are things that i used to think i would never be cut out for.

you never know until you try.

one last thing. life is a game. if you go into it with the right mentality, vowing to never give up and never walk away from a worthy challenge, you can't help but grow and become stronger. and you will probably have tons of fun along the way, even though some of it will be hard and painful. it is a game. that is how i got through boot camp, iraq, marriage, kids, etc. you are stronger than you think you are, especially if you go in with the right mentality.

having completed some pretty intense schooling yourself, i am pretty confident that you have begun to see that you are stronger than you used to think possible.

good luck. aaron.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherscouter13 View Post
I'm currently a graduate student in a Physics PhD program, but I have recently considered dropping out and pursuing a career where I can work on real world applications as opposed to theory. I have considered becoming a commissioned officer in the military

One reason for my wanting to switch careers is because I have found working on technical problems to be a little boring. Last semester, I couldn't help but want to put in more time and effort into my duties/responsibilities as a TA than I should have (it interfered with my studies). I liked being able to lead the class and be responsible for making decisions. However, I went through a TON of stress by having to deal with some difficult students. I want to get over being so thin-skinned

Another reason I want to join force is because I'm a typical nerdy, shy student. I can be extremely shy at times when I have to socialize. Also, I don't have many hobbies other than studying and reading, so its hard for me to relate to people. That is why I have hardly any friends. But I feel alot more comfortable around people when I have to teach, tutor, or be a TA. Also, I want to change my personality. I want to be more confident and be less socially awkward and less of a pushover.

Finally, I consider myself a patriot and I have an interest in military technology.

So..I wanna hear from insider's perspective. Do you guys think I can make it in there? Or will I get eaten alive if I try to join?
Why not put your physics degree to use? Go Navy Nuke!!! AYou can hang with you fellow geeks all day in the reactor department. Field Artillery hah! They have small cannons compared to a navy sub with torpedoes, harpoon, tomahwak, and nuclear missiles. Your career path would eventually lead you to command of a sub. Much better than a simple cannon.

It will be your easiest route to a commission. The navy has an extremely tough time filling billets in the nuclear officer program. In addition you will receive Proficiency pay once your nuke qualified. It's an extra 22k a year after your first hitch. Also you qualify for the enlistment bonus of 30k. Then after your first hitch a reenlistment bonus of 30k a year in addition to the 30k pro pay a year.

OSD Military Compensation (militarypay.defense.gov)

Here's a link to the program...

US Navy Recruitment

Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program Do you have

Training
The Navy's highly technical nuclear power training program is recognized as one of the best in the world. For future submariners and surface warfare officers, your exciting future begins with Officer Candidate School (OCS) in Pensacola, Fla. Upon completion of OCS, you'll be commissioned as an Ensign in the Navy and begin your career as a Naval Officer. One year of advanced nuclear power training follows, starting with six months of graduate level classroom training at Charleston, SC. After establishing your theoretical knowledge, you'll have six months of practical training at one of the Navy's two shore-based reactor training facilities in either upstate New York or in South Carolina. Following completion of your specialized nuclear power training, you'll attend the Naval Submarine School at Groton, CT, or the Surface Warfare Officer School at Newport, RI.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
You can hang with you fellow geeks all day in the reactor department. Field Artillery hah!
Ha! can you drag your reactor down the street to impress people?

Boom Boom Boom Boom!!!

Photo by Rich Sanchez...

Rich

Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
You know, it also bears mention that the days of military glory are pretty much over ... if war was ever a glorified action, it won't be anymore ... and field artillery has zero future. Conflict requiring military intervention is now more and more being addressed by intense, relatively small, highly mobile, special ops units and drones and other remote controlled weapons. There is no real challenge requiring courage in remote-controlled warfare. If you are seeking the historical warrior experience to find your inner lion, you'd have to be up to the challenge of special operations: Rangers, SEALS, etc.

I am not advocating or dis-advocating for that ... I'm just saying. Personally, with a war under my belt, I would seek my adventure elsewhere in non-destructive pursuits. Sail around the world solo. Help construct sanitation in third-world countries. Climb Everest. Live with tribes of little contact in New Guinea to understand their culture.

As I wrote before: military and war is part of reality. If you are attracted to death and destruction and domination, that's your ticket. If you are simply trying to bring out your greatest strengths, there are many more productive ways to serve both yourself and humanity.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
I love the Navy nuke idea -- much better than field artillery.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I love the Navy nuke idea -- much better than field artillery.
I know someone who left the Army Reserves in the Field Artillery for the Navy Nuke Program. He like most who entered the program wiped out and he wound up doing four years doing whatever the Navy sent him to. Worst mistake he ever made.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I know someone who left the Army Reserves in the Field Artillery for the Navy Nuke Program. He like most who entered the program wiped out and he wound up doing four years doing whatever the Navy sent him to. Worst mistake he ever made.
Big difference, original poster is working on a PhD in Physics and has a bach. in Physics already. I would never advocate anybody going in for the enlisted nuke program unless they knew what they were getting into. The reason for this is the enlisted side are way overworked because there are never enough of them requiring long hours on the boat. Also as a enlisted Navy nuke your sea/shore rotation is horrible. Officer side is completely different you do 3 years at sea initially to 2 at shore and then back to sea for 3 then shore for 3. Also as an nuke officer he would have a great chance at commanding a sub one day should he choose.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Big difference, original poster is working on a PhD in Physics and has a bach. in Physics already. I would never advocate anybody going in for the enlisted nuke program unless they knew what they were getting into. The reason for this is the enlisted side are way overworked because there are never enough of them requiring long hours on the boat. Also as a enlisted Navy nuke your sea/shore rotation is horrible. Officer side is completely different you do 3 years at sea initially to 2 at shore and then back to sea for 3 then shore for 3. Also as an nuke officer he would have a great chance at commanding a sub one day should he choose.
This just seems like a much more glamorous option than Field Artillery for this guy. If he's got the brains and talent, I hate to see them wasted on something lame. How cool would it be to command your own sub? That's badass. OP, go with this option. Get yourself an eye patch too.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 PM
JAQ

74 posts, read 233,704 times
It's good you posted here, but I think you should research more on your options and what you want to do with your life.

Military is a good way to go and going officer is even better. You are paid more and treated with more respect.

Goodluck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues