Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Well..... This could make military balls interesting.

The point about the possibility that this will lead to the military health system now having to cover sex change operations is a valid one.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:10 PM

950 posts, read 1,260,095 times
You're right,that's the next step. My dad retired in 1975 after 33 years. What his take on this would be I have no idea,but I'm sure he'd probably say the military is going to hell in a handbasket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 12:12 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
I'm okay with allowing someone who has completed gender reassignment surgery to serve in the military as that gender.

I don't think it's appropriate for someone currently going through the process to join while that's happening. Or to have the drugs and medical procedures while currently active duty.

Not because I think transgender is a mental illness, but it is a long and mentally and emotionally draining process, never mind the physical changes. I don't think going through the reassignment process while active duty is conducive to the demands of the mission.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:24 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Anyone who feels the need to change to a different sex has a mental issue. On that basis alone they should be denied entry into the military. Nothing against tranny's, but they need professional help.

I served 8 years in the military and I would NOT feel comfortable serving with a tranny.

Some things just weren't meant to be and this is one of them.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:25 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Can you cite your source for that?
Above linked article.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:04 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
WRONG on so very many levels it is hard to even start.....

Old 08-03-2015, 04:35 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
You will never convince me that transgendered people do not have mental health issues.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
Who's going to watch them take a UA?
Oh heck, I never thought of that! I used to run that program. How do you expect a lady to be an observer to a person with male anatomy?

I'm on a base and got the memo Friday.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
It is amazing how many current service members we will discriminate against in the military without any thought yet we'll bend over backwards to open up the military to a group of people that have never been allowed to serve in the past because we don't want to discriminate against them.

If your body type/shape doesn't meet the services oddball way of evaluating your "fitness" you're kicked out. If your mental abilities don't allow you to pass a test and advance by a certain period of time you're kicked out. If you develop a medical issue that the service doesn't feel like dealing with you're kicked out. If the service decides they have too many people and need to cut some you're kicked out. If you are in a dead-end MOS or Rating that has no/little advancement you're kicked out. If you're a woman we will tell you where you can and can not serve, etc.

But if you are transgendered we're going to make room for you and create a TON of problems that we will have to accommodate throughout the services.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:01 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Everyone said all the same things about all the problems we would have if gays were allowed to openly serve. They've been serving openly for some time with no issues. This will be a non-issue and a non-event once the rules are all worked out.
My son was not allowed to have liberty over the weekend to travel to Washington D.C. with his girlfriend to see the sights. They would not allow male and female service members to be "liberty buddies" for overnight trips. They were stuck on base every weekend for nine months and never got to see anything because their requests for weekend overnight liberty were denied each time.

The two male homosexuals in the next room (that were boyfriends) slept together every night (they roomed together) and got weekend liberty passes every weekend to travel and see the sights.

And of course, the service and leadership feel this is a "non-issue" and all the rules are worked out. I contacted his command and was told "they were aware of the issue but were getting pressure from the top to leave it alone".

We're discriminating against heterosexuals but allowing homosexuals and now transgendered to behave in ways that heterosexuals are not allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues