Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Knew a guy who changed his home of residency to a state that had no income tax. He changed it back when he discovered he could no longer legally vote in the area he's originally from. The way he understood, he could only legally vote in the area he claimed as his home of residency. Keep that in mind when switching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 668 times
I'm an active duty NCO stationed in Ft. Gordon Ga. While I was on PCS leave from Okinawa Japan, I stopped in Virginia and bought a vehicle. Do I still have to pay the property tax on the vehical even though I am living in Ga.?

Last edited by mlmelnyk; 11-13-2013 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 11-13-2013, 03:57 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmelnyk View Post
I'm an active duty NCO stationed in Ft. Gordon Ga. While I was on PCS leave from Okinawa Japan, I stopped in Virginia and bought a vehicle. Do I still have to pay the property tax on the vehical even though I am living in Ga.?
Good question.

One time I briefly lived in Connecticut, I owned a vehicle there. Then I transferred to Washington, where I put Wa plates on that car. I never thought about Ct again.

But about 10 years later, I returned to Ct. I went to register a vehicle and the DMV said I had an outstanding tax bill, in some little town I had never heard of. Before I could register a vehicle, I had to first find this town, and clear the tax bill. I found the town, back when I had left Ct the first time, they had been assigned the duty of property taxing that vehicle. I had not known to notify this little town that I took the vehicle to Wa and registered it there. So they had assumed the vehicle still existed in Ct. They assessed a property tax on it, every year. With interest.

That became a nightmare for me.

It might be wise, to find out if there is any Va town trying to tax you for your vehicle, and then notify them that the vehicle has been plated in Ga.

Otherwise the next time your in Va, you may find that there is a massive tax bill with your name on it.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
It depends... I assume you Home Of Record (HOR) is Virginia, then this should help: Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

You are stationed at Fort Gordon, you might read this: http://www.gordon.army.mil/acs/relocation/pov.htm

Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,137 times
Quote:
It depends on where you decide to register the car and what state you're a residence of.

You can buy a car anywhere and drive it to the state you're stationed in and register it.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't understand the question, I suppose.

I served in the military. I also do taxes.

My home of record while in the Navy was Florida...but I had a driver's license showing proof of residency. I didn't own any property, or drive a car, so I had no car registrations to deal with.

For the posters that have said that they lived in other states, and had property, did you also have a car registration in those states? Or in your "home of record"?

Having property, car registrations, driver's licenses, etc. in a state DOES make you a resident of that state for tax purposes. It also applies when you want to demonstrate "residency" for in-state tuition, by the way.

Let's put it this way. Should the state ever want to collect tax from you, you would have to "prove" that you lived in another state. The concept is called "tax home".
No.

Like others said, you file a form changing your state of residency.

Having a car registered or owning a property when active duty does not automatically make you a resident of that state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But if you demonstrate RESIDENCY in another state, that is your "tax home". I've been doing taxes for years.
Your "tax home" is what's on record in your admin file. You're completely wrong. Demonstrating residency does not apply to active duty military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues