Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
At least in the Navy you can say you were in the military, lived the military life,maybe not the Marines but still military.
USAF is about as military as the Girl Scouts, their cookie sales are probably harder, but if soft and easy is how you roll, the AF is for you.

But the AF is not tough.

Last edited by lisdol; 12-01-2009 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 04:55 PM

122 posts, read 202,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I've seen this twice, what does it mean?
your rating is your job in the military. every enlisted person attends a school to get training on how to perform a specific job. in most branches your job is called your rate or rating.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:27 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Thanks, Crew Chief--I have heard that the Air Force is 'different' from other branches of the military--more intelligent people--that is what I was told.

I would want to be in the Air Force if I were choosing a branch of the military I think, if that is true.spanx
In case you didn't know

First man to brake the sound barrier Chuck Yeager, Captain, USAF
First American in space, Alan Shepard Commander, USN
First man on the moon, Neil Armstrong was a former Naval aviator.

You can have the intelligence in the world but if you don't have heart to inspire and drive you, you're just left with school loans.

BTW, Go Navy!!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:42 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
In case you didn't know

You can have the intelligence in the world but if you don't have heart to inspire and drive you, you're just left with school loans.

BTW, Go Navy!!
I know I like what NASA does. I was in a group that discussed Chuck Yeager and he sounds--'better than Tom Cruise--The Toppest Gun on Earth'--Yeager wasn't that concerned with the earth---more concerned about what might be learned if we pushed the limits.

Yes, I well remember Neil Armstrong and the moon landing. ??1967??--it was something that some never believed could be Done and yet WE DID IT.

Some 'fools' online don't believe the moon landing wasn't real---believe it was a conspiracy of the US government. I can't believe what I have heard online--there is a huge conspiracy theory about the Royal Family that has been passed along---pure evil --the Royal Family. I just don't believe a lot of what I hear or read. School teacher--I knew a teacher that married an attorney who's father 'worked' in Huntsville--believe me this attorney is a good one and would have known if his Dad wasn't telling the truth.

Go USA---Let Freedom Ring. Born on 911 myself---will never forget that bit of news. Met some NYC's who will also--'Never Forget'. George Bush did the Right thing---let's see how long it takes for some to understand this. jmo.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
In case you didn't know

BTW, Go Navy!!

First man to orbit the Earth, John Glenn, Colonel, USMC

...also the oldest.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike
... the Air Force is 'different' from other branches of the military--more intelligent people-- ...
mmm

When I first got my B.S. I was surprised at how many of the enlisted folks I was working with already had theirs, it rather inspired me to work toward my Masters. Later I was not alone with a M.A. either.

For years I worked alongside of many nuclear physicists and missile engineers. Then on the civilian side our Tech Reps were from Rockwell, Sperry, and Autonetics; they all cycled 6-months for NASA and 6-months with us under SSPO [Strategic Special Projects Office].

The Quantum Physics eggheads that I worked with do a lot on gravity-vector navigation, and they are amazing.

I find it hard to imagine that in terms of surrounding yourself with 'intelligent' people; that the Air Force can top that.

I know that the Air Force with their missile silos did a lot of grandstanding for the public. In reality they only had a small minority of the nuclear warheads, as compared to the Silent Service.

Silos are stationary. They do not move up and down, nor do the travel around the world. Nor do their missiles carry satellites that orbit, nor do they have as many multiple warheads on each satellite.

So what gives the Air Force the rep for being the 'intelligent' service?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:10 PM

312 posts, read 1,017,969 times
I met this Navy dude 9 years ago. He loved the Navy and was very happy being in it.... as a single guy.

He asked me to marry him and I said yes... Only if you get out of the Navy (he was reenlisting and was told to "Pick his President (aka Ship)).

He got out of the Navy and went into the Airforce.

He was in the Navy for 8 years and away for 5 of those years (all together).

He has been in the Airforce for 7 years and has been gone 1.5 years (Korea and little TDY's).

I am not saying this is how it normally is or how it will be etc.. but thats how its been for us.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
I've served in both Navy and AF. I liked them both but for different reasons. AF definately has the edge in services: their Exchange, Commisary, Dorms, etc are in my opinion, much better than Navy's. AF is kinda pampered in that regard. But in the Navy there is a strong sense of ritual and tradition because it is an older service than the AF, and I felt a stronger brotherhood in the Navy than I did in the AF. The AF was more like the corporate world with uniforms. THe Navy was the Navy. That's the best I can describe it. DM me if you have specific questions.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:00 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
I served in the USAF; I met some idiots in my branch. And some absolutely brilliant folks in every one of the other branches...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 06-09-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 03:40 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I've served in both Navy and AF. I liked them both but for different reasons. AF definately has the edge in services: their Exchange, Commisary, Dorms, etc are in my opinion, much better than Navy's. AF is kinda pampered in that regard. But in the Navy there is a strong sense of ritual and tradition because it is an older service than the AF, and I felt a stronger brotherhood in the Navy than I did in the AF. The AF was more like the corporate world with uniforms. THe Navy was the Navy. That's the best I can describe it. DM me if you have specific questions.
I agree, the Air Force goes a long way when it comes to creature comfort in comparison with the other branches but it also has more red tape when it comes to aircraft maintenance from my observation.

In my squadron it takes one shop to pull an ejection seat in an F-4 Phantom not so in the Air Force. It would take at least two shops to the same job and it takes longer.
I know it works for them but I don't know how they meet the flight schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues