Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:48 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Scholarship does not mean commission.
You don't *need* a scholarship to get an Army commission. I suspect, but don't know, the Air Force ROTC is the same.

It is very possible to be an ROTC graduate who did not have a scholarship, and STILL go active duty.

If you have enough money now-you could transfer to cheaper/easier school

One potential route: do an enlistment to get the GI Bill, keep your nose clean. Finish your enlistment, and use the GI Bill to go to college. If you can't get a scholarship-just join the ROTC program, anyway. You will still get a stipend (a few hundred a month), and non-scholarship students can simultaneously join the National Guard/Reserves and get drill pay.

Plus, I'm biased, but having lived and knowing what an enlisted soldier's life is like does help an officer understand what they are ordering them to do, and the stressors they are under the officer is not. Nothing teaches like having had to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Georgia,
Of course you don't need a scholarship to go active duty. I was just stating that getting a scholarship doesn't automatically mean you will get selected for a commission. If, for example, you get a scholarship and then can't pass a physical later, get bad grades, commit a crime, or if the Air Force stops taking people, you will not be commissioned. I have no idea how the Army works. To be clear, I am talking just about AF ROTC. I'm sure the Army has different standards, they have different standards in general when it comes to joining, different rules on tattoos, different rules on drug usage, different rules on a lot of things.

I just meant that just because someone gets a scholarship out of the gate, it doesn't guarnetee commission.

You *can* get commissioned with ANY college degree.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:24 PM

10 posts, read 67,553 times
I've read what a lot of you are saying and I think dmarie123 understands what I'm trying to do. I think some of you are doubting my knowledge. I as pointed out before had got an Army ROTC scholarship but due to funding reasons was cut. After that happened I was forced to take out student loans ($60,000 worth). I joined AF ROTC so that I could get a scholarship because I realized the Army wasn't for me that having been in the Civil Air Patrol for 5 years I was better off going with the Air Force due to having been brought up with AF style teachings and an AF style life. I had made the choice to try to get an in house scholarship so I could continue going to college and only have the initial loan for the first year which I can pay off with a stocks and bonds account. I wasn't mature enough at the time and irresponsible. I didn't have the right mindset and tried to be optimistic instead of treating it like a job. Therefor I did not succeed. I withdrew and have the option to go back to Embry Riddle. I want to join the military so I can grow up, live life a little, get some money, medical benefits, serve my country, and have been enlisted so I can better understand my subordinates when I eventually become and officer as stated in another persons post. I know you can commission without a scholarship but the reason I want to go with one of the programs either AFROTC - Airman Scholarship & Commissioning Program (ASCP) or AFROTC - Airman Education & Commissioning Program (AECP) so that I do not have to have loans hanging over my head and become an officer. My concern as of now is getting in, doing security forces for a few years, going back to college, become an officer, go back in as an officer and pursue what ever I choose to do after that.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:42 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Too bad you've got to take the long way around to reach your goal.

I wish you the best.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:49 PM

10 posts, read 67,553 times
At least I managed to salvage something out of it and am still able to get to where I want to go. It is what it is and you can make a good light out of a bad situation or be negative about it. It would have been nice to take the express way but I'm going to have to take the back road to get to where I'm going. I admitted to my faults and realized they where there. The next step is to move on and fix what I messed up. Thankfully my family has been supportive and understands where I'm coming from. In high school I was looking to go high school to flight school but I chose to do officership instead. I still plan on following that path but it'll just take longer.

Thanks guys without the information you guys have given me my future might not have turned out as I wanted it. The road ahead might be a long tough one but I'll make it and it probably is the best for me.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 881 times
First of all, the Air Force recruiters have a quota to fill and will only be looking for individuals that can fill that certain quota. They are given AFSCs that have openings and what they will take today. If they already have their quota for the month, then they will give you any type of excuse to get you out of the office promising you the world in a few months. Since the economy is so poor, the recruiters are swamped by kids almost out of high school wanting those precious dates to go off to basics. As for the security AFSCs, they are considered the low end of the scale compared to all the other AFSCs. Low test scores and minimum basic requirements will get you an AFSC of a cook, or a security policeman. Best to get your degree before going into the Air Force, then you might have a stab at becoming an officer. However, even that is iffy.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 736 times
i plan on getting into the airoforce as soon as i get my four year college degreee rather than as i exit high school i want a degree in criminal justice so that once i serve the military, i can become a cop. can the airforce help me out with college expenses? and is this a good plan?

Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Yes, there are educational benefits in all the services.

You do not have to serve in the military to become a Police Officer, but it can help.

You do not have to have a "four year degree" either.

It could be a good plan. Police Officers (and Firefighters) can have some good retirement benefits. I know a few retired military people who have also become Police Officers, and a few of those who also retired from the police force.

I think you probably should talk to all the military recruiters and find out what they say. Also, if you are in a large metro area you might check some local police departments and see what programs they have.

Good luck to you...

Rich

Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 PM

934 posts, read 1,939,062 times
Josh, kudos to you on working hard to figure out what your life-plan is going to be. Many take the wrong turn more than once and never reach the level of self-awareness you display here

Right now, all the services are starting a period of drawdown, some more than others. At this point, you would be better served to join in ANY capacity they will accept, as the waiting list to enlist is growing and all services will become more and more selective. They aren't taking 'any warm body' any more (even the Army ). Historically the Army has been the easiest and the USAF the most difficult to enlist in, but they are all about to get a lot harder. My son is an AH-64 crew chief and I am often reminding him that they will only TAKE IN the best, and also only KEEP the best...a re-up option is NOT a certainty. Mindful of which, you need to forget this 'what can I do and not deploy?' mindset.

Its obviously too late, but you should have taken the HS-to-flight-school option IMO. And, by the way, no one 'forced' you take $60k in student loans. An obligation taken freely, I would wager.

Best of luck, I hope you meet your goals

Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Historically the Army has been the easiest and the USAF the most difficult to enlist in
Good post! One item, lets not forget the U.S. Coast Guard! Which has always been difficult because of their small size.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues