Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 PM

709 posts, read 656,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
That's your first problem... expecting positive values to come from mainstream ANYTHING.

True black culture comes from Africa which entails plenty of positive values such ambition, community, rejecting excess and a DIY ethic (amongst others). They tend to be echoed in African proverbs such as "It takes a village to raise a child." (what, you thought Hillary Clinton came up with that) and "The fear of death will kill you."

But what do I really know about African culture... I only went $25,000 into debt studying it.
I'm not talking about true African culture, because that doesn't exist on a wide scale in America. What they do on a continent half way around the world has nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas
Then tell me, why do you think Black Americans are disconnected from their ancestral values in ways you don't see from Americans of European, Latin or Asian decent?
Not sure, and to be honest, I don't care. I'm not black, so I can't change much in their community. If they want things to change, they've got to start to work on it themselves. With the current state of affairs, white people trying to tell a black community something they are doing needs to change, they get shouted down as being racists. Hell, even folks like Bill Cosby are ostracized because they are speaking truths that some blacks don't want to hear.

Quote:
I agree... so what exactly are you doing to hold the suit wearing white guys who run Viacom and ClearChannel responsible for peddling destructive images to black youth and telling them that's what their culture is.
Well, isn't that convenient?

Always the fault of the evil white guys, then? Parents are responsible for their children; not society, not corporations, not teachers. If someone, as a parent, doesn't want their child to be influenced by rubbish like rap music, violent video games, the corner drug dealer, etc. they need to instill the values that will make that child successful. If a single mothers' child ends up slangin' rocks on the corner of 14th and Wright, and I end up having to clean up that mess, it's not my fault nor is it my problem.

I am disgusted with the lack of responsibility for ones' own actions in this day and age. If you **** something up, man up and take responsibility for it. Of course, it's so much easier to blame others

Quote:
And yet you still managed to shove a lot of thinly veiled prejudice into your reply (comparing black people to animals... very classy btw ). Good for you!
I call them like I see them. If you saw even a quarter of the behavior I do on a daily basis, you'd agree.

If you do see this behavior and don't agree, you're part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 08:57 PM

221 posts, read 364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMEastsider View Post
Alright so we all know that segregation is a huge problem and not a lot has been done to effectively stop it so why don’t we all think of a way to fix it. Then who knows if we think of something that we think will work will send it to politicians or whoever and get it started. I’m going to use Waukesha as an example because that’s where I grew up and I know the most about it. I was driving down the road one day and I just couldn’t help but think about WHY whites live with whites Hispanic with Hispanic and black with black etc. I drove past a subdivision in Waukesha that has over 500 homes in it continuously being developed by Belinski Builders, and it’s almost all white people. What if all we had to do was make a rule that a certain amount of homes in this huge development had to be asian, black, Hispanic and so on. Then the entire subdivision would be integrated. And for every home that goes up for sale in the city a certain amount have to be bought by other races then white and of course a certain amount had to be white. Now I know this isn’t simple but what do you guys think? Could it be done somehow? If not what are your ideas? Another thing, There is a lot of dumpy areas of Waukesha that recently have been given a facelift like strip malls and things like that. And they look SO MUCH NICER. Why can’t we just do this every where?
Exactly why is segregation a "huge problem", especially if it's by free choice?

Who are you or anyone to legislate the composition of a nieghborhood?

You sure you want what you are asking for? Areas that go black, seem to go bad, here's some objective data. You sure you want to take the crime rate increase and the property value decrease?

No doubt your heart is in the right place, but the practical reality contradicts your proposal, as sell as contradicting freedom of choice.

Go ask the folks in Minneapolis, that just cracked into the top 25 here, what their experience with the importation of Somalis via the Somali Resettlement Center there has been.

Rankings by Population Group

Most Dangerous 25:.......%AA Largest Segment?
1...Detroit, Mich.............81.6............Y
2...Atlanta, Ga...............61.4............Y
3...St. Louis, Mo.............51.2............Y
4...Flint, Mich.................53.3............Y
5...Camden, N.J..............53.3............Y
6...Gary, Ind..................84.0............Y
7...West Palm Beach, FL..36.2............N
8...Compton, Calif...........40.3............N
9...Tampa, FL................26.1.............N
10..Washington, D.C.......55.6.............Y
11..Jackson, Miss...........70.6.............Y
12..Newark, N.J.............53.5.............Y
13..Kansas City, MO.......31.2.............Y
14..Miami-Dade, FL........17.5..............N
15..New Orleans, La.......67.3..............Y
16..Memphis, Tenn.........61.4.............Y
17..Orlando, Fla.............26.9.............N
18..Dayton, OH..............43.1............N
19..Richmond, VA...........52.3............Y
20..Dallas, TX................23.2............N
21..Philadelphia, Pa.........43.2............Y
22..Youngstown, Ohio......43.8...........N
23..Cleveland, OH...........54.2............Y
24..Oakland, Calif...........35.7.............Y
25..Minneapolis, MN........18.0.............N

Old 07-06-2010, 12:36 AM

68 posts, read 179,053 times
okay so i guess some of you missed the fact that i pointed out in my second reply that i messed up and what i was trying to end was racism. And the only solution i can think of to stop this is for segregation to end. If all races lived together they would realize that no race is bad its the person that is bad not their race.

and solas. this thread has nothing to do with my previous. this is something that genuinely bothers me.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 AM

88 posts, read 214,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
I guess working in the hood for the last 8 years doesn't count, then, does it?

ETA: What, pray tell, was I wrong about in my assessment of current black culture? I'd like to know what YOU think mainstream black culture is...because it certainly is not positive reinforcement for excelling in academics and contributing to society. I deal with the lesser elements of society every single day in my job, and I can tell you that good parents and good households are VERY hard to come by in the inner city. That is not the fault of whites, or slavery, or any other lame ass excuse. The blame for that falls squarely on the shoulders of those who continue to promote ignorance and acting like an animal in general.

As much as I want to comment on your smart ass reply I quoted here, I'll bite my tongue. Wouldn't want to get banned
Yeah, because that's all blacks on the north side. There are a lot more positive households in the black community than you know. "How do I know",you ask? I'm part of one. Btw,I work in law enforcement, so I deal with the,"lesser elements of society",as well. I hate to burst your bubble,but we're not all blaming the white man,slavery,or anything else that happened years ago. Congratulations son,you just managed to discredit thousands of black police officers,correctional officers,fire fighters, and other black people that work hard to contribute to society. Please turn off BET,go outside,and meet some black people in real life.

Sorry for my rant, but this garbage is ridiculous.

Last edited by Napoleon357; 07-06-2010 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
I have an idea. How about we fund public K-12 education on a per capita basis, rather than the stupid system we currently have that's based on home values and property taxes. I believe that would go a long way in helping to even the playing field for poor minorities and poor whites.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 AM

648 posts, read 1,174,899 times
Are you kidding? This is a joke, right? Obviously there's certain aspects of modern reality that you are unfamiliar with. Let people congregate with their own people if they want to.. it's human nature. There is no law that says the human population has to become completely homogenized. There are areas that are more mixed (like NYC) and areas that are not. Just let it be. Forced desegregation does NOT work. As for those in the ghettoes, they need to take personal responsibility and address their own issues (and, many of them do.. but no enough, obviously). There is no one who can or who is obligated to do it for them... and it's not up to the 'patronage of the kind-hearted white man' to fix the problem. Also there is nothing wrong with all-white areas.. (even though the delusional ultra-liberal whites will be the first to whine about it).. Whites should be allowed to live with their own kind if they want to, just like other races can and do. Besides, ask those folks about the crime rate in their area.... that says it all.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Are you kidding? This is a joke, right? Obviously there's certain aspects of modern reality that you are unfamiliar with. Let people congregate with their own people if they want to.. it's human nature. There is no law that says the human population has to become completely homogenized. There are areas that are more mixed (like NYC) and areas that are not. Just let it be. Forced desegregation does NOT work. As for those in the ghettoes, they need to take personal responsibility and address their own issues (and, many of them do.. but no enough, obviously). There is no one who can or who is obligated to do it for them... and it's not up to the 'patronage of the kind-hearted white man' to fix the problem. Also there is nothing wrong with all-white areas.. (even though the delusional ultra-liberal whites will be the first to whine about it).. Whites should be allowed to live with their own kind if they want to, just like other races can and do. Besides, ask those folks about the crime rate in their area.... that says it all.
Please go back to the 1950's. Honestly, this is 2010, who still says things like "live with their own kind"? You are a dinosaur, and as such, I can't wait until you and the rest of your ilk go extinct.

BTW, what is your own kind? I'm white, however, most white people I know don't share a common culture. Most white Americans are far too mixed and assimilated to have any kind of real ethnic heritage or customs. A bunch of WASPS and rednecks living in suburban enclaves isn't really the same as recent arrivals from Mexico, Somalia, or Vietnam living in an immigrant community.

I love how people like you are so oblivious to the real world, yet constantly try to tell liberals we're the ones living in a fantasy world. Please tell me how somebody who lives in total poverty, who has parent(s) with substance abuse issues, who has to walk past gang members on their way to school everyday, who has no positive role models living in their neighborhood, how exactly does that person take "personal responsibility" when they don't even have food in the cupboards at home? When a girl gets pregnant at 12 years old, how is she supposed to take personal responsibility? I'm just curious.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
When a girl gets pregnant at 12 years old, how is she supposed to take personal responsibility? I'm just curious.
She never should have gotten pregnant to begin with! It's called abstinence or birth control. And there's always adoption, there is nothing stating that a person who gets pregnant by accident only has two choices (keeping it or aborting it). Personal responsibility begins with the person in question, and if she was irresponsible enough to get pregnant at 12, well, hopefully she'll learn her lesson for next time. This applies to ALL races.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
She never should have gotten pregnant to begin with! It's called abstinence or birth control. And there's always adoption, there is nothing stating that a person who gets pregnant by accident only has two choices (keeping it or aborting it). Personal responsibility begins with the person in question, and if she was irresponsible enough to get pregnant at 12, well, hopefully she'll learn her lesson for next time. This applies to ALL races.
Who responds to a rhetorical question?

A 12 year old is a child. The kind of girls who get pregnant at 12, more than likely have mothers who did the same thing. If "she's" (hypothetical now) 12, then mom's probably like 25 and too busy going out and partying and hooking up to give a **** about raising her kid(s). Sooooo, any chance those kids might have to get out of their dysfunctional household of course they're to jump at it, whether it be to move in with an older guy (in the case of a girl) or roll with a crew and couch surf (in the case of a boy). Then they don't finish high school. Then they can't get real jobs. Then all they have to look forward to is sex, drugs, and alcohol, so they end up with some kids, and ouila! the cycle continues. That scenario I'm describing could just as easily be inner city Milwaukee, as it could my hometown of Menasha, as it could be Keshena (the rez) way up north. It's not exclusive to Black and brown people in big cities, it's a perpetuation of ignorance that is extremely difficult to break free from, I can speak from personal experience.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,899 times
jj~ Honestly sometimes I would love to go back to the 50's.. considering the way the world is today.
'People should be able to live with their own kind' means exactly that. What would you like to do, go around in black neighborhoods, Italian or Asian neighborhoods, or largely white/European-American neighborhoods, and put a gun to everyone's head and order them to disperse amongst other people? Yeah that's a great idea. I call that Liberal Tyranny.
So most whites you know are far too mixed and assimilated to have any real heritage or customs...? Well speak for yourself.. and that's pretty sad. European-American culture & heritage is just as valid as any other one.. but yes, many have been brainwashed into thinking they have none, or they should not care about it, or horrors-! be actually proud of it. But that's their loss. So no, you cannot 'force' everyone to assimilate 100% everywhere if they don't want to.... that would be totalitarianism. Your post shows that some of the worst self-hatred and anti-white racism is practiced by whites themselves....and just shows how ignorant you are of your own ethnicity. 'Oh there's a bunch of whites all living together.. they must be a bunch of WASPS & rednecks.' Oh yes, of course. Obviously! Why, what else could they be...? (snicker.)

A girl (of any background) getting pregnant at 12 is obviously not going to be able to 'take responsibility' as much as a woman of an older age, because she is a child and this means she is a victim of rape (duh.). The person who has to take personal responsibility is the man who got her pregnant, and/or the adult parents who are neglecting her.. along with the parents of the boy (if it was a boy) who got her pregnant. AND the community at large. If we are talking specifically about the 'black community' (which is an utterly racist term if we refuse to recognize the term 'white community').. then it is up to them to get it together and save themselves. Because while non-black folks can try to help here & there (and sometimes succeed)-- no one can do it for them,, no one can 'save them'. And if you believe they are poor little innocent creatures that need to be rescued and saved from themselves... then that sounds pretty patronizing (an racist) to me. And only leads to a false, overflated sense of entitlement... as we have consistently seen in recent history.

People like me refuse to say 'ohh,, the poor things.. they just CAN'T do it! They need our help!!' I would rather say,, 'oh yes they CAN.... they will figure it out. They are not helpless.' It says a lot about the character of a people/race/culture to see how they handle themselves. Some can rise above adversity (just like those of other cultures/races have)... and many can't. So let them figure it out. And in the meantime, I am happy to be with my own culture, and am more than happy to mingle with others IF they act like civilized human beings. Those that don't, I want to be as far as possible from (been there, done that, & paid my dues a million times over), and people have every right to be able to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee