Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM

512 posts, read 474,058 times

Advertisements

As the others on this thread have stated, it is a county full of close-minded right-wingers that are apprehensive about the presence of minorities. In retrospect, most of the burbs in Waukesha County, as well as Washington County (its neighboring county), were havens for white flight decades ago. As a POC, I can attest to the pervasiveness of racism and racial profiling in Waukesha County. For some reason, when I commute to lily white Madison and its surrounding towns for work (or anywhere in Dane County), I feel much more welcomed than I do in the WOW counties. I don't why, and I've always wondered why that has been the case for me. It's interesting considering that, demographically speaking, Dane County is nearly as white as the WOW counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 10:39 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,888,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderP View Post
Ha! That's what I was worried about. I figured the "looking for diversity" would be a key that I'm far from the conservative, gun-toting type. I am, however of the friendly law-abiding type ��
I was very much joking. All kinds of people lives there and Wisconsin attitude in general (even among conservatives) is "mind your own business". My old teacher in deer hunting used to say - "politics and religion discussions are banned in talks among hunters (because no 2 guys even among that supposedly conservative group would agree on anything) and recepies of summer sausage making (as well as chili stew, or other tasty treats) are encouraged.

I love concervative crowd, they are quite often more open-minded than so-called liberals (and don't expect me to pay higher taxes for their needs).

Old 10-06-2017, 10:47 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,888,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That's about right. I grew up in the burbs of Waukesha County, you literally couldn't pay me to move back. I visit my parents & that's it. There's no other reason to go there. OP, I really don't recommend. Like this poster mentioned, it's incredibly bland, boring, strip malls, chain restaurants, conservative, just nothing to do.
OMG, you guys having mansions there sitting on acres of land. You own deer hunting grounds right off your house. You can grab a shotgun and pretty much go duck hunting or rabbit hunting just minutes away (or actually even walk there). Plenty of opportunities to drink boose or beer with your neighbors and share grilling bratwurst secrets. Weekly entertainments and community building events at local churches. Like unending opportunities to enjoy solitude and stay with your family and away from any bad influence brought by 'god damn liberals'.

Great and safe environment to raise your family. I really don't understand why anyone wouldn't love it.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:08 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,338 times
The hypocrisy in this thread is amusing.

Quote:
I want a diverse community
Quote:
I figured the "looking for diversity" would be a key that I'm far from the conservative, gun-toting type.
What's your definition of diverse? A variety of opinions and areas of study...or a liberal enclave where nothing is diverse but skin pigmentation? Do not be fooled: Waukesha may lean more right than the rest of the Milwaukee metro, but it's approach to politics is still quite diverse. See attached results from POTUS election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
[Implying Waukesha is bad] Very conservative.
Quote:
.....you literally couldn't pay me to move back.....it's incredibly conservative....
Liberals...they're so open and accepting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Also, really incredibly bland culturally.
Quote:
it's incredibly bland, boring
This part I agree. Although how "incredibly" boring it is depends on your taste of outdoor activities.
Attached Thumbnails
Waukesha--What's it like?-waukeshavsmke.jpg  

Old 10-06-2017, 08:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
when I commute to lily white Madison and its surrounding towns for work (or anywhere in Dane County), I feel much more welcomed than I do in the WOW counties. I don't why, and I've always wondered why that has been the case for me. It's interesting considering that, demographically speaking, Dane County is nearly as white as the WOW counties.
Oh that's because Madison is liberal and progressive and open minded to all, after hate has no home in Madison. Liberals are more friendly and enjoy diversity and dissenting opinion whenever they are spoken, clearly in the wow counties where it's republican and everyone is stuck in the 50's, it's no wonder you have the experiences you have had. After all in Madison it's coexist, tolerance, books over bombs, teachers care, no farms no food, Bush lied people died, war is not the answer, value all families, resist, because of my faith I vote democrat, climate voter and whatever other bumper sticker you'll see.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:44 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Oh that's because Madison is liberal and progressive and open minded to all, after hate has no home in Madison. Liberals are more friendly and enjoy diversity and dissenting opinion whenever they are spoken, clearly in the wow counties where it's republican and everyone is stuck in the 50's, it's no wonder you have the experiences you have had. After all in Madison it's coexist, tolerance, books over bombs, teachers care, no farms no food, Bush lied people died, war is not the answer, value all families, resist, because of my faith I vote democrat, climate voter and whatever other bumper sticker you'll see.
Dane County drives most job growth and population growth for the entire state of Wisconsin. The wow counties have far less job growth and population growth overall while Milwaukee County is mostly status quo in terms of both.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:18 PM

512 posts, read 474,058 times
Quote:
I have a job that requires frequent traveling. I've been commuting to Dane County (particularly Madison-proper, Middleton, Verona, Mt. Horeb, and Oregon) almost every week for five years. The cops in Dane County rarely acknowledge me (not once have I been pulled over for DWB - driving while black), yet I can't go a week without being pulled over when traveling to several places in Waukesha County (I commute to that county for week every other week). The people (usually white people) there are friendly, strike up conversations, smile, hold doors open for me, and don't fear me because I'm African American. In contrast, I met with stares and glares wherever I go in Waukesha and Washington counties. Considering that those are GOP-run counties, it makes perfect sense as to why the residents bring me a sense of discomfort and why I experience so much racism in those counties (I have nothing against conservatives, but it's no coincidence that I feel far more accepted in progressive/liberal Dane).

Old 10-07-2017, 07:50 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Dane County drives most job growth and population growth for the entire state of Wisconsin. The wow counties have far less job growth and population growth overall while Milwaukee County is mostly status quo in terms of both.
I beg to differ, the Milwaukee area and the Green Bay-Fox Valley down to FDL drive most of the economic growth in the state and it's not even close. When Madison adds jobs a lot of it is government based and internships. In Madison you have only 5 major employers, the rest is smaller companies and it's not very diverse of an economy. Dane County has seen nice population growth percentage wise, but it's still a lot smaller in terms of population to the Green Bay/Fox Valley area. BTW you're leaving out Racine county, The Milwaukee area now includes Racine county and (Jefferson, Dodge in CSA) and Walworth counties and depending on who you ask Kenosha, IE the Milwaukee 7.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:20 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
The hypocrisy in this thread is amusing.

What's your definition of diverse? A variety of opinions and areas of study...or a liberal enclave where nothing is diverse but skin pigmentation? Do not be fooled: Waukesha may lean more right than the rest of the Milwaukee metro, but it's approach to politics is still quite diverse. See attached results from POTUS election.

Liberals...they're so open and accepting!

This part I agree. Although how "incredibly" boring it is depends on your taste of outdoor activities.
Waukesha County is conservative, that's a fact. As for your quotes of mine & someone else's post, you changed the posts that you quoted. That's against TOS.

Quote:
I fail to see how any of what you listed could be considered a negative. Care to explain?

Old 10-08-2017, 11:54 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
I beg to differ, the Milwaukee area and the Green Bay-Fox Valley down to FDL drive most of the economic growth in the state and it's not even close. When Madison adds jobs a lot of it is government based and internships. In Madison you have only 5 major employers, the rest is smaller companies and it's not very diverse of an economy. Dane County has seen nice population growth percentage wise, but it's still a lot smaller in terms of population to the Green Bay/Fox Valley area. BTW you're leaving out Racine county, The Milwaukee area now includes Racine county and (Jefferson, Dodge in CSA) and Walworth counties and depending on who you ask Kenosha, IE the Milwaukee 7.
I don't have job growth trends by county for the last decade, but I'm certain that Dane County has seen faster job growth in percentage terms than FDL, while Appleton and Green Bay are growing modestly in jobs- slower in population growth than Dane County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee