Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 PM

88 posts, read 214,836 times

Advertisements

This really is a futile argument for all us proponents of light rail. We're not getting any light rail system. However,in true Milwaukee fashion,by the time we get light rail everyone else will be teleporting like in Star Trek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 PM

335 posts, read 675,586 times
I dont understand why milwaukee has not built a lightrail. no milwaukee is not anywhere near as big as chicago but 2 million people is alot of people certainly enough to build a light rail. i cant imagine minneapolis having any worse of a traffic problem then milwaukee and minneapolis is in the process of building the central and southwest lightrails in addition to the hiawatha line and the northstar commuter rail. i think a light rail would do great things for milwaukee. milwaukee is a huge city and definitely needs more public transportation options.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:16 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
i cant imagine minneapolis having any worse of a traffic problem then milwaukee and minneapolis is in the process of building the central and southwest lightrails in addition to the hiawatha line and the northstar commuter rail.
Minneapolis does have more congestion.

INRIX National Traffic Scorecard (http://scorecard.inrix.com/scorecard/Top100Metros.asp - broken link)

Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
I dont understand why milwaukee has not built a lightrail. no milwaukee is not anywhere near as big as chicago but 2 million people is alot of people certainly enough to build a light rail. i cant imagine minneapolis having any worse of a traffic problem then milwaukee and minneapolis is in the process of building the central and southwest lightrails in addition to the hiawatha line and the northstar commuter rail. i think a light rail would do great things for milwaukee. milwaukee is a huge city and definitely needs more public transportation options.
Having recently experienced Twin Cities rush hour traffic, I can tell you that yes, it does have a worse traffic problem than Milwaukee. By a long shot.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:58 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
Milwaukee has nowhere near 2 million people. The entire metro area is just over a million. Milwaukee itself is not a huge city. Around 600,000.
Um, actually Milwaukee County has nearly a million people and if you include illegals it's sure to be a million. With that being said the 5 county Milwaukee area has 1.8million people and the Milwaukee 7 area has 2.1 million. You can look up each individual county to see what I am talking about, plus everyone knows Milwaukee's metro is 1.8 so I don't know what you are talking about? and at 1.8 people just round up to 2 million.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 AM

80 posts, read 548,378 times
@stanley47inripin Houston is such a car oriented (sprawl) city I can understand if the light-rail hasn't been a wild success. That said I've ridden the line there (very busy when I took it) and have been in the downtown before and after the light-rail went in and the area downtown certainly became more active (bunch of retail/restaurant/taverns) went in...

Finally, don't just look at population numbers, sure Houston's are high but look at density which plays a bigger role in rail's success and Houston's is pretty low i.e. very very spread out... over something like 500 miles.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:57 AM

50 posts, read 169,097 times
Not a chance , I think light rail would be to costly for us here and it would not be used just like the freeway flier .

Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderwaukee View Post
Not a chance , I think light rail would be to costly for us here and it would not be used just like the freeway flier .
Please explain.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 AM

335 posts, read 675,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderwaukee View Post
if salt lake city has a lightrail why cant milwaukee?

Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 AM

327 posts, read 132,466 times
Quote:
if salt lake city has a lightrail why cant milwaukee?
Cause in Milwaukee, the drivers get assaulted while driving.

Utah is different. Really really different.

Last edited by SkyWriting; 12-11-2009 at 03:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee