Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:29 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
WOW!!! Really? I just checked weather.com and didn't see that. Would they cancel the car show tomorrow at the convention center; that's where I'm working. Thanks
No way they would cancel the car show - a storm isn't AWFUL here unless it gets over 12, 14 inches. Certainly I am not affiliated, so I cannot swear to it, but I would bet nearly everything I own that this won't be nearly big enough to disrupt the show.

However, I am shocked you didn't see this on weather.com. I have it up right now and there are red lights flashing all over it with the reports. They are stating 5 to 8 inches, and it sounds like more towards the IL border, so up here in MKE it'll be hit or miss in some regards, although surely there will be at least a few inches (if not many more).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 05:54 PM

395 posts, read 1,861,570 times
Whenever the weather forecasters get in a tizzy about a "huge storm" approaching, I always think: "I'll believe it when I see it."

Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Regarding brats: like another poster said, the brat guy on Water & Wisconsin is not in business til it gets warmer. However, I did see a stand further east on Wisconsin just the other day, closer to First Wisconsin. I can't remember if they have brats though, I think they do.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Ok,

I just checked in and you guys didn't tell me that you can still smoke indoors. I didn't think this was legal anywhere in the country in 2009. There was an open smoking lounge, literally right next to check in at the hotel and about 20 guys who look like they just got out on parole were smoking away. All of the guests were complaining. It's absolutely DISGUSTING!!! Boo on Milwaukee for allowing indoor smoking in 2009.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 PM

Found out about an hour ago that narcanon meets here and most likely, they were on parole. I'm all for 2nd chances, but it's really odd for a Hilton to let narcanon meet there. There were dozens of thugs, smoking and one of my colleagues saw one shooting up heroin. Nonetheless, the hotel reeks like smoke everywhere and the shuttle driver said that anyone can pretty much smoke anywhere indoors in Milwaukee. What a black eye on your city. I mean this is 2009 for crying out loud.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Ok,

I just checked in and you guys didn't tell me that you can still smoke indoors. I didn't think this was legal anywhere in the country in 2009. There was an open smoking lounge, literally right next to check in at the hotel and about 20 guys who look like they just got out on parole were smoking away. All of the guests were complaining. It's absolutely DISGUSTING!!! Boo on Milwaukee for allowing indoor smoking in 2009.
Quote:
Found out about an hour ago that narcanon meets here and most likely, they were on parole. I'm all for 2nd chances, but it's really odd for a Hilton to let narcanon meet there. There were dozens of thugs, smoking and one of my colleagues saw one shooting up heroin. Nonetheless, the hotel reeks like smoke everywhere and the shuttle driver said that anyone can pretty much smoke anywhere indoors in Milwaukee. What a black eye on your city. I mean this is 2009 for crying out loud.
You seem pretty anti-big government / pro-libertarianism in many of the others posts of yours that I have seen. I guess I was wrong in my assumptions.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
However, I did see a stand further east on Wisconsin just the other day, closer to First Wisconsin. I can't remember if they have brats though, I think they do.
They do (have brats). That guy is pretty hard core. It is right in front of the US Bank (no longer the "First Wisconsin" by a long, long time) building. He's out there quite often through the whole winter. I find it nuts, and it seems his business model must be hit hard by the long cold winter months, but he's still out there often, so at least some must be buying.

This is something like "George's Big Dogs" or something, and he's out there for the "lunch hours" M - F. Not as good as the vendor by Wisconsin and Water, but not too bad either.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
You seem pretty anti-big government / pro-libertarianism in many of the others posts of yours that I have seen. I guess I was wrong in my assumptions.
No, you're right. I'm a staunch conservative. Smoking isn't a political issue, it's a health issue. Wanna kill yourself, be my guest, just don't kill me as well. Not to mention it stinks to high heavens, stinks up my clothes, hair and food. I travel 3 outta 4 weeks a year and this is the first city that I've been to that allows unrestricted smoking indoors. I honestly didn't know that there were major cities in America that allowed indoor smoking in 2009, I guess there are others, I just haven't been to them. I was really taken aback. It's disgusting, plain and simple.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 AM

So last night I just wound up going downstairs at Miller Time Pub and getting a burger to go. In all honesty, it was one of the best burgers that I've had in a long time.

This morning I woke up to a blizzard; I have new found respect for the denizens of Milwaukee and Wisconsin as a whole. Y'all are a hearty bunch. I called my dad to vent my complaints about all of the smoke everywhere and he basically told me to shut up, it wasn't going to kill me. lol We're from a different generation, I'm 36 and abhor smoking, he's 64 and despite being a non smoker, grew up with it; heck my mom smoked throughout here pregnancy with me.

I was going to try and walk down to OPH for breakfast, but about 3 blocks of gale force winds combined with 0 degree weather and a blizzard rerouted me to Dunkin Donuts a block away.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
This is true. Heck, for lunch, you could probably hit 90% of the restaurants in Milwaukee for $20 (dinner obviously though more).

I guess when the OP was describing kind of a search for "cheap eats", it kind of fell in contrast to that $20 range, as my definition of "cheap eats" is more like somewhere where one can get a hearty, delicious, local meal for $4, $8, etc.

Actually there *is* a Culver's in the Grand Ave. Mall's food court, although I still maintain that Culver's doesn't give one a unique Milwaukee "frozen custard experience" to nearly the degree Kopp's (or Leon's or Kitt's would / does) - especially the Grand Ave. Culver's (which is more of a classic food court type of set up) - so I would rather see the OP find a way the short way up the north shore to hit Kopp's than to settle for the GA food court.

But for what it is / does, I do believe that Culver's tends to do pretty good business in the GA - if folks know about it.

As for a Kopp's, yeah, you'd think there would be Downtown potential, although I question whether the costs of opening a business in Downtown (versus where they are now) make it a bit prohibitive for them.
Just to clarify, I meant $15-$20 for dinner, $10-$12 for lunch. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee