Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times

Advertisements

Im surprised to hear you lived in Milwaukee also. I come from SFL, never having lived in a northern climate so I have struggled with learning how to live in winter - and handle all the things that come with it - I cant say I love being outdoors during winter months, and that I dont get down and frustrated, but the summers more than make up for it - they are spectacular.

I would recommend seeing a therapist - perhaps that would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 06:34 PM

96 posts, read 132,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Im surprised to hear you lived in Milwaukee also. I come from SFL, never having lived in a northern climate so I have struggled with learning how to live in winter - and handle all the things that come with it - I cant say I love being outdoors during winter months, and that I dont get down and frustrated, but the summers more than make up for it - they are spectacular.

I would recommend seeing a therapist - perhaps that would help.
I have family in midwest (Chicago/Wisconsin). I escaped here, and while it's a nice area, I don't like the cold or the midwest, in general. What is SFL? South Fl? that is where I want to be, if I could....Anyways, the summers are great here, as they are in Milwaukee and Chicago. But the winters are rough. Your supposed to enjoy them, but I prefer to avoid them.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 PM

Woudl love to see therapist, also. They are so hard to find, do u know any good one? I find looking for a therapist a real hard thing. Noramlly I exercise and the prpoblem goes away.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:39 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
I've got a classmate from Seattle and she's used to the rainy and cloudy days, so it's not normal for her to see tons of sunny days. Mpls used to be really boring until I finally did something about it. Recently I started walking every now and then and it's good for you. Thank God I live 30 minutes (walking distance) from downtown so it's all good. Even if I've seen downtown at least 1000 times (exaggerating here), the "new" environment helps a lot. I get cabin fever so I rather take my chances of walking and touring MPLS. It's fun...despite the cold weathers we have. That's what make Minnesota...Minnesota.

Last edited by ho hey!; 12-22-2010 at 07:59 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 07:37 PM

I want to go to Seattle, looks like a good life.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
In general, if you are depressed in one place you'll be depressed anywhere you go. And I'm not referring to SAD (seasonal affectiveness disorder).

Old 12-22-2010, 08:09 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I lived in MN 43 years, and even when it got down to 20 below and/or there was tons of snow, and the sun was out, I was a happy camper! MN can be so beautiful with a clear blue sky day in the wintertime.

Enter the clouds, and my energy level would go kaput!

It's true, if you're a depressive person like myself, that bell jar follows you anywhere. But, at least, I'm not as suicidal as I was living in MN in the winter time, particularly during one of those rare snow-less winters.

We've had 4 straight days of light rain here, a real rarity here, and if the sun doesn't come out tomorrow, I'm going ballistic!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Every year winter gets harder for me to take. There's a lot to love about Minnesota but I think the day will come when the winters don't make it worth it.

Taking vitamin D and using a SAD light can help, last I saw Costco had personal ones for around $50.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:15 PM

just went for walk..feel much better..ahhh.

The weather was warm thanfully, only 28 degrees, altho I was bundled up. Tomorrow a new day, thanks for the help!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:18 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post
I don't like it here....Want to move out asap, I have a lease till July but want to go now. Not sure why people move to the midwest, in all honesty. It's very cold here, for me.
Try to get out of your lease and leave now. I don't understand why anyone would move to MN from outside the Midwest either. I grew up around here, but I still hate it. Too cold and isolating in the winter. I stay because the economic conditions are horrible in the area that I really would love to live in, which is Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul