Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM

96 posts, read 131,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
This isn't a 'rants and raves' website. If you want to troll around, do that on craigslist.

About the cold- Yeah, it's winter and it's Mid-Continental Midwest. What do you expect, it to be warm? Go out and spend about $300-on nice shoes, gloves, jacket and scarf and you wont be bothered.

I don't know what there isn't to like:

- 4 very distinct seasons
-- Spring - Mar, Apr, May
-- Summer - June, July, August
-- Fall - Sept, Oct, Nov
-- Winter - Dec, Jan, Feb

- Some of the best schools that money can get you
- Parks, trails and zoos
- Some of the cleanest air quality and water quality in the US
- Fortune 500s
- Healthiest residents
- 15,000 lakes
- one of the largest lakes -Superior
- one of the longest rivers - Mississippi
- fishing, hunting, hiking and camping
- four professional sports teams
- arts scene
- music scene

I agree, Minnesota's biggest downfall is the winter, but it just makes us appreciate the summer. There is nothing like the first 60 degree day and seeing people just come out of the woodwork...

If you cant get over a bit of cold and snow from Dec-March then good riddiance.

Hi,

Thanks for reply. Can you plz recommend a place where I can buy winter clothes for $300? I terribly need that.

Also, went biking yesterday since it is now 'warmer'. I lasted about 25 mins and my hands literally were frozen, very painful when I return. I had gloves on but not the thickest. Any advice? Also it was freezing (18 degrees, 6 with windchill). I thought this was gonna be a warmer week. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,482 times
Sammy, there are several used clothing and consignment shops in town that sell everything you need to outfit yourself in warm clothes without needing to spend a mint. They range from bargain basement Unique Thrift stores to high end Buffalo Exchange style places. For $300 you can set yourself up in style.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for reply. Can you plz recommend a place where I can buy winter clothes for $300? I terribly need that.

Also, went biking yesterday since it is now 'warmer'. I lasted about 25 mins and my hands literally were frozen, very painful when I return. I had gloves on but not the thickest. Any advice? Also it was freezing (18 degrees, 6 with windchill). I thought this was gonna be a warmer week. Thank you
If you don't mind expensive, I would recommand R.E.I, Columbia, Northface or something along those line. They, IMO, have the best winter season clothes. I'm about to go for my walk in 30 minutes since it's a lot warmer than yesterday and it's sunny. I can't wait. So excited.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post
Hi,

Are you a female?

if you are:

Coat: The North Face*Women's*Jackets & Vests*WOMEN'S OSO HOODIE .... $129.00

Remember to buy a size bigger, most of the time you should clothing under the coat as well.

Boots: The North Face*Women's*Footwear*Boots*WOMEN'S NUPTSE® BOOTIE III FUR ....$90.00

Remember to buy a little bigger, as you should have thick wool socks on underneath

Gloves: The North Face*Women's*Accessories*Gloves/Mitts*WOMEN'S WINDWALL® GLOVE .... $30.00

Socks: The North Face*Women's*Accessories*Gloves/Mitts*WOMEN'S WINDWALL® GLOVE ... $20.00

Hat: The North Face*Women's*Accessories*EAR GEAR ... $18.00

$287.00 done.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
This isn't a 'rants and raves' website. If you want to troll around, do that on craigslist.

About the cold- Yeah, it's winter and it's Mid-Continental Midwest. What do you expect, it to be warm? Go out and spend about $300-on nice shoes, gloves, jacket and scarf and you wont be bothered.

I don't know what there isn't to like:

- 4 very distinct seasons
-- Spring - Mar, Apr, May
-- Summer - June, July, August
-- Fall - Sept, Oct, Nov
-- Winter - Dec, Jan, Feb

- Some of the best schools that money can get you
- Parks, trails and zoos
- Some of the cleanest air quality and water quality in the US
- Fortune 500s
- Healthiest residents
- 15,000 lakes
- one of the largest lakes -Superior
- one of the longest rivers - Mississippi
- fishing, hunting, hiking and camping
- four professional sports teams
- arts scene
- music scene

I agree, Minnesota's biggest downfall is the winter, but it just makes us appreciate the summer. There is nothing like the first 60 degree day and seeing people just come out of the woodwork...

If you cant get over a bit of cold and snow from Dec-March then good riddiance.
Wow, that patented Minnesota Smug (tm) all wrapped up in one posting. Especially the last line. That one says it all: if you don't like it here, leave. We don't want you anyway.

Smugness is obviously not unique to Minnesotans, but they sure perfected it. All those things you list -- that checklist -- is borne out of the root of that aforementioned smugness: insecurity. We're insecure about our state, mainly because winters here are horrible. Hey, it's below zero with eight feet of snow, but we have 593 theatres! You care about theatres, right? Just strap on your moon boots, your parka, your longjohns, your snow pants, your woolen mittens and hat, and go to one of our theatres!

You can blab about the schools, but the fact is that they're falling in quality with everything else here. They have been given absolutely ZERO help from Tim Pawlenty and no help is in sight with the enormous deficit he left us.

As far as the ever-inflating lake count, there is some truth to the saying that we gain 5,000 lakes every time it rains. Lake Superior is indeed nice, but it's only available for recreation five months at most. The Mississippi offers little recreation, especially in the Twin Cities. Fishing/hunting/hiking/camping can all be done in each of our 50 states.

That big old chestnut of a list contains the reason(s) purported to explain why people stay in Minnesota. But the real reason we stay is the same reason why people stay anywhere: inertia.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 PM

96 posts, read 131,987 times
LOL!! Thanks that was funny. I totally agree with inertia. I told my dad today I am moving (over the phone) and he was like u will move away from the Vikings (obviously he doesn't want me to move). Ur post is great!

Old 12-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Wow, that patented Minnesota Smug (tm) all wrapped up in one posting. # 1 Especially the last line. That one says it all: if you don't like it here, leave. We don't want you anyway.

Smugness is obviously not unique to Minnesotans, but they sure perfected it. All those things you list -- that checklist -- is borne out of the root of that aforementioned smugness: insecurity. We're insecure about our state, mainly because winters here are horrible. Hey, it's below zero with eight feet of snow, but we have 593 theatres! #2 You care about theatres, right? Just strap on your moon boots, your parka, your longjohns, your snow pants, your woolen mittens and hat, and go to one of our theatres!

You can blab about the schools, but the fact is that they're falling in quality with everything else here. They have been given absolutely ZERO help from Tim Pawlenty and no help is in sight with the enormous deficit he left us.#3

As far as the ever-inflating lake count, there is some truth to the saying that we gain 5,000 lakes every time it rains. Lake Superior is indeed nice, but it's only available for recreation five months at most. The Mississippi offers little recreation, especially in the Twin Cities. Fishing/hunting/hiking/camping can all be done in each of our 50 states.

That big old chestnut of a list contains the reason(s) purported to explain why people stay in Minnesota. But the real reason we stay is the same reason why people stay anywhere: inertia.
#1 - How's that smug? Because there are things to do, and just sitting on your computer crying does nothing. I don't like coming in here reading at how "Cold Minnesotans are". I'm a Minnesota and I'm certainly not like that, so I really resent that.

#2 Speak for yourself. I'm not insecure at all. I love Minnesota. I have friends that have lived all over and they all still love Minnesota. I also understand that I live a region that is Mid-Continent, upper midwest of the US. Obviously it gets cold. I'm over that. YOU SIR and YOUR insecurities think our winter is ''horrible''. I love winter. Yeah, it's cold, boo hoo, the summer is hot. That's life. But I buy nice clothes, and get engaged in activity and don't let weather run my life. I go ice skating, hockey, skiing, xcountry skiing. And that's in the little free time I actually have (i work full time)

#3 typical lefty response for every coffee drinking, dark framed glasses wearing Elitist in MN. "Paw Paw left us a deficit!".. Either way, I'd still send my kid to a public school in the Twin Cities over any public school in some states. I was "in school" just 9 years ago, and we always had the top of the line sports equipment, computers, books and energized educators.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Wow, that patented Minnesota Smug (tm) all wrapped up in one posting. Especially the last line. That one says it all: if you don't like it here, leave. We don't want you anyway.

Smugness is obviously not unique to Minnesotans, but they sure perfected it. All those things you list -- that checklist -- is borne out of the root of that aforementioned smugness: insecurity. We're insecure about our state, mainly because winters here are horrible. Hey, it's below zero with eight feet of snow, but we have 593 theatres! You care about theatres, right? Just strap on your moon boots, your parka, your longjohns, your snow pants, your woolen mittens and hat, and go to one of our theatres!

You can blab about the schools, but the fact is that they're falling in quality with everything else here. They have been given absolutely ZERO help from Tim Pawlenty and no help is in sight with the enormous deficit he left us.

Why is Lake Superior only available for recreation five months at the most? And why does the Mississippi offer so little recreation in the Twin Cities? Just wondering

Old 12-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Why is Lake Superior only available for recreation five months at the most? And why does the Mississippi offer so little recreation in the Twin Cities? Just wondering
That's what I was wondering...
I've gone Ice Fishing on Lake Superior...

Old 12-28-2010, 04:47 PM

581 posts, read 2,307,985 times
I just wanted to say that I moved here from Denver 2 months ago and love it here. Before Denver I lived in sunny Southern California.. I would not move back to either Denver or California..

In fact I'm enjoying December Spring-Like Conditions in St. Paul.. BTW, When does winter actually start??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul