Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How's traffic in Minneapolis/St. Paul compared to a decade ago?
better 8 19.05%
worse 27 64.29%
the same 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times

Advertisements

I had this argument about traffic with a friend of mine once, who was trying to convince me that the Twin Cities had one of the worst traffic problems in the country. I forget what exact website we stumbled onto in trying to settle the debate, but whoever did the study put the Twin Cities about 15th on the list of cities with the worst traffic/commute - and the Twin Cities is also about the 15th largest metro area in the country. So it seems to be in line with what you would expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 02:29 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
I used to do lawn care literally everywhere in the metro. I crossed over the 35W bridge 3 times that day it fell into the river. There isn't a suburb that I haven't worked in. I know the metro like the back of my hand. I've done the 169 South in Bloomington, I've done the Crosstown Mess, I've done the can of worms crap at 35E and 694, I've been down to Cottage Grove, I've done the highway 100, and I've done everything in between.

Since I'm younger, I can't really speak about the traffic, but my parents say they have consistently gotten up earlier and earlier while getting home later and later as the years have gone on.

I can tell you. Once I was working in Lakeville. We left Lakeville at 3:30, and I didn't get back to the shop in Rogers until 6:30 pm. I'm sorry, rush hour or not, on a Tuesday afternoon it shouldn't take 3 hours to travel 45 miles. That my friends is poor traffic management.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:15 PM

335 posts, read 675,977 times
has anyone seen the light rail with 3cars. just wondering because they extended the platforms to fit 3 car trains.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM

573 posts, read 1,050,251 times
Is there a way to get off work in Plymouth at 430 pm and Get to south stpaul and avoid traffic?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:56 PM

319 posts, read 528,870 times
Holy necro

Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
There's no such thing as "better traffic". If you get more, you get worse. Maybe the city population is frozen in place, but that means nothing. More people go more places all by themselves. It is the brainless kneejerk decision. Result? Worse.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM

191 posts, read 380,488 times
Congested roads are a tragedy of the commons. Because roads are free at the point of usage, there is little financial incentive for drivers not to over-use them, up to the point where traffic collapses into a jam.

Furthermore, the more roads we build, the more traffic we get. This is because of the phenomenon of induced demand, or latent demand--the phenomenon that as supply increases, MORE of a good is consumed. In other words, more roadways means we can live farther and father away from where we need to go, resulting in ever more demand for use of those roadways.

To improve traffic, we need to build LESS freeways (maybe remove some) or charge tolls on them.

More lanes simply DOES NOT WORK:

Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces69 View Post
Congested roads are a tragedy of the commons. Because roads are free at the point of usage, there is little financial incentive for drivers not to over-use them, up to the point where traffic collapses into a jam.

Furthermore, the more roads we build, the more traffic we get. This is because of the phenomenon of induced demand, or latent demand--the phenomenon that as supply increases, MORE of a good is consumed. In other words, more roadways means we can live farther and father away from where we need to go, resulting in ever more demand for use of those roadways.

To improve traffic, we need to build LESS freeways (maybe remove some) or charge tolls on them.

Lane placement is more important then the number of lanes on a total route. If you have three routes of four lanes each, you will have more reliable traffic flow than one road with 12 lanes. The Twin Cities is in the former situation in most locations, while Atlanta tends toward the latter. That's why I-75 can bottle up here even though it's something like 14 lanes at one point ... one single event can take everything out.

In the Twin Cities, I almost always had multiple ways of getting to work. If one was down, I could use another.

I do agree that building more lanes is not a long term solution, but the alternatives (buses to put more people in a smaller road footprint, light or heavy rail to provide mass point-to-point transport, etc.) all have various disadvantages. Cost is a big one for rail, of course. Buses are useful, but one still has to live close to a bus stop in order to use them unless you also build bus stations, and then you start running into cost issues again.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces69 View Post

LOL...if you are going to try and make a point about traffic congestion you'd probably be more credible if you didn't use a photo-shopped altered image.

so what did you do, google "massive traffic jam" and figure that would somehow support your point?

Last edited by Ghengis; 08-31-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
LOL...if you are going to try and make a point about traffic congestion you'd probably be more credible if you didn't use a photo-shopped altered image.

so what did you do, google "massive traffic jam" and figure that would somehow support your point?
While I'm not the other poster, here's a real life example a few miles away from my current location that shows a real traffic jam maybe three weeks ago.

If people had a good alternative route, you wouldn't see some of those cars in that photo.

Source:
Southbound I-75 reopens in southwest Atlanta following wreck - CBS Atlanta 46
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul