Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

I like puppies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 AM

391 posts, read 659,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I like puppies.
Point taken...

I get lost every time I drive in DTMPLS because of the number streets and avenues intersecting. Biking down there would help me become familiar with the layout.

In DTSTP, the number streets run parallel to the river, and name streets are perpendicular, for most of Downtown and Lowertown.

The curveball (literally) is that Kellogg Blvd. does both. It starts one direction up by the cathedral and 94 fwy, curves around the Xcel/River Center and follows the river.

The wedge formed by Kellogg, 7th St. and St. Peter St. is where things get weird (around Rice Park) because everything changes direction slightly. 5th and 6th intersect with 7th.

Again biking there helped a lot, and it is a much smaller area than DTMPLS.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 AM

927 posts, read 2,466,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVegas View Post
The one in Pasadena?
Technically it's Glendale, but near Pasadena, yes.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:51 PM

28 posts, read 104,213 times
Hello! I'm just coming around to share my newest cool Minneapolis video. THis shows lots of winter traffic downtown, thus the posting in "Minneapolis Driving". Enjoy.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 AM

411 posts, read 992,529 times
We cracked the top-10!

Study: MN Traffic among Worst in Nation (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/traffic/study-mn-traffic-among-worst-in-nation-sept-27-2011 - broken link)

Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Ok, so on average, MN drivers that have a GPS unit have a round trip commute of 60 minutes if you don't take into consideration any vacation time or sick time....from a study that only looks at GPS data. So places like Washington DC where they have extensive public transportation and people have ONE WAY commutes of an hour or two have better traffic??

Try driving in DC, Boston, NY, LA, St. Louis or any other major metro and tell me that MSP has bad traffic.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:10 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
When I lived in a Washington DC suburb, my commute to Georgetown was an hour and ten minutes by car, train and bus. Or an hour and fifteen minutes by car alone.

Minneapolis has it all over DC in ease of commuting.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 PM

20 posts, read 47,586 times
crushingcupcakes (I like the name):

I feel your pain! I moved from a town of about 80,000 in Iowa, where the most time you'd spend in traffic from one part of town to the other was 15 min---in rush hour! So coming to the Twin Cities was a bit daunting for me. In the past when I drove around here during visits (pre-GPS), I would get so turned around on I35 I would cry/scream.

To acquaint myself with the area I researched my favorite stores (Target, Lowes, Menards, Trader Joes, etc) on their websites and plugged in my address. Each site helped figure which store was the closest to me. I created a journal with addresses---GPS'd them, and after of traveling to each I was able to figure out how to get there w/out the GPS.

Now that I'm a little confident (been here 90 days), I recognize many of the same landmarks when going downtown or to other locations, but I still rely on the GPS to help me get there. Also I've tried to expand my experiences and visit new places for shopping/eating based on others' feedback. One day I'll concentrate on Bloomington/Mall of America area, another day maybe Edina, then maybe Grand Avenue area in St. Paul.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:29 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
We cracked the top-10!

Study: MN Traffic among Worst in Nation (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/traffic/study-mn-traffic-among-worst-in-nation-sept-27-2011 - broken link)
I wonder how many of those drivers with GPS's drove on Hwy 62 for their daily commute. Worst....highway....ever.....hands down.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Technically it's Glendale, but near Pasadena, yes.
There's one in Pasadena, too; that one was the first multiple-story Target in the country; think it opened in the mid-90s. It's on Colorado, near Vroman's (and only a mile or so away from the first Trader Joe's, for people who are into random trivia like that...). Not that it matters, and for what it's worth, I like the downtown Minneapolis Target much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul