Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:16 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I actually agreed with his post. Where we live in South Minneapolis there are alot of East Africans and Mexicans and...loe and behold, the area is characterized by a bunch of African and Mexican restaurants. For me, that equates to local culture....why wouldn't it?
Yeah I get what you're saying and you make an excellent point. But that pertains to that specific neigborhood and you can't blanket that for the entire City of Minneapolis, metro or the State of Minnesota. I guess I should read the OP again, I didn't catch a specific area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Yeah I get what you're saying and you make an excellent point. But that pertains to that specific neigborhood and you can't blanket that for the entire City of Minneapolis, metro or the State of Minnesota. I guess I should read the OP again, I didn't catch a specific area.
He said cheap restaurants in Minneapolis that represent local culture. Without further clarification this is purely up for interpretation. Yes, we all know that classic Minnesota cuisine means wild rice soup, hotdish, walleye, etc. but in my experience that kind of food is more commonly found in small towns outside of the metro and not in Minneapolis proper. My interpretation of local culture in Minneapolis is represented by the larger groups of recent immigrants (East African and Hispanic) but also by the famous Jucy Lucy burger that can be found at Matt's Bar, 5-8 Club, etc. which you had already mentioned in a previous post.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM

442 posts, read 539,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Please don't go to the Uptown Diner. Once you get past the diner schtick you are confronted by the fact that the food there is awful. I work in the restaurant business, everyone I know in the business who has ever eaten there will say it is the worst food they have ever had in a restaurant. The love for that place is mystifying. The food they serve is disgusting. I would rather eat at McDonalds.

For some reason tons of people in this town love that place. I think it is because they have never eaten there when they were sober.
It doesn't advertise itself as a high end restaurant. Their biggest pride is on providing hot food 24/7... Personally, I like it. Very plain food, but very filling and with all the yummy grease and goodness you need after a night out or even a morning trudging through the snow.

What're you expecting for $5 all you can eat pancakes and BOGO deals?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I actually agreed with his post. Where we live in South Minneapolis there are alot of East Africans and Mexicans and...loe and behold, the area is characterized by a bunch of African and Mexican restaurants. For me, that becomes that area's local culture....why wouldn't it?
Because you can get African and Mexican food in any city to go to. The OP was asking for "traditional" MN foods and not that the African and Mexican cultures are not represented here, they are fairly new additions to the state and far from "traditional". Other areas are known for certain foods, East Coast, seafood, Chicago Pizza, the BBQ originated in Kansas City, etc. Yes, you can get those other places but it just isn't the same.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
My partner and I ate at Lowry Cafe (Lowry & 26th St N) the other day - we had their meatloaf and mashed potatoes, good old-style food, excellently prepared. And lots of it - unlike the yuppie restaurants in town that serve you delicacies by the thimbleful, Lowry serves up enough for both of us, and we brought back the leftovers for the next day. Yum!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:27 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Sort of off-topic, but has anyone eaten at the Bandbox in Minneapolis? I happened to wander by it the other day and thought it is likely either (a) tasty and cheap, or (b) really terrible and sketchy. Just curious if its worth considering someday when I forget to bring a lunch to work.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 AM

411 posts, read 992,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
just curious if its worth considering someday when i forget to bring a lunch to work.

yes

Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
yes
Excellent, thanks! Just checked the yelp reviews and those were overwhelmingly positive, too.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Because you can get African and Mexican food in any city to go to. The OP was asking for "traditional" MN foods and not that the African and Mexican cultures are not represented here, they are fairly new additions to the state and far from "traditional". Other areas are known for certain foods, East Coast, seafood, Chicago Pizza, the BBQ originated in Kansas City, etc. Yes, you can get those other places but it just isn't the same.
This "traditional MN" type place is not exactly easy to find. Lot of the old school family type places are dying off one by one. Betty's Pies opened a place near me, but I see it has closed up now. Lasted a couple years or so.

MN is sort of known for hotdish, pot roast, and some Scandinavian stuff that is not really on too many menus. Lefsa, lutefisk ... One other thing that comes to mind is the depression era sandwiches that have way too much butter and mayo, and not nearly enough meat.

Pearson's at 50th and France (if it is still open) is one a place that comes to mind thinking of the traditional MN eatery. I went there once, and would not recommend it so much. Food and service were fine, just not my deal.

I would also say Key's Cafe is pretty traditional, but not uniquely MN. It is worth checking out if you like breakfast for sure.

There is a ton of hamburger joint's here and everywhere else. If you want a good one, Lion's Tap is hard to beat.

Great Asian place - Ha Long Bay

Local fare is changing for sure. I would think Mexican and African as well as Asian food really do fit in with what is becoming the new traditional places here. Personally, I am fairly bored with all the DownTown places that tend to be $$$ to $$$$. Lot of great food to be had without spending a ton of money.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
This "traditional MN" type place is not exactly easy to find. Lot of the old school family type places are dying off one by one. Betty's Pies opened a place near me, but I see it has closed up now. Lasted a couple years or so.

MN is sort of known for hotdish, pot roast, and some Scandinavian stuff that is not really on too many menus. Lefsa, lutefisk ... One other thing that comes to mind is the depression era sandwiches that have way too much butter and mayo, and not nearly enough meat.

Pearson's at 50th and France (if it is still open) is one a place that comes to mind thinking of the traditional MN eatery. I went there once, and would not recommend it so much. Food and service were fine, just not my deal.

I would also say Key's Cafe is pretty traditional, but not uniquely MN. It is worth checking out if you like breakfast for sure.

There is a ton of hamburger joint's here and everywhere else. If you want a good one, Lion's Tap is hard to beat.

Great Asian place - Ha Long Bay

Local fare is changing for sure. I would think Mexican and African as well as Asian food really do fit in with what is becoming the new traditional places here. Personally, I am fairly bored with all the DownTown places that tend to be $$$ to $$$$. Lot of great food to be had without spending a ton of money.
I know, that is why I said that in an earlier post--there really isn't a "traditional" MN food that you get in a restaurant like you do other parts of the country. If I had to pick one I would say find a good, local steakhouse...but then we get outside of the 'cheep' part. Beef around the rest of the country just isn't the same, it's terrible quite honestly, except for the few places we have been that import their beef from MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul