Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Reading your other post, your hubby got transferred to Plymouth. Welcome to MN!

If I was you, I'd live in Plymouth (you would go to Wayzata high school). The school is HUGE so there will be plenty of band opportunities; more kids==more bands and opportunity. The area is full of motivated families (hence the test scores are high). Most average sized MN high schools don't have a big band program any more. Rosemount is known for its band program but it would be a commute. See Music / Overview
Except that Wayzata doesn't have a marching band, at least one that competes in the field show circuit. I didn't know that they worked in Plymouth, no, I would not want that commute either. Most schools in MN have very strong music programs. I disagree with you on that one. Size of the school isn't always indicative of the size of the band program. Our band program is double the size you find at Minnetonka, for example, and Minnetonka school is double the size of our school. They also have a terrible band program and a really not so good marching band. Wayzata doesn't have much of a reputation for their band program overall either. It's a much more sports focused school. The biggest marching band in MN is Marshall's band, high school has 700 kids 9-12 and 200 of those kids are in their marching band.

For band programs with strong marching bands closer to Plymouth I would look into the New Brighton/Mounds View area and the Irondale bands or Eden Prairie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
Robbinsdale schools have a reputation for being strong in music.

Here's a link to their webpage about it

Robbinsdale School District - District: The Arts

Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
Robbinsdale schools have a reputation for being strong in music.

Here's a link to their webpage about it

Robbinsdale School District - District: The Arts
But they don't have a marching band that competes in the field show circuit and most of their "awards" are things all schools with band programs do-like performing at Orchestra Hall. The trips they have taken are not as prestigious as they sound. Our school does those trips to the same places, as do most bands in the area. They are trips arranged through a local travel agency with connections to perform at places around the world. They are amazing trips, our son went to China one year and had a blast, but just see them for what they are. I would not rank Robbinsdale schools up there with the best bands in the state.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Except that Wayzata doesn't have a marching band, at least one that competes in the field show circuit. I didn't know that they worked in Plymouth, no, I would not want that commute either. Most schools in MN have very strong music programs. I disagree with you on that one. Size of the school isn't always indicative of the size of the band program. Our band program is double the size you find at Minnetonka, for example, and Minnetonka school is double the size of our school. They also have a terrible band program and a really not so good marching band. Wayzata doesn't have much of a reputation for their band program overall either. It's a much more sports focused school. The biggest marching band in MN is Marshall's band, high school has 700 kids 9-12 and 200 of those kids are in their marching band.

For band programs with strong marching bands closer to Plymouth I would look into the New Brighton/Mounds View area and the Irondale bands or Eden Prairie.
There are always statistical outliers. So it goes without saying we can find a big school that will have a lousy program if you look for it. But bigger schools on average have bigger band programs. Bigger band programs on average will have a large group of talented musicians. Heck, my Dad went to Ely High and played professional french horn (2nd chair) for the MPLS Symphony Orchestra before it was renamed to Minnesota Symphony Orchestra.

Rosemount probably has a cluster of parents and students that are passionate about music. But most families want a really good program and call it a day. Nearly all larger MN schools qualify. I was assuming that Pc324 falls in that camp.

I mentioned to target a big school because many schools don't have the same size band programs as they did in the 80's. I watched my daughter 4 years ago and the size of the band is about 1/2 of what it was.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times
not to change the subject. but how much of a factor was minnesota's education system in your decision to move here or to not leave minnesota period

Old 09-17-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
There are always statistical outliers. So it goes without saying we can find a big school that will have a lousy program if you look for it. But bigger schools on average have bigger band programs. Bigger band programs on average will have a large group of talented musicians. Heck, my Dad went to Ely High and played professional french horn (2nd chair) for the MPLS Symphony Orchestra before it was renamed to Minnesota Symphony Orchestra.

Rosemount probably has a cluster of parents and students that are passionate about music. But most families want a really good program and call it a day. Nearly all larger MN schools qualify. I was assuming that Pc324 falls in that camp.

I mentioned to target a big school because many schools don't have the same size band programs as they did in the 80's. I watched my daughter 4 years ago and the size of the band is about 1/2 of what it was.
Again, I disagree, Wayzata has 3 concert bands, that is it. For a school with 4000+ students, that is not a big band program at all. Compare that to Irondale, who's entire high school is about same size as one grade at Wayzata and they have 3 concert bands--so, which school really has a "big" band program. Even Eden Prairie's band program (so the 2 largest high schools in the state) only has 3 concert bands. Compared that to Rosemount, half the size of both of those schools with 6 concert bands, Eastview (1/2 the size of the "big" schools) with 4 concert bands, Lakeville South 3 concert bands,

Yes, many band programs have been cut due to budget cuts, however, there are still a lot of great band programs around. For someone that is specifically asking for a competitive band program, "good" probably isn't enough.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Again, I disagree, Wayzata has 3 concert bands, that is it. For a school with 4000+ students, that is not a big band program at all. Compare that to Irondale, who's entire high school is about same size as one grade at Wayzata and they have 3 concert bands--so, which school really has a "big" band program. Even Eden Prairie's band program (so the 2 largest high schools in the state) only has 3 concert bands. Compared that to Rosemount, half the size of both of those schools with 6 concert bands, Eastview (1/2 the size of the "big" schools) with 4 concert bands, Lakeville South 3 concert bands,

Yes, many band programs have been cut due to budget cuts, however, there are still a lot of great band programs around. For someone that is specifically asking for a competitive band program, "good" probably isn't enough.

You mentioned some big schools that have a few concert bands and medium sized schools might have up to 5 concert bands. Got it. But on average, medium schools will have less bands and small schools will have even smaller programs. Plot it up. Bigger schools will have bigger band programs. We are talking about averages. You are correct that some schools don't have a competitive band program. If that is important to her, then going to Wayzata is out.

IMHO, 3 concert bands qualifies as a decent sized program for just about everyone who is currently in a high school band here in MN. But of course, I would not want to sit though listening to the lower quality band.

Like I said, I fully predict that Rosemount has some rather passionate families with regard to band because I bet people move specifically to live in Rosemount to get into that band program. I also bet most south metro band students are satisfied with the quality.

The question came from an out-of-stater. So they may be DELIGHTED with the Minnetonka band program that you think is subpar. Her current state might simply fall short of her current expectations.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You mentioned some big schools that have a few concert bands and medium sized schools might have up to 5 concert bands. Got it. But on average, medium schools will have less bands and small schools will have even smaller programs. Plot it up. Bigger schools will have bigger band programs. We are talking about averages. You are correct that some schools don't have a competitive band program. If that is important to her, then going to Wayzata is out.

IMHO, 3 concert bands qualifies as a decent sized program for just about everyone who is currently in a high school band here in MN. But of course, I would not want to sit though listening to the lower quality band.

Like I said, I fully predict that Rosemount has some rather passionate families with regard to band because I bet people move specifically to live in Rosemount to get into that band program. I also bet most south metro band students are satisfied with the quality.

The question came from an out-of-stater. So they may be DELIGHTED with the Minnetonka band program that you think is subpar. Her current state might simply fall short of her current expectations.
Go listen to the Minnetonka band at any competition this fall---it's not me "thinking" they are subpar . 3 concert bands for 4000 students is not a good size band program-one freshman band, one sophomore band and one band for juniors and seniors--really, "big"???

Old 09-17-2012, 12:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
Question: If I started a thread where we discussed the correlation of sidewalks to band quality, and how it influenced the resulting WalkScore of a neighborhood with 'character', would city-data/MSP just completely implode?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Question: If I started a thread where we discussed the correlation of sidewalks to band quality, and how it influenced the resulting WalkScore of a neighborhood with 'character', would city-data/MSP just completely implode?
I expect walk scores to correlate with side walks but not band quality. So no, your started thread won't implode. Tweak the content to include MPLS versus the burbs and THEN it C-D would implode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul