Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:13 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Go listen to the Minnetonka band at any competition this fall---
"Top Ratings for Minnetonka High School Marching Band

Minnetonka High School's Marching Band has received awards from their performances at two marching band festivals.The Minnetonka High School Marching Band received two caption awards at the Prairie Colors Competition on September 8. One award was for Outstanding Wind Section and the other award was for Outstanding Drumline. Minnetonka came in second place at the Prairie Colors Competition in their Division.

The band placed first in their division at the Eastview Marching competition later that evening.
"

From http://www.minnetonka.k12.mn.us/news...s/default.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
"Top Ratings for Minnetonka High School Marching Band

Minnetonka High School's Marching Band has received awards from their performances at two marching band festivals.The Minnetonka High School Marching Band received two caption awards at the Prairie Colors Competition on September 8. One award was for Outstanding Wind Section and the other award was for Outstanding Drumline. Minnetonka came in second place at the Prairie Colors Competition in their Division.

The band placed first in their division at the Eastview Marching competition later that evening.
"

From http://www.minnetonka.k12.mn.us/news...s/default.aspx
And out of the 16 bands that were there, they took 14th overall. They "won" their division of 2 bands, the second band being ROCORI, school population of 150 kids. Again, you can make it look great on paper but I was there, I've been listening to this band for 8 years..... Ask anyone in the know about high school bands and Minnetonka is not a top band program.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
And out of the 16 bands that were there, they took 14th overall. They "won" their division of 2 bands, the second band being ROCORI, school population of 150 kids. Again, you can make it look great on paper but I was there, I've been listening to this band for 8 years..... Ask anyone in the know about high school bands and Minnetonka is not a top band program.
I've heard my unfair-share of bad bands. It seems everyone is a winner in band competitions.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I've heard my unfair-share of bad bands. It seems everyone is a winner in band competitions.
No, not everyone is a winner but they do put bands in different classes. Some competitions base the groupings on band size, others on school size. Minnetonka should be competing in the AAAA category at most competitions but the powers that be know there is no comparison and they compete at the A level. In competitions that are often decided by .01 points, Minnetonka is scoring between 45 and 50 points while the top bands like Rosemount, Eastview and Eden Prairie are scoring in the 80-90 point range. It isn't even close. Andover band usually scores between 55-60 for comparison--but the still have the second nicest uniforms (Marshall got new ones this year and they are VERY nice so they took over the nicest uniform category). No one really recognizes Minnetonka as a "winner" of the competitions but more like the highest scoring band in their class. In comparison, when these bands go to regional/national competitions, Irondale and Rosemount are the only bands from MN to place top 10 with Rosemount placing between 3rd and 6th usually and Irondale placing 7th-10th usually. The top 2 bands they see are consistent national champion bands. Every once in a while Eden Prairie might make finals, Marshall has made finals once, no other band from the area has ever made finals. Google "Broken Arrow" marching band from Broken Arrow, OK or Avon band from Avon, IN and watch their marching shows. Those bands are in a class all their own. I especially like the Broken Arrow show "Aqua", with which they won the National Championship. The also won last year but I did not like that show at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul