Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:10 PM

10 posts, read 13,257 times

Advertisements

So what I want to know is - What is used to compare the schools?

How do those from MN choose schools? Is there a state measure like a set of state exams used to compare? Is there some index of programs provided to compare and contrast? At this point I am completely confused!

It appears to me from reading other posts that there are a variety of things found in MN schools that are not in existance in my current state. I am used to academic scores being compared almost exclusivly - both schools individually and each district individually.

Please help me understand! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5coconuts View Post
So what I want to know is - What is used to compare the schools?

How do those from MN choose schools? Is there a state measure like a set of state exams used to compare? Is there some index of programs provided to compare and contrast? At this point I am completely confused!

It appears to me from reading other posts that there are a variety of things found in MN schools that are not in existance in my current state. I am used to academic scores being compared almost exclusivly - both schools individually and each district individually.

Please help me understand! Thank you so much!
It generally isn't an issue in the Twin Cities. Edina, Minnetonka, Wayzata, Eden Prairie, St. Louis Park, Bloomington Jefferson, Lakeville. Who cares? Look at the special programs you might have an interest in, find a good neighborhood, and move in. This isn't Atlanta (where I live now and which is very different) ... you don't have schools which blow away their neighbors or which are underperforming. Not really.

Besides, Minnesota has open enrollment statewide, which means if you want to go somewhere else, the possibility is there.

There are some real advantages to being a state that values education.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
In MN specifically, most of the districts are really very, very good so a lot of people pick schools based on the programs offered. We picked our school because of the outstanding band program, especially the marching band. There are people that move to Apple Valley from all over the country to wrestle at that high school. If you are a DI football candidate, you want to go to Eden Prairie.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:17 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
It's not that different than other states. There are test scores, and then there are a million other factors to consider. Also remember that in some schools there are "schools within a school," for example (or different magnets sharing the same space). It's been that way for every state I've lived in -- test scores only show part of the story. There's all sorts of other factors like classroom size, size of school, type of school (is it "traditional", "progressive," Montessori, an immersion program, etc. etc.), languages offered, grades in the school, classroom type (mixed grades? all one grade? etc. etc.), potentially "extras" like sports, etc., AP versus IB (at high school level), and so forth. I use the Greatschool scores as a decent starting point, and go from there. There is probably a difference between a school with a score of a 2 or 3 versus a 9 or 10, but I certainly wouldn't waste time worrying about the difference between an 8, 9, 10, or so on. Or, for that matter, even a school with a lower number (our chosen school is only a 6, yet if you look at the breakdown of scores it becomes clear that test scores don't accurately show the full story). Use the test scores as a starting point and work from there. If you're considering a relocation, I'd first figure out your budget, your job location, your preference of neighborhood type, and then work from there. Most schools are good to excellent, so I'd put identifying schools lower on the list. Figure out the other stuff first, and then work on finding the right school that is in the right area to meet all your other requirements.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
A combo of the last two points (golfgal and uptown) is spot on.

What state are you coming from?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 PM

10 posts, read 13,257 times
Default Even more confused....

Humm. It's been our relocation experience to find out which are the very best schools and then factor in commute and price range. Generally with the compromise coming in either or both of the latter two in favor of the best possible schools - when possible. But it has also always been as another poster stated where there are "schools which blow away their neighbors or which are underperforming."

It sounds as though you have a very different education structure there - so I really need to understand. I am used to residential areas largly being defined - and often priced - based on school value.

Again - I really appreciate everyones input.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:46 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,588 times
The better, or perhaps elite is a better word, districts do have higher property costs however, in Minnesota, you can choose to send your child to any district you want following a state mandated procedure - assuming they have room - so you're not as locked in to your address as you are in some areas. Some of the better districts are hard to get into but it's possible. There's also integrated districts that allow of easier transportation from district to district.

There are often options. There's charter schools that serve as their own district, there's magnet schools which is a specialized school such as STEM or language immersion, that draws kids from the entire district, there's neighborhood schools and of course private schools. With open enrollment though a neighborhood school can have kids from all over. My child's school has over 40% of the student body from a different district.

There's a lot of reasons people make the choices they do. Size of the school/district, athletic programs, special academic programs and so on. Sometimes it's more practical such as being close to work.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:36 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Humm. It's been our relocation experience to find out which are the very best schools and then factor in commute and price range. Generally with the compromise coming in either or both of the latter two in favor of the best possible schools - when possible. But it has also always been as another poster stated where there are "schools which blow away their neighbors or which are underperforming."

It sounds as though you have a very different education structure there - so I really need to understand. I am used to residential areas largly being defined - and often priced - based on school value.

Sounds like you live down here ... school feeder patterns in the Atlanta metro can have a huge impact on a home's value, which is something I found a bit disturbing when I moved down here.

Of course I'm used to a MN-style system which has a large number of small independent school districts with one or two high schools at most in each (except for city districts like Minneapolis), whereas it seems like the better schools in GA simply follow the money in many cases. More involved parents, also, I suspect. The Twin Cities is not as variable.

This link might help you understand some of the programs in Minnesota, including the Open Enrollment program:

http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/Jus...ice/index.html

Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:

Like I said, most districts here are outstanding. You are comparing schools on whatever scale out of 100 that score 99.9, 99.7, 99.8, etc. With the exception of a handful of districts across the metro they are all great choices. It's a nice problem to have. I don't know that there is any one district that is arguably "the best".

You will still find higher property values in the dozen or so districts that are at the top of most people's lists but again, you are talking about the 99.9 schools compared to the 99.7 schools.

I don't know that the "structure" is the same vs education is VERY important in MN. The adult population is highly educated and that is passed down to the kids in school. There is a reason we lead the nation in ACT/SAT scores.

It really does come down to which activities your kids are involved in and your commute. Depending on where you are working there will be a list of 5 or 6 school districts within 10-15 miles of your job that will be top notch schools.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I would amend Golfgal's statement to add that personally I would not waste too much time worrying about "district" and focus instead on specific schools, as while there are some districts where all the schools are decent, there are some districts with both top-notch schools as well as some schools that are struggling (or, for that matter, some schools that you simply find to be a better fit than other). Around here things really come down to the micro-level, and for the most part looking at district itself isn't useful, at least when looking at the larger districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul