Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:38 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,015 times

Advertisements

Here's a question....since many think this ranking is wrong & Mpls SW can't be ranked that high again, can we also assume Edina, Mahtomedi, SLP, Eastview, Minnetonka, et al are also erroneously listed, or is it just the city schools on the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 02:07 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
The "top" 10 schools in Texas all have participation rates above 90%. Southwest is 73%.
So what you're saying, is that we should apply this measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
So, looking at the number of students who take such exams is probably telling you a lot more about the standard at that school than it is telling you about the academic abilities of the students.
leading the the conclusion that Southwest has higher standards than these top ten Texas schools.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Here's a question....since many think this ranking is wrong & Mpls SW can't be ranked that high again, can we also assume Edina, Mahtomedi, SLP, Eastview, Minnetonka, et al are also erroneously listed, or is it just the city schools on the list?
Edina and Minnetonka are almost always at or near the top of any school ranking list generated for the state of Minnesota. Their presence on this list is not an anomaly.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:43 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Edina and Minnetonka are almost always at or near the top of any school ranking list generated for the state of Minnesota. Their presence on this list is not an anomaly.
I will accept your suggestion that the presence of Edina and Minnetonka are not an anomaly. Can you clarify your post somewhat for me? Do you think that the presence of Southwest on this particular list is an anomaly and, if so, why is that the case? You seem to suggest that Edina and Minnetonka are on more lists than Southwest. Is that your point? If so, could you specify what lists include these two schools but not Southwest. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The issue is the small sample size used from SW compared to the other schools on the list. I am sure those few kids are that good, but that doesn't mean ALL of SW is a good school--or more accurately, has good students in the school. I am sure the teachers are just fine. You are comparing 50 kids at one high school to 400+ at another. I'm sure that if you took the top 50 kids at any other high school on that list, especially Edina, Minnetonka, Mahtomedi, etc., their results would be higher than SW. It's just not comparing apples to apples.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
True. Both schools have an excellent reputation, and are often cited as "top" local schools. The same can be said of Southwest, however.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:32 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The issue is the small sample size used from SW compared to the other schools on the list. I am sure those few kids are that good, but that doesn't mean ALL of SW is a good school--or more accurately, has good students in the school. I am sure the teachers are just fine. You are comparing 50 kids at one high school to 400+ at another. I'm sure that if you took the top 50 kids at any other high school on that list, especially Edina, Minnetonka, Mahtomedi, etc., their results would be higher than SW. It's just not comparing apples to apples.
But... as has been stated many, many times, they are NOT comparing 50 kids! The school is large! There are far, far more than 50 seniors! Where are you getting your numbers?! Why are you so determined to believe that the study is, for some reason, cherry-picking a few students from Southwest? I think (although haven't checked numbers) that Edina and SW have about the same student body, don't they? In any case, SW is not some tiny high school. There are far more than 50 seniors, or 50 students taking IB/AP tests. I don't think someone can say that one school on this list is "better" across-the-board than any other school on this list (I'm sure each have their individual strengths and weaknesses, and a good personal match for students is important, too), but it's simply inaccurate to suggest that they tallied the information differently for Southwest versus all the other schools on the list. (Southwest has 384 seniors, not 50. Edina had 609, Mahtomedi had 273.)

And why are you so sure that the top 50 kids at the other schools would be "better" than at Southwest? They're coming from the same pool of students: privileged students from highly educated families who value school. They get the same National Merit finalist scholarships, apply (and attend) the same "top" colleges, and go on to the same types of highly prestigious careers. What rationale could one give for why the top Southwest students would be any different? You can't even use geography as a difference -- the kids at Southwest and Edina, for example, could literally live on the same block (and plenty of Edina students live closer to Southwest than they do to Edina H.S.; Southwest is literally just blocks from the Edina/Mpls border.). There's nothing magical that happens when you cross France.

A link to the list methodology:
http://www.usnews.com/education/high...ls-methodology

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 05-12-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I will accept your suggestion that the presence of Edina and Minnetonka are not an anomaly. Can you clarify your post somewhat for me? Do you think that the presence of Southwest on this particular list is an anomaly and, if so, why is that the case? You seem to suggest that Edina and Minnetonka are on more lists than Southwest. Is that your point? If so, could you specify what lists include these two schools but not Southwest. Thanks.
I grew up and spent my first forty years of life in the southwestern suburbs, and Edina and Minnetonka were both rivals of the district in which I went to school (Hopkins), so I have a tendency to remember those schools when I see them in lists. I know people who have gone to both of those schools in the past, and they've always been quality districts as far as I remember.

However, I've had very little interest in Minneapolis schools (or any urban schools) until very recently ... I now have a nephew at Washburn. Because of this, I'm not sure I would have remembered Southwest being in other lists even if it was, and I have no idea if that school has also been in various lists on a consistent basis or not.

I have no specific opinion about Southwest, since I know very little about it.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
True. Both schools have an excellent reputation, and are often cited as "top" local schools. The same can be said of Southwest, however.
That is quite possible. Since it isn't a SW suburban school, I haven't had much interest in it over the years, and I speak only about those schools I've been somewhat familiar with.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
But... as has been stated many, many times, they are NOT comparing 50 kids! The school is large! There are far, far more than 50 seniors! Where are you getting your numbers?! Why are you so determined to believe that the study is, for some reason, cherry-picking a few students from Southwest? I think (although haven't checked numbers) that Edina and SW have about the same student body, don't they? In any case, SW is not some tiny high school. There are far more than 50 seniors, or 50 students taking IB/AP tests. I don't think someone can say that one school on this list is "better" across-the-board than any other school on this list (I'm sure each have their individual strengths and weaknesses, and a good personal match for students is important, too), but it's simply inaccurate to suggest that they tallied the information differently for Southwest versus all the other schools on the list. (Southwest has 384 seniors, not 50. Edina had 609, Mahtomedi had 273.)

And why are you so sure that the top 50 kids at the other schools would be "better" than at Southwest? They're coming from the same pool of students: privileged students from highly educated families who value school. They get the same National Merit finalist scholarships, apply (and attend) the same "top" colleges, and go on to the same types of highly prestigious careers. What rationale could one give for why the top Southwest students would be any different? You can't even use geography as a difference -- the kids at Southwest and Edina, for example, could literally live on the same block (and plenty of Edina students live closer to Southwest than they do to Edina H.S.; Southwest is literally just blocks from the Edina/Mpls border.). There's nothing magical that happens when you cross France.

A link to the list methodology:
Best High Schools Methodology - US News and World Report
You went to SW, you do the math--the numbers are all there for you--the link posted earlier said there were 250 juniors and seniors in the IB program at SW. The USNWR said they only look at SENIORS, so say 125 kids to start with, look at the percent of kids taking the IB tests according to USNWR and then the passing rate and you get 51 kids......there were 30 kids in our kids room alone taking ONE AP test on Friday, one room out of 10--you do the math....

There is plenty that happens in Edina that doesn't happen at SW, namly, families that care if their kids get an education---with 100% graduation rate and 99% of their kids going on to 4 year colleges, you are comparing apples to turnips....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul