Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyjerky View Post
There's no way a city this size should have traffic as bad as it does. It boggles the mind and is a continual frustration.
We have bad traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
I guess I am fortunate that my first big city driving experiences were in New York and Chicago. Traffic here has never bothered me.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:50 AM

927 posts, read 2,467,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyjerky View Post
My issue with the traffic here is that it simply does not need to be as bad as it is. The lights downtown are ill-timed so that you hit every single one (even late at night when you're one of like 4 cars on the streets), people drive too slow and clog single lanes on major surface streets like hennepin or lake, and the traffic suddenly stops for no reason whatsoever on highways (see: the curve on 94 just west of the river; I cannot understand why traffic comes to a sudden stop, before starting up again, everyday during rush hour).

There's no way a city this size should have traffic as bad as it does. It boggles the mind and is a continual frustration.

I mean, how about the lights on hiawatha, where you get random times when the green light is just skipped--how the f!ck does that happen?

I couldn't agree with this post more!

Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 PM

285 posts, read 850,457 times
Here in Boise, it is the same way. There can sometimes be a lot of cars on one road at one time, but the traffic at times rivals much, much larger cities (not for as long or as widespread, obviously)

It seems as though it is mostly related to poor light timing. We can be backed up a mile and the lights sometimes only let 3 - 4 cars go and then a 5 minute wait until the next green. It is absolutely unbelievable. It's a situation that can be alleviated, but nothing is being done.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:57 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
Often times the traffic flows well even at the height of rush hour.. I recently spent time in milwaukee for a month and are traffic is only slightly worse then theirs although we are larger. Even if you hit a slow spot it usually does not last long. Do people exaggerate are traffic here? It seems that for are population, traffic moves really well..
I chalk it up to the whole "people from MPLS want to think they live in a big city" mindset.

Traffic in the Twin Cities is nothing compared to a city like Chicago. The only traffic issue I have in the TC is that people are just bad drivers. They're slow to respond, they go 10 miles under the limit in the far left passing lane, and they let everyone and their brother cut in ahead of them thinking "hey, I'm a nice person helping these people move in" yet they forget about the 10 other cars behind them that they're screwing over.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
I chalk it up to the whole "people from MPLS want to think they live in a big city" mindset.

Traffic in the Twin Cities is nothing compared to a city like Chicago. The only traffic issue I have in the TC is that people are just bad drivers. They're slow to respond, they go 10 miles under the limit in the far left passing lane, and they let everyone and their brother cut in ahead of them thinking "hey, I'm a nice person helping these people move in" yet they forget about the 10 other cars behind them that they're screwing over.
I agree that this is the #1 reason for traffic jams in the MSP area. If the lane in front of you is clear and there are 40 cars stacked up behind you, MOVE OVER!!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I agree that this is the #1 reason for traffic jams in the MSP area. If the lane in front of you is clear and there are 40 cars stacked up behind you, MOVE OVER!!
Haha, it's as if the rear view mirror doesn't exist for some people!

Also, something I noticed is if I passed someone on the right I'd get a mean look or even been flipped the bird....How am I doing anything wrong? YOU are the one clogging up the passing lane! LOL

Old 05-18-2012, 11:40 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:

Also, something I noticed is if I passed someone on the right I'd get a mean look or even been flipped the bird....How am I doing anything wrong? YOU are the one clogging up the passing lane! LOL
how do you know they're giving you a mean look?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:47 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:

YES! But that happens everywhere, I'm afraid.....there are some people out there who literally think they can control your actions, and these are the people who get the most frustrated when you pass them on the right (despite their best efforts to keep you behind them)!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
how do you know they're giving you a mean look?
By using his eyes, I'm thinking....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul