Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:07 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine met her husband, an assistant district attorney through her leisure interests. Turns out they were his, too, so they were out having group fun together and somehow got closer. I think being actively interested in something besides dating makes it a lot less urgent. I met my wife through English Country Dancing. I had sworn off dating. So we didn't really have a dating routine. But we saw a lot of each other, and eventually it worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
While we're on the subject, what do you like most about it?
Answer to the first question--The liberal wanna be mentality. They just cannot accept the fact that they are still a cowtown with some imported culture. St Paul is much more down to Earth.

Second--the older architecture and the lakes.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:52 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
Really hard to say what is most likable.. Frankly, I wish we had the laid back attitude like Portland does. Why compete with anyone? It really attracts the worst kind of people and degrades the quality of the city. There are plenty of brains here, and if they don't have to argue with idiots who live and die by status seeking, life can be quite pleasant. In fact, that was why I stayed way back. I thought reason, not worry about status, dominated decisions. But the restive element got more and more power, and the quality of life deteriorated to match their rise. Outsiders who want to pick your pockets home in on any evidence that you care about the opinion of the outside world.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
I hate haters, generally (which clearly makes me a hypocrite, but whatever), and I really hate it when people tell me how much they hate where they live -- especially if that place is Minneapolis, a place I love.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Answer to the first question--The liberal wanna be mentality. They just cannot accept the fact that they are still a cowtown with some imported culture. St Paul is much more down to Earth.

Second--the older architecture and the lakes.
Are you the New Yorker? I'm trying to figure out what is "cowtown" about Minneapolis unless perhaps the POV is from NY, LA or Chicago (i.e. narrow-minded). I agree, it's not a bustling metropolis, but then again I don't know many people who compare Minneapolis to those cities, at least not in terms of hustle and bustle. If anything, people generally hail Minneapolis as a good family city, which generally means the opposite of cosmo/chic/metropolis. Anything about Minneapolis that envokes this sense of "wannabe" mentality is probably more perception than reality, especially the more you get to know people who live here who want anything but change and progression and would prefer to have Minneapolis kept in its historical form.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
This isn't so much "hate about Minneapolis" as "hate when warm weather comes". Trash is not only in the streets in large amounts as people cruise more, it is more visible. Makes the city look like a trailer park. And people decide they not only must play their pop music in their cars, they have to crank it to the max, and open the car windows. Noise pollution!! Cities are noisy to start with. Its just insult on top of injury. I suppose if I lived somewhere south of this metro, it'd be yearlong. Like frosting with bits of dirt in it. Sweet except when you are spitting out the dirt!
PullMyFinger, here is a classic example of what I was just talking about!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
I hate WCCO's bufoon Mike Max. All of the rest of the worst about this town isn't worth acknowledging especially since I don't live there. But Mike Max keeps sticking his ugly mug into my living room.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
It's the same thing I hate most in just about any city:the dating scene. Guys are either too gay or way too gay. Do you have to fake a lisp, like ****ty music, and be as annoying as a ditzy college girl? Because if I wanted that, I'd date a ditzy college girl. Everything else is great (save the windy -20 days): the lakes, cycling, cool neighborhoods, people, stuff to do in said neighborhoods, transit, late night happy hours, etc. It's everything you'd want in a city, just surprisingly compact and consistent across the board. And then as a bonus there's St Paul.
Not a chip on your shoulder, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever
Really hard to say what is most likable.. Frankly, I wish we had the laid back attitude like Portland does. Why compete with anyone? It really attracts the worst kind of people and degrades the quality of the city. There are plenty of brains here, and if they don't have to argue with idiots who live and die by status seeking, life can be quite pleasant. In fact, that was why I stayed way back. I thought reason, not worry about status, dominated decisions. But the restive element got more and more power, and the quality of life deteriorated to match their rise. Outsiders who want to pick your pockets home in on any evidence that you care about the opinion of the outside world.
Portland is faux laid back. They're as pretentious as any other city. See: Portlandia.

We know, you lived here a long time ago when Minneapolis was more "real", the women were strong, the men were good-looking, and all the children above average. We're sorry you don't see it that way anymore.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 PM

573 posts, read 1,050,763 times
Without transit plans, Twin Cities is not competitive | StarTribune.com why it takes Minnesotans years and years to do all these studies for transit when much smaller metros get things done much faster. Building a bus rapid transit down cedar ave that ends at the moa is so stupid IMO. And another bus rapid transit on 35w to downtown minneapolis. Just build a train down the middle of the freeway or right next to the free with parking ramps next to the stations along the line. Trains are faster and more attractive than some bus and are more reliable then the bus. If people are stuck in traffic and they see the train speeding pass them to downtown they will catch on quick. The Northstar should have been built next to 94 or down the center of it. Minnesota finds the cheapest way to do many of these projects and in the end thats why they fail. I can't wait to see how the traffic is for the busy streets crossing university ave when the green line is done. The green line should have been elevated.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
Without transit plans, Twin Cities is not competitive | StarTribune.com why it takes Minnesotans years and years to do all these studies for transit when much smaller metros get things done much faster. Building a bus rapid transit down cedar ave that ends at the moa is so stupid IMO. And another bus rapid transit on 35w to downtown minneapolis. Just build a train down the middle of the freeway or right next to the free with parking ramps next to the stations along the line. Trains are faster and more attractive than some bus and are more reliable then the bus. If people are stuck in traffic and they see the train speeding pass them to downtown they will catch on quick. The Northstar should have been built next to 94 or down the center of it. Minnesota finds the cheapest way to do many of these projects and in the end thats why they fail. I can't wait to see how the traffic is for the busy streets crossing university ave when the green line is done. The green line should have been elevated.
It's true that we're slow at getting projects moving. I blame at least part of that on our piecemeal funding strategy and metro/non-metro divisions.

As for a train down the middle...it's just a bad idea. A line like that would cost billions for what would amount to a commuter line (CBD connected to essentially quiet 'burbs). At this point, BRT is a much better option. If it exceeds expectations, I think we could look at a train. But why, in the relatively transit-wary suburbs, should we do more than what the Red Line provides? It has dedicated lane, frequent service, and large stations (with parking).

I'd much rather see core service being bolstered for transit-dependent and transit-friendly areas (read: dense, walkable) before building a light rail all the way out to Apple Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul