Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 AM

776 posts, read 1,065,691 times

Advertisements

As I spend this year deciding on moving back to MN or trying some place new all together, I can't help but to fear giving in and having that "running back" feeling. I do love MN - everything about it actually except winters.
I have all of our family and friends back home, I love the culture (especially after spending the better part of 10 years on the east coast) I just love it all.
The two things I dislike are the scenery and climate. But not sure if that should keep me from considering moving back to be close to all my friends and family and letting my sons see what it's like to grow up arounds cousins and grandparents and aunts/uncles.

So I ask, for those of you that are leaving Mn or have left.... Besides cold weather or a job relocation, What made you fed up enough to pack it up and go?

I'm just curious if it is worth it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 06:35 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,532,149 times
Family and love is what one remembers and holds dearest at the end of ones life.
Not the weather.

If that helps you put it in perspective.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:43 AM

340 posts, read 666,152 times
I moved west, seeking more sun, warmer temperatures, fewer clouds, fewer bugs and lower taxes/costs of living. I didn't read that other current thread titled "What do you hate most about Minneapolis" but am guessing that it thoroughly covers most of the reasons people have for moving.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,468,864 times
I think you're over estimating how much your kids will want to hang out with their relatives, and vice versa.

To answer your question, I don't particularly like the culture here and I find the whole area quite boring. Every day feels like the movie Groundhog's Day to me, and I'm pretty sure if I stayed here it would be like that until I die. However, it is a very easy lifestyle compared to more interesting and dynamic places. That is a positive and a negative. It's low stress but then there is a lot of inertia to overcome when trying to leave. I've been trying to leave for 18 months now, but do I really want to have to work hard again? etc.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,939,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
The two things I dislike are the scenery and climate.
What scenery do you dislike? What part of Minnesota are you referring to? If it is western MN I understand, but the eastern part I find very appealing. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:27 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,939,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Family and love is what one remembers and holds dearest at the end of ones life.
Not the weather.

If that helps you put it in perspective.
I so much agree with this. I am in the process of moving within the state of Minnesota by 220 miles so I can be closer to my family, mainly my grandchildren.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:05 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,131,722 times
have been actively searching and visiting potential retirement locations and the more we look, the better it looks to stay put right where we are in east-central MN.

as much as I like the mountain west, the long-term water shortage problems are going to negatively impact life in a big way. also, with the goal of living outside city limits, the loss of trees and the alarming increase of wild fires seems to be a hassle we're not willing to put up with.

the desert SW has appealed to me, but not so much to Mrs G...she needs green vistas to be happy

California is the tops, but cost-of-living and over-population makes it undesireable to live in, thought about the Sacramento area but have the same concerns there as the mountain west

need my sun shine more than mild temps so the Pacific NW is right out

have lived in Florida and while the COL isn't bad, I found it an opressingly boring place to live

population centers that define the NorthEast have no appeal to us

would maybe consider the swath between Missouri/Arkansas thru the Carolinas and will check that area out more in the coming years

too many rednecks in the deep south for my liking

could see a move to Nebraska or South Dakota...maybe

Old 03-23-2015, 11:42 AM

776 posts, read 1,065,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I think you're over estimating how much your kids will want to hang out with their relatives, and vice versa.

To answer your question, I don't particularly like the culture here and I find the whole area quite boring. Every day feels like the movie Groundhog's Day to me, and I'm pretty sure if I stayed here it would be like that until I die. However, it is a very easy lifestyle compared to more interesting and dynamic places. That is a positive and a negative. It's low stress but then there is a lot of inertia to overcome when trying to leave. I've been trying to leave for 18 months now, but do I really want to have to work hard again? etc.
And this is exactly how I felt when I left 10 years ago. I led such a mundane life, and to be quite honest, a lazy life. When I left Minnesota I took up new work, new activities, learned new skills, got more education, lost 70+ pounds, etc... My whole life changed for the better.... Except I left all my family and friends and have grown increasingly lonely each year. I am married and have two wonderful sons, so I'm not alone, just home sick mainly. I know what we would have to give up to return and we have weighed all that out.

This thread was really just a brain picking inquiry more than a debate, so in no way am I bashing parts of peoples ideas or comments, nor trying to debate that I'm fit and anyone else is wrong. I'm just curious if my reasons for leaving are the same as others and the same feelings ill have agates the nostalgia of family and friends wears off and the real life settles back in. We have other options, but have also tried other places too and found the same result. In the end, every place seems the same.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,123,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
So I ask, for those of you that are leaving Mn or have left.... Besides cold weather or a job relocation, What made you fed up enough to pack it up and go?

I'm just curious if it is worth it
I've been in Atlanta for 10 years now, and I want to move back to the Twin Cities, but there are multiple things keeping me here at the moment. I love my house and my job here, and I have a lot of good friends here. I just can't stand the political climate in Georgia.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:18 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,888,359 times
I don't have much to add to this discussion, but I cannot disagree strongly enough with the following sentiment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I grew up without much family nearby--pretty much just one grandparent--and it was a sad and isolating experience. While my friends spent weekends visiting aunts and uncles, playing with cousins, helping grandma in the kitchen, etc. etc. etc., I was left out in the cold. Thanksgiving dinner? Just my parents and my sister. Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, Easter, Fourth of July...just us. It would have meant a great deal to me to have the familial relationships and associated sense of belonging that I saw among my friends.

I don't know if moving back here would be the correct move for you or not, OP. But don't underestimate how much it is likely to mean to your kids and your other relatives if you do wind up making that choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul