Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:06 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Well, that makes two of us who are sorry. I'm sorry I don't think Minneapolis is liberal. Like I said, compared to surrounding towns...suuuure. The US as a whole? LOL
My guess is that either you moved here from Santa Cruz or you are one of those Minnesotans who downplay everything about Minnesota.

I grew up out east and have been to most places in the US. In my experience Minneapolis is one of the more liberal places in the country. Have you ever been to Indianapolis, Tampa, Cleveland, Kansas City, etc? Those places represent the political center of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 02:30 PM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
Too bad OP missed the great cultural heritage in Mississippi. I know it's trendy to look down upon the south with a sense of intellectual superiority but there is GREAT heritage in that state. It would be easy to argue it is far superior culturally to MN (music, food, literature). Check out VisitMississippi for a more objective picture.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Too bad OP missed the great cultural heritage in Mississippi. I know it's trendy to look down upon the south with a sense of intellectual superiority but there is GREAT heritage in that state. It would be easy to argue it is far superior culturally to MN (music, food, literature). Check out VisitMississippi for a more objective picture.
...or not

Old 09-15-2015, 04:00 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
I'm from Chicago, which I wouldn't describe as liberal either, but it is DEFINITELY more liberal than the TCs. "Liberal", to me, denotes an accepting culture...which the TC is not, in a number of ways that matter. People in the TC live in their on convoluted reality, which is fascinating, really, but not indicative of the world most of us inhabit.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:52 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,422 times
Quote:
I'm from Chicago, which I wouldn't describe as liberal either, but it is DEFINITELY more liberal than the TCs. "Liberal", to me, denotes an accepting culture...which the TC is not, in a number of ways that matter. People in the TC live in their on convoluted reality, which is fascinating, really, but not indicative of the world most of us inhabit.
I've spent a LOT of time in Chicago over the years. It's somewhat liberal. Certainly not as liberal at the policy level as the Twin Cities.

Chicago is a more accepting culture? Never heard that one before. Chicago is known for the insular nature of its neighborhoods, suburbs, and widespread geographic segregation of people along ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic lines....

Old 09-15-2015, 06:01 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
When you redefine the term liberal to mean whatever you want it to mean, then you can convince yourself that you are right. It's not cold here in the winter either if cold means bright sunshine at midnight. But if you use a common definition of cold, it's cold here. And using a common understanding of what liberal means in a political sense today, Minneapolis is definitely one of the most liberal places in the country.

If you want to talk about "accepting" -- then set some criteria for what accepting means to you and we can discuss that aspect.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
People in this thread have used the term "insular" to describe the Twin Cities. Insular does not equal "liberal" to me. You guys have more generous social benefits than other states. Wonderful. Still doesn't make you liberal.

Almost every city has segregation. It is not as apparent in the TC because you lack diversity. You don't get brownie points on a technicality.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:36 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Maple Grove is insular, as are the exurbs in general. I wouldn't call Minneapolis proper insular though. My work place has people from at least a half a dozen countries (I'm a chef). In some ways I think the working class portion of Minneapolis society is much more cosmopolitan than the professional classes. The office workers downtown seem more pasty and Lake Woebegonish than the portion of the city I generally interact with.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:40 PM

119 posts, read 144,866 times
Contemporary American politics have damaged our common understanding of the term liberalto the point that it's generally synonymous with democratic or, in some few cases, leftist. This definition works when comparing democratic politicsor lack there ofbut really is only of any use when restrained within in the context of the contemporary American political food fight. In other words, when used outside the realm of partisan enthusiasts, it's an incredibly vague term.

Liberalism ought to also be understood as a commitment to equality and advancement of individual liberty. Liberalism is in fact one of the foundations of western intellectual heritage and it's under attack by both the right and the left (sometimes for good reasons; other times for asinine ones).

I don't really see too much in Minneapolis that distinguishes itself in that sense; while regional college town seem a little closer to this with lesser income inequality and greater embrace of intellectual diversity than most small to mid-size US cities. The phrase, “well that's different!” (as a dismissive slur) will always symbolize Minneapolis more so than any commitment to liberalism, at least in my mind.

Now, I feel compelled to offer the following disclaimer: I like it here fine; it's a nice place; this isn't intended to clip the metro's wings. Not at all, just a take I believe to be well-reasoned and for which I'll hope for liberal indulgence.

So, Minneapolis does indeed lean strongly democratic—as do many cities in Midwest and rust belt and on both coasts. As far as liberal....I don't really see but for as aspect of an unique case of identity politics.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:55 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
Quote:
People in this thread have used the term "insular" to describe the Twin Cities. Insular does not equal "liberal" to me. You guys have more generous social benefits than other states. Wonderful. Still doesn't make you liberal.

Almost every city has segregation. It is not as apparent in the TC because you lack diversity. You don't get brownie points on a technicality.
Now I'm convinced you just don't like generally accepted definitions, rules of argumentation or impartial statistics devoid of personal anecdote. There's simply no other explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul