Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:07 AM

760 posts, read 884,722 times

Advertisements

One big thing about dating here is that people tend to be more serial-monogamous. I also know that "ghosting" is very common...as in someone might show interest, and after a certain amount of time just disappear and cut off communication. A lot of my friends have experienced this with girls, especially in the mid 20s range, as if they were too afraid to speak up about what their intentions are. I understand that is VERY common in mid-20s dating all around the world, but I have heard more stories about it happening here.

The interesting thing about the natives is that they tend to settle down very fast, and most likely with someone in their group of high school/college friends. It just seems like there are more people in relationships here...and that when you met someone who is single and looking, chances are they just got out of one, and are looking to dive right into the next one.

This isn't a bad thing though. If you are looking to find someone to get serious with, this seems to be the place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 07:05 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,396 posts, read 13,435,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
At 26 I'd say you're in the prime range for living in the Twin Cities so long as you're interested in nightlife, quality of life, and are career focused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
If you are looking to find someone to get serious with, this seems to be the place to be.
These 2 things definitely describe me. I'm big on nightlife, but it seems like the Twin Cities has a lot of that...certainly more than other cities of its size. But it sounds like I'll fit right in and live life like it was anywhere else. The responses here have done a lot to clear things up! I'm pretty sure I'll be moving forward with moving to MSP this year.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:32 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,977,495 times
Mpls is a decent mid-sized city. It's by far the best city in the upper Midwest. That can tend to cause people to overrate it IMO, as a large percentage of the transplants come from outstate Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, the Dakotas or Nebraska, and Mpls is a far superior city and has a lot more going on than any of those places. It is the most lively city in the Midwest after Chicago. So take some of the boosting from residents with a grain of salt, as many of them are comparing Mpls to places like Fargo or Omaha.

I lived there for a few years in my mid-late 20's. I thought the dating was at best no better than to be expected for the size of the city. Pro's are there are a reasonable number of dating activities, some decent restaurants etc as would be expected in a metro area of 3 million. The cons are the dating scene tends to skew young as Minnesotans tend to get married a few years younger than on the coasts. I think the dating scene there would probably be best for college kids and early 20's just out of college. Also, while Minneapolis and St Paul are diverse by upper Midwest standards, they're still very white compared to any other medium sized cities in the US, and even more so when you look at the college educated population. That's not to say you can't find college educated women to date who aren't white, but pickings will be slim compared to other cities if that matters to you. I had plenty of fun, met some nice girls, but it was more work than my friends who lived on the East or West coast, confirmed by my moving to LA.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:37 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,915,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
That can tend to cause people to overrate it IMO, as a large percentage of the transplants come from outstate Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, the Dakotas or Nebraska, and Mpls is a far superior city and has a lot more going on than any of those places. It is the most lively city in the Midwest after Chicago. So take some of the boosting from residents with a grain of salt, as many of them are comparing Mpls to places like Fargo or Omaha.
I'd say it's underrated. Outside of say Prince and that the city gets really cold I doubt you'd find your average person knows much about the city.

If you had the ability to uproot the city and place it in various areas of the US based on GDP and amenities it would fair decently (top 5, probably top 3 or higher in most areas). Other than the NE and California.

Other areas that are close usually have some sort of big negative holding them back like a high crime rate.

Quote:
I think the dating scene there would probably be best for college kids and early 20's just out of college.
When I think college kids I think of the ability to eat and especially drink cheaply. The drink specials seemed to be along the $5 for a beer & a shot or $10 buckets. Not to mention The Library Bar that seemed popular with the college crowd has $7 & $8 burgers/sandwiches. Not exactly what I think when I think cheap college eats, but then again it's not super expensive either. Psycho Suzi's is mid-range prices too. Grumpy's was a little bit cheaper, but still. I figured with such a large school Dinky Town would have been more built up as well (but maybe that's just me being used to Columbus & OSU).

It seemed like a place where you can make $30k to $40k and live the good life, which is pretty difficult in most of the areas that would outright sweep the city. I mean just look at the COL. Asheville & St. Paul are basically the same cost and Minneapolis isn't much more.

Not sure how you can compare the Twin Cities to LA at all. It's about 10 times bigger by population (+10 million on the metro) and the COL is about 40% higher.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:10 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,977,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Not sure how you can compare the Twin Cities to LA at all. It's about 10 times bigger by population (+10 million on the metro) and the COL is about 40% higher.
I was using the comparison on dating because the OP used to live in LA and frequently posts in the LA forums, so I thought it would be a good point of reference. My experience was that people that thought it was an 'amazing' city for dating were comparing Mpls to places like Des Moines. My experience was that it is the best city in the Midwest after Chicago, but a tier below the East or West coast.

The college age dating comment was more about the availability of singles than drink prices. The cultural norm of early marriage is very different than in a lot of other parts of the country. Where I came from, not many people who were educated got married before their late 20's. Minnesota is different, I had several friends there who had married their spouses right after graduating college. A lot of them were really happy and were great couples, it's just different than what you see in a lot of the country. As a result, the dating pool dwindles rapidly by mid-late 20's compared to a lot of other cities. It's harder on women than men, but it does create pressure for commitment that might be less of an issue in other cities.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:01 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,720,681 times
Quote:
I was using the comparison on dating because the OP used to live in LA and frequently posts in the LA forums, so I thought it would be a good point of reference. My experience was that people that thought it was an 'amazing' city for dating were comparing Mpls to places like Des Moines. My experience was that it is the best city in the Midwest after Chicago, but a tier below the East or West coast.

The college age dating comment was more about the availability of singles than drink prices. The cultural norm of early marriage is very different than in a lot of other parts of the country. Where I came from, not many people who were educated got married before their late 20's. Minnesota is different, I had several friends there who had married their spouses right after graduating college. A lot of them were really happy and were great couples, it's just different than what you see in a lot of the country. As a result, the dating pool dwindles rapidly by mid-late 20's compared to a lot of other cities. It's harder on women than men, but it does create pressure for commitment that might be less of an issue in other cities.
Your theory that there is a cultural norm of early marriage in Minnesota is incorrect.

While the median age for first marriages here is lower than it is in California and the Northeast, it is not low compared to the rest of the US. The data would actually indicate that California and the Northeast are the outliers and Minnesota is in the middle of the pack.

The Median Age of Marriage in Every State in the U.S., in Two Maps - Mic

Old 01-15-2016, 07:21 PM

119 posts, read 145,109 times
Texamichiforniasota,

though the lampshade of reason has shone its paltry proofs, we can all say you do not stand corrected.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:26 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,915,554 times
Quote:
I was using the comparison on dating because the OP used to live in LA and frequently posts in the LA forums, so I thought it would be a good point of reference.
Why not Raleigh where the OP is at now? The south is known for early pairing up as well, but in most cities I think this is less of an issue even when a city is know for being family friendly.

Quote:
My experience was that people that thought it was an 'amazing' city for dating were comparing Mpls to places like Des Moines. My experience was that it is the best city in the Midwest after Chicago, but a tier below the East or West coast.
Well for metros between 4 and let's say 2.2 million you're looking at:

Seattle
Minneapolis-St. Paul
San Diego
St. Louis
Tampa-St. Petersburgh
Baltimore
Denver
Pittsburgh
Portland
Charlotte

Granted my experience is limited, but from my time there (and having been in other areas) I'd say from a dating standpoint it would be:

Baltimore and San Diego in a top grouping.

Next Minneapolis-St. Paul and Denver (tied).

Then Seattle because even though it should be with the Twin Cities & Denver, but isn't particularly good in this area.

Then the rest.

San Diego isn't particularly affordable, which leaves Baltimore. However, if you go with Baltimore you'll have to deal with the crime problem.

The Tampa area isn't bad, but its more of a trashy vibe, not young professionals, which you do get with Minneapolis. Charlotte does give you that, but compared to the Twin Cities in other areas I just don't see it.

So like so many other factors it's good. Maybe well rounded is the best term for the Twin Cities?

If you want to talk about "amazing" I'd say the attractiveness & fitness level of the women for the Midwest (again minus Chicago) is something you can attach that title to.

Quote:
The college age dating comment was more about the availability of singles than drink prices.
Seemed to me fairly balanced on the college student to young professionals ratio. Maybe that was just because I spent a fair amount of time downtown and around the lakes?

I will say unlike a lot of areas I've been in there were more women who were interested right away and more who weren't. Assuming I had time I could have had a just under a date a date and was even approached when I was at MOA. Although I can't say if that had to do more with who I am/my look and dress or if women in the Twin Cities are less into game playing.

Unlike say the nebulous type of stuff you get in the PacNW or the polite-friendly, but can't always tell if she's interested, stuff you get down south.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:50 PM

324 posts, read 877,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
For the love of God if you're a single male, 26, do NOT move to the Twin Cities.

Mpls is HEAVILY lesbian-feminist and even 'normal' women there are extremely hostile to men.
I had to deal with this recently.
women here are incredibly rude, and belligerent towards men.

Can someone please detail why that is ?

Old 01-16-2016, 02:30 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
I had to deal with this recently.
women here are incredibly rude, and belligerent towards men.

Can someone please detail why that is ?
They don't like the way you generalize about women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul