Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 05:51 PM

520 posts, read 776,170 times

Advertisements

It may not be hard core authentic Mexican, but Barrio is always good for a pleasant/fun dining experience.

I would say the same about Chino Latino for Asian-ish food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 06:06 PM

687 posts, read 1,256,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
I can't think of a single "sit-down" Chinese place downtown, but if they like Mexican, Rosa Mexicano on Hennepin is good. I know it's not a local place, but is still good. I can't think of too many other places that would actually have gift cards.

We have some good "fancy" Chinese places in the northern suburbs, but it would be a bit of a hike for them to come from south Minneapolis.
What are some "fancy" Chinese places in the northern suburbs?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:24 AM

760 posts, read 883,700 times
This brings up one of my biggest disappointments of the cities...restaurants.

I've tried dozens upon dozens of places. And it seems like the best food tends to be at the middle of the road places. Bar/Dive places tend to consist of mostly frozen and pre packed food. And the high end places lack consistency, and well rounded basic dishes.

I'm not a food snob by any means. But I have tried 4 places in the Warehouse district, and every time, I walked out disappointed. The most memorable was paying $38 for a pasta dish, with undercooked pork, and over cooked pasta. I tried the place again, getting just a burger, and it was way over cooked. I thought I found a few good places in uptown, but whenever I would return, the food would be hit or miss, and the wait staff was awful. You know, those 20-somethings with man buns that act as if you are inconveniencing them...but I understand that just kind of happens in younger neighborhoods.

The most consistent places tend to be at the breweries, or that group of restaurants that is under the management of the Lowry and Freehouse (can't think of the name).

Oh...also never trust Yelp reviews or locals suggestions. I swear everyone rates every place the same, and no one seems to leave negative feedback. I'll admit that it's nice to not be surrounded by a bunch of snobby "Yelpers" who complain about everything (some of my worst experiences in Chicago), but it would be nice to have a balance.

Last edited by MN_Ski; 01-28-2016 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 08:38 AM

418 posts, read 906,723 times
What MN_Ski said. Mandarin Kitchen is probably the best Chinese/dim sum place in the Twin Cities. I never did find a good Mexican restaurant. Our experience was that you may as well heat it from a frozen entre from Cub and save yourself $40.

Stick with the mainstay of the Twin Cities, beers, burger, pizza and you won't be disappointed.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:26 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post

Stick with the mainstay of the Twin Cities, beers, burger, pizza and you won't be disappointed.
I'd say go Vietnamese, and so would Anthony Bourdain:

MNMO: Have you been to Minneapolis-St. Paul before? What are your impressions?

AB: I’ve been a number of times. We did a show for the old series A Cook’s Tour, back when I was on the Food Network. I have friends out there, and I think Minnesota has some of the best Vietnamese food in America. I’m good friends with Vincent of Vincent’s Restaurant in Minneapolis, and I’m looking forward to seeing him.

Q&A with Anthony Bourdain - Minnesota Monthly - November 2007 - Minneapolis, St. Paul, Minnesota

Old 01-28-2016, 11:35 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
What MN_Ski said. Mandarin Kitchen is probably the best Chinese/dim sum place in the Twin Cities. I never did find a good Mexican restaurant. Our experience was that you may as well heat it from a frozen entre from Cub and save yourself $40.

Good Mexican food is reasonably easy to find if you know where to look. East Lake St., Richfield, and parts of St Paul are prime candidates, but restaurants with authentic Mexican food are rarely fancy.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:46 PM

27 posts, read 30,573 times
Mexican food here is mediocre. It's also expensive! It's better than Mexican in New York, though. (but wayyyy worse than Chicago)

Vietnamese is good. I agree with MN_SKI generally. Although i feel like it's brew pub overkill at this point.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Meloche View Post
Mexican food here is mediocre. It's also expensive!
My experience is the complete opposite. There is some excellent low cost Mexican food. There is also some nicer (and pricier) high end Mexican food. The key would be to go to places owned and operated by Mexicans.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:07 PM

119 posts, read 144,992 times
For Chinese, i'd say Kowloon near UM. I haven't found many good Chinese places in Minneapolis to be honest. It is sit down dinner place but not especially fancy. Maya Cuisine I found so-so; on par with mall food really.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Another good place for sit down Mexican food is Cucina Latina at 38th and Nicollet. Their specialty is Ecuadorian food and that's what I would recommend but their Mexican dishes are pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul