Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:55 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,746 times

Advertisements

The underground parking in Bloomington is amazing-- wish all of their stores had it, but I think it's the only one that does. As an added bonus, my kids are fascinated by the grocery cart escalator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 10:07 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Interesting to hear about Aldi. Someone told me the German owners of Aldi also own Trader Joe's & that many of the Trader Joe products are also sold at Aldo at a steep discount. I guess that's not true?

Whatever the case, if you have a large family like I do, you can't beat Aldi on price. We buy our staples at Aldo, then hit a couple other places for certain items we can't get at Aldi.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:28 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
As someone said earlier, theres an Aldi South and Aldi North in Germany. The US Aldi stores are owned by Aldi South and the Trader Joe stores are owned by Aldi North (Not 100% sure on this, so don't quote me on it. If someone knows and I am incorrect, please speak up and correct me! But according to Wikipedia it seems to be correct)

In Europe, theres a competitor to Aldi called Lidl. Lidl is supposedly coming to the United States later this year, starting on the east coast.

List of Lidl locations in the US - Business Insider

Lidl Grocery Stores Coming to America - German Supermarket Chain to Open in United States

Lidl is opening 100 stores in the US - Business Insider

Lidl: First 20 U.S. stores to open this summer

Don't quote me on this but I think it's suppose to rhyme with needle, and not little or idle, so it'll be pronounced Leedle.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 04-18-2017 at 02:40 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times
I don't know anything about Aldi North and Aldi South but, as an ex-employee of both Aldi's and Trader Joe's, both companies tell their employees that the only way the two stores are related is that one Albrecht brother owns Aldi and another Albrecht brother owns Trader Joe's. The stores are operated 100% independently from each other. Having worked in management in both companies, I can tell you that they're not operated the same way. And their vendors are different.

And no. Aldi does not sell Trader Joe's products at a discount. In my five years at Aldi, I've never once seen a Trader Joe's product in the store. Not even with a different label. How do I know this is true? Because the overwhelming majority of Trader Joe's products (almost 100% of them) are non-GMO. If a product contains corn starch, even that corn starch is required to be non-GMO. This isn't true for Aldi.

Two separate stores, owned and operated independently by two brothers. Only the brothers are related.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:46 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I don't know anything about Aldi North and Aldi South but, as an ex-employee of both Aldi's and Trader Joe's, both companies tell their employees that the only way the two stores are related is that one Albrecht brother owns Aldi and another Albrecht brother owns Trader Joe's. The stores are operated 100% independently from each other. Having worked in management in both companies, I can tell you that they're not operated the same way. And their vendors are different.

And no. Aldi does not sell Trader Joe's products at a discount. In my five years at Aldi, I've never once seen a Trader Joe's product in the store. Not even with a different label. How do I know this is true? Because the overwhelming majority of Trader Joe's products (almost 100% of them) are non-GMO. If a product contains corn starch, even that corn starch is required to be non-GMO. This isn't true for Aldi.

Two separate stores, owned and operated independently by two brothers. Only the brothers are related.
Ah, brothers ...

Cain v. Abel

Aldi's v. Trader Joe's (grocers)

Puma v. Adidas (shoes)

Bertch v. Omega (cabinets)

To say nothing of internal rivalries for control of companies (the four Koch brothers, the "Tale of Two Arthurs" pitting cousins Arthur T. Demoulas and Arthur S. Demoulas against one another for control of Market Basket grocery chain).

Old 04-19-2017, 12:20 PM

18 posts, read 27,883 times
We're getting ready to move back to the Twin Cities this summer. In my current town in CO, there's an awesome discount grocery store that I'm going to miss dearly. I was looking for something in the TC that might be similar and found this - Mike's Discount Foods | Saving You Money Since 1989 - does anyone have any experience with Mike's?

Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 AM

490 posts, read 624,215 times
My approach to managing food costs includes buying things in bulk. When I say bulk I mean by the pound. Rice, legumes, spices, coffee, tea, backing products and oils are all available by the pound at a significant savings at most co-op grocery stores. It's easy to spend a lot of money at those stores if your not careful, but you can also save a lot.

Cooking from scratch and avoiding prepackaged foods is key for us. We generally don't look for the least expensive version of an item but prefer to buy quality ingredients and save money by cooking smart and buying bulk. Sunday usually involves a significant protein like a chicken or a roast. The leftovers get turned into a stock or soup. Usually a big pot of beans or lentils get cooked as a main dish one night then it's a side dish for a couple of days.

I save more money this way than I ever did running around town trying to see who had the cheapest eggs and such.We do this in a very luxurious way that is light years from the days of my youth where we ate rice and beans because it was all we could afford. Now we do it because it's healthy and tastes good

Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtindall View Post
We're getting ready to move back to the Twin Cities this summer. In my current town in CO, there's an awesome discount grocery store that I'm going to miss dearly. I was looking for something in the TC that might be similar and found this - Mike's Discount Foods | Saving You Money Since 1989 - does anyone have any experience with Mike's?
I popped in there once when I lived in Anoka. To be perfectly blunt, I thought it smelled funny and most of the perishable food looked questionable. But I suppose that's to be expected in a discount grocer?

Old 04-21-2017, 07:32 AM

18 posts, read 27,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I popped in there once when I lived in Anoka. To be perfectly blunt, I thought it smelled funny and most of the perishable food looked questionable. But I suppose that's to be expected in a discount grocer?
Ha, yeah that sounds about right 1stpontiac Discount grocery stores are a bit like thrift stores for food, you never know what you're going to get. And it's true, some things will be close to or past their sell-by date, and I've brought stuff home that seemed alright until I opened it (or, with produce, cut/bit into it), and discovered it was not up to my standards (which aren't too demanding in the first place). But overall I've had a great experience at the one here in Loveland, and will probably at least check out Mike's after we move to MN.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 AM

44 posts, read 90,055 times
Default +1 For Aldi's and Fresh Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Ah, brothers ...

Cain v. Abel

Aldi's v. Trader Joe's (grocers)

Puma v. Adidas (shoes)

Bertch v. Omega (cabinets)

To say nothing of internal rivalries for control of companies (the four Koch brothers, the "Tale of Two Arthurs" pitting cousins Arthur T. Demoulas and Arthur S. Demoulas against one another for control of Market Basket grocery chain).
I love Aldi for the savings and Fresh Thyme for great quality. Both beat Cub foods in price.

I used to live in the East Coast and Market Basket was my go to grocery store (Miss it). Great selection of stuff at super discounts. It's also a great place to get inexpensive Maine Lobster (steamed on the spot). One year, the Lobster was $3.99/lb. Nowadays, they're usually like $4.99 to $6.99/lb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul