Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 12:05 AM

11 posts, read 15,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Someone from NYC will be sorely disappointed with the Twin Cities food scene. Of course someone from "middle of nowhere WI" will be impressed.
All depends on your mindset. Of course the food scene is not what it is in NYC. No other city in the county (and very few in the world) compare to that. However, I moved here from NYC and have had no problem finding great restaurants all over the twin cities... and I generally pay quite a bit less for an evening out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 04:58 AM

256 posts, read 286,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chug61 View Post
All depends on your mindset. Of course the food scene is not what it is in NYC. No other city in the county (and very few in the world) compare to that. However, I moved here from NYC and have had no problem finding great restaurants all over the twin cities... and I generally pay quite a bit less for an evening out.
Yeah, you could say the same about the "public transit scene", or the "skyscraper scene", or the "polluted river scene". Obviously NYC is going to have more options for basically everything. It's one of the most populated places on Earth, so there's gonna be more variety there no matter what. But when it comes to the rest of the country, the "food scene" in MSP would rank quite favorably.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:44 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursicinus View Post
Yeah, you could say the same about the "public transit scene", or the "skyscraper scene", or the "polluted river scene". Obviously NYC is going to have more options for basically everything. It's one of the most populated places on Earth, so there's gonna be more variety there no matter what. But when it comes to the rest of the country, the "food scene" in MSP would rank quite favorably.
I agree, however, numerous times per year we eat at the finest food places that can be found, anywhere bar none. It does not matter the season either. Many of these places there are no waiting lines either. I do not think any restaurant can compare.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:28 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chug61 View Post
All depends on your mindset. Of course the food scene is not what it is in NYC. No other city in the county (and very few in the world) compare to that.
I am from a foodie city. You all are exaggerating profusely about the Twin Cities' offerings. Either that, or you haven't traveled much. I do not want to derail the OP's thread, but I wish people would be more honest when these questions are asked instead of making it seem like the TCs (or any city for that matter) has everything anyone would need. It doesn't.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:27 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Holy crap! Really? That's great and so cool! Anywhere in Minnesota, or just the Minneapolis-St. Paul area? I wish they did that in New York!
Other states have similar deductions on their income tax filings, such as MA....

Old 04-09-2017, 11:23 AM

413 posts, read 789,336 times
Quote:
I am from a foodie city. You all are exaggerating profusely about the Twin Cities' offerings. Either that, or you haven't traveled much. I do not want to derail the OP's thread, but I wish people would be more honest when these questions are asked instead of making it seem like the TCs (or any city for that matter) has everything anyone would need. It doesn't.
I moved here last year after living in Seattle for ten years and in Sonoma County before that and I think that the Twin Cities holds its own.

The relevant question is: Is there decent enough food in MSP that the OP should not cross it off of her list? The answer is clearly yes. I don't think anyone can seriously suggest that the OP shouldn't move here because of the food scene, and that's all that really matters.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:17 PM

369 posts, read 633,233 times
Quote:
Someone from NYC will be sorely disappointed with the Twin Cities food scene. Of course someone from "middle of nowhere WI" will be impressed.
I'm from NYC and I think the food is great. Granted there are 2 million restaurants in NYC so the actual options here are smaller, but you can find pretty much any type of food that you want. And the really great restaurants are restaurants you can actually afford to eat at!

Old 04-09-2017, 04:18 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
We have a fair number of good restaurants, a small handful of really good places, and a lot of ethnically diverse choices. We have nothing truly outstanding in the fine dining category, not since La Belle Vie closed, and lately we've been losing more good restaurants than we've been adding. That said, it's enough to keep me reasonably happy.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:52 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Are the NYC people from New York City proper (as in, one of the boroughs)? I can't imagine a true New Yorker enjoying life in the Twin Cities.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:59 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
Quote:
Are the NYC people from New York City proper (as in, one of the boroughs)? I can't imagine a true New Yorker enjoying life in the Twin Cities.
Lol what a snobby thing to say. 'True New Yorker.' Sorry but the myth of the New York mystique is comical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul