Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 09:10 AM

202 posts, read 431,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Are you actually taking this post

which was specifically and solely about police officers living near criminals and try to pretend it was something about crime levels and the types of crimes in rural areas compared to Minneapolis?

Is that what you’re doing bro? Lol wow. LOL
this is why i question the seemingly unintelligent point of view you appear to speaking from. You dont think there is a direct correlation between the amount and type of crime in a given city effecting if the officers who work there would want to live there? again dude are you serious?

i feel like you are missing common logic here

let me break it down BARNEY style for you:

MPLS:40 murders. dozens of shootings, strong anti cop sentiment, higher level of criminal activity

compared to rural: maybe 1 or 2 accidental deaths, petty crime, thefts. Lower population lower crime levels.

And you seriously dont see a correlation between cops working/living in these place and why they would or wouldnt? OK lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 09:15 AM

21,804 posts, read 12,973,901 times
yall dont have residency requirement huh?...none at all?

Old 07-26-2020, 09:50 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
this is why i question the seemingly unintelligent point of view you appear to speaking from. You dont think there is a direct correlation between the amount and type of crime in a given city effecting if the officers who work there would want to live there? again dude are you serious?

MPLS:40 murders. dozens of shootings, strong anti cop sentiment, higher level of criminal activity

compared to rural: maybe 1 or 2 accidental deaths, petty crime, thefts. Lower population lower crime levels.

And you seriously dont see a correlation between cops working/living in these place and why they would or wouldnt? OK lol.
I was only responding to the single point you made in one post: rural cops are known to the criminals they arrest. No need to be a jerk about it.

It is obvious that I am not arguing that crime levels are the same in rural areas and inner cities because I never made any such statement. Go find somebody else to be your straw man.

Last edited by Glenfield; 07-26-2020 at 10:02 AM..

Old 07-26-2020, 09:55 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
yall dont have residency requirement huh?...none at all?
Most cities don’t have residency requirements for employees. I know Boston has strict residency requirements but it’s one of only 15 major US police departments that have them

Last edited by Glenfield; 07-26-2020 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-26-2020, 03:49 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,088,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post

Cops definitely DON'T want to live in the same place they police, for obvious reasons. The last thing they want is to be off-duty, sitting in a restaurant with their family, and being accosted by a recent arrestee who thought the cop was "too rough" on him or something. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, there are many "vengeful" criminals out there who will follow an off-duty cop home and perform assault, vandalism, etc., maybe after dark. A great example of this, is the cops holding the line in the recent Chicago Grant Park protests, had their names tags video'd by the protesters, who in REAL TIME looked up their personal information on the web, and taunted them with threats of raping their wives and daughters, in an effort to provoke or simply demoralize them. Because of this, I believe that the practice of having a Cop's name on his vest should definitely end, and be replaced by a number, that can be cross-referenced only by the PD themselves. The advances in technology has created a need for anonymity for police officers.

Bottom line, the idea of mandating residency requirements for police officers has not been thought through well enough. Cops are not teachers or garbage men. Heck, I can think of reasons that TEACHERS wouldn't want to live in the same communities they work.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:06 PM

6,615 posts, read 7,225,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Cops definitely DON'T want to live in the same place they police, for obvious reasons. The last thing they want is to be off-duty, sitting in a restaurant with their family, and being accosted by a recent arrestee who thought the cop was "too rough" on him or something. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, there are many "vengeful" criminals out there who will follow an off-duty cop home and perform assault, vandalism, etc., maybe after dark. A great example of this, is the cops holding the line in the recent Chicago Grant Park protests, had their names tags video'd by the protesters, who in REAL TIME looked up their personal information on the web, and taunted them with threats of raping their wives and daughters, in an effort to provoke or simply demoralize them. Because of this, I believe that the practice of having a Cop's name on his vest should definitely end, and be replaced by a number, that can be cross-referenced only by the PD themselves. The advances in technology has created a need for anonymity for police officers.

Bottom line, the idea of mandating residency requirements for police officers has not been thought through well enough. Cops are not teachers or garbage men. Heck, I can think of reasons that TEACHERS wouldn't want to live in the same communities they work.
One of the reasons my family member lives in different state then they work, but not the only reason. They have a 30-45 minute drive to work/home each work day.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:18 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,332,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobat612 View Post
I live in the city and it's a great place to live

I couldn't fathom living outside of an urban environment (grew up in NYC)

You view your locality as a hotel and an amusement park. When you're tired of it, you'll move on to greener pastures and leave the locals to deal with the mess you voted for.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:29 PM

75 posts, read 68,255 times
Minneapolis is so tiny in terms of square miles than most American cities. Even compared to cities that are roughly its metro size (denver and San Diego) it is literally a 1/3rd of the size. Living in lets say Maple Grove IS the same as living in the city. Denver, San Diego, and even Seattle are 140+ sq miles. Mpls is a paltry 57.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,770 posts, read 81,689,431 times
A good friend was a cop in Oakland, CA back in the 1980s, and I did a ride-along with him one night. After that experience, I could understand why he lived about 30 miles away from Oakland, and in fact we moved to the suburbs soon after that where we bought our first house. I doubt that many people would be willing to become cops in big cities if required to live in that city where they might run into people that they had arrested, or their family members, and knowing what goes on there every day and night that doesn't make the news.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:14 AM

202 posts, read 431,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelletti View Post
Minneapolis is so tiny in terms of square miles than most American cities. Even compared to cities that are roughly its metro size (denver and San Diego) it is literally a 1/3rd of the size. Living in lets say Maple Grove IS the same as living in the city. Denver, San Diego, and even Seattle are 140+ sq miles. Mpls is a paltry 57.
by your logic the gated community in maple grove is the same as a neighborhood on east lake street yeah ok there bucko. makes PERFECT sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul