Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 05:22 PM

7 posts, read 34,715 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I had the same problem when I moved to Minneapolis and later when I moved to Boulder. In general, it might take a little time to get to know some new people so be prepared to be a little aggressive and persistent. In general people might be friendly but may be a little shy to make the first move. Take the initiative and ask people you might casually meet to a movie, bar, restaurant or sporting event.
My other recommendation (and what has worked best for me) is to join a club, sport or other social activity that you enjoy so that you can meet like-minded people. I joined a local supperclub (check out cookinglight.com for their supperclub membership forums if this is up your alley) and have met some of my best friends there. You might also want to check out some of the social groups who post on craigslist. Of course, always meet for the first time in a public place and don't give out private information (phone, address) the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 PM

21 posts, read 128,313 times
I don't know about all that, i like to hang out at the small time shops, go to my barber shop, hes been cutting my dads hair since he was a kid (now 40) and hes been cutting my hair for the past 5 years

Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,512 times
Default Minnesota People

Hi Nicky 326,

I grew up in St. Paul, MN and have lived here all of my life with the exception of 10 years ago. Ten years ago I moved to Charlotte, NC. Now I am back in the Twin Cities because I have family here. I have heard it said that Minnesotan's are "Minnesota Nice". It is actually called passive - agressive, which is not nice at all. Sometimes people just do not know how to be nice. I am also looking to meet people, mainly women, to get together and go out to eat, concerts, shopping, etc. Girl-things. I am heterosexual, but I think women need women because we speak the same language and can be support to each other. It is always nice to have a friend.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:22 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
There are great people at Deja Vu Showgirls in Minneapolis on Washington. I don't care if people call you a sleazeball, you can usually meet some cool people there, and the strippers can be fun, even though most of them hate men.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 AM

8 posts, read 26,436 times
Meetin.org is a great site - as is meetup.com and there is a yahoo group called socialsinglesofmn that you might want to check out. Best of luck in meeting some new people!

Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM

33 posts, read 80,995 times
Go to the central library in downtown Minneapolis. I met plenty of people there and also I go to the churches that's another way to meet people. I'm from Chicago, IL and I have met plenty of people in Minnesota to hang with.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:29 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
try dating. you inherit your partners friends

Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 PM

223 posts, read 524,162 times
I highly recommend Meetup.com. I have met most of my friends in Minnesota from this website. I cannot say enough about it. I am in a different age group than you so I cannot say that it will be great for you, but it's worth a try.

We were also very fortunate that where we moved we hit it off with our neighbors right away. I have heard from many people that we are very lucky as that is not always the case. We love our neighborhood so much that we recently bought a home right behind the home we were renting.

I am from the eastern US and moved here from NY. I found it a lot easier to make friends here than I did in NY.(not being a native). Good luck to you.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 PM

356 posts, read 606,086 times
I have made some pretty good friends from Meetup too. That, by far, is how we made our friends. It took us a long time to get to know our neighbours... or for them to want to get to know us. Have become friends with 2 out of 10 neighbours. Not great odds, but better than nothing or what it was like the first couple years here.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky326 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have inquired about a gym and have an appointment tomorrow night. Lifetime fitness in Bloomington so I hope it is good. I live in Minneapolis but I am not sure what section it is considered. I know it is not Northern Minneapolis but I have got lost there. I have heard that the spring and summer is a lot of fun here and I am a warm weather person. I will try try to call the community ed center and see how I make out. Will keep everyone posted.
Can I ask you to name an intersection that's close to your house to understand where you're located? i.e. Lake & Hennepin, 15th & University NE, 48th & Chicago, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul