Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,001 times

Advertisements

Many times I read posts on where people say Minneapolis mostly has franchise restaurants, no good Mexican restaurants, or the place lacks variety, and I can never stop asking myself if these people are going to Minneapolis with their eyes closed. In the leaving Mpls fill out thread someone said there were no good Mexican restaurants? What the hell? If you ever go East on Lake Street pass Hennepin Avenue and keep driving to St. Paul you'll notice the there are dozens--yes, dozens--of Latino stores and restaurants. Try driving down Washington, University, Central, etc. toward St. Paul and you'll notice a variety of great stores, shops, ethnic restaurants, and businesses that are anything but franchises. I can't remember exactly what street it is on where I was driving at night and all I saw were Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and East African restaurants on either side of me.

After talking to many people and reading the posts on this forum I am firmly convinced the majority of tourists, occasional visitors, and even lifelong residents to Mpls only stay in Uptown or Downtown. People please, I know you're born and bread on bland suburban culture and you think little ethnic stores are "kindy spooky" but it wouldn't hurt to try them. I've given only a little of my money to franchises lately. I've bought clothes from retro stores, gotten my cds and vinyls from small music shops, and even *gasp* dare I say it---bought food from those "scary Muslim shops".

Once again, get out of the mainstream downtown/uptown loop and explore more of the city. Those businesses need customers badly. It doesn't help for you guys to avoid them. It's extremely ridiculous when you people say, "there are no good Mexican restaurants in Mpls" when you only stay in one part of Minneapolis and you don't even look for the great Mexican restaurants, which are a five minute drive down Lake Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:44 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,760,169 times
Im intrigued by that african place off Lake and Cedar simply because its name starts with a Q and is followed with an O, which breaks the cardinal rule I was taught about a U is always required to follow. Based on that alone I intend to eat there someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I can't remember exactly what street it is on where I was driving at night and all I saw were Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and East African restaurants on either side of me.
Cedar Ave near the University maybe. Could have been Franklin in the Phillips neighborhood too.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,300 times
I think alot of people saying that about Minneapolis are spending alot of time in the suburbs. Most other cities have suburban areas that have alot of immigrant-owned stores. With few exceptions, that is not so much the case here.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:11 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
There are alot of Mexican restaurants on Lake but I've only found a select few I would consider "good." I'm kind of a Mexican food snob though and if it's not authentic I get annoyed. The ones on E Lake and Westside St. Paul is the most authentic Mexican food in Minnesota but they still seem to dumb down the food to fit American tastes. I'll give you a quick example:

My wife (Mexican) and I (white guy) went to La Hacienda Taqueria on E Lake St and 3rd Ave a few weeks ago. We both ordered 4 tacos and I paid as a single purchase. Five minutes later we received our orders: her 4 tacos had spicy salsa on them, mine arrived naked. Mind you while we made our order neither of us made any mention to salsa. I went up and asked why I didn't get salsa on my tacos while my wife did and the answer was "because well, most Americans don't like spicy." So in case any of you were wondering, it is an American stereotype that is throwing out the authenticity of Mexican food dining in the Twin Cities.

This of course isn't to say that there aren't exceptions to the rule, there are a few very good Mexican restaurants but sadly they are few and far between. If you're like me and like real spicy Mexican food (not that wussy "fire sauce" at Taco Bell) then do yourself a favor and make it clear to the server that you like it spicy. Tell them "No quiero mi comida estilo gringo, me gustaria la comida picosa."

Old 12-04-2008, 03:55 PM

241 posts, read 435,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Many times I read posts on where people say Minneapolis mostly has franchise restaurants, no good Mexican restaurants, or the place lacks variety, and I can never stop asking myself if these people are going to Minneapolis with their eyes closed. ...

Sometimes, these forums test my tolerance because I simply don't know how people can think the way they do. I agree with what you point out here, and I'm mystified how someone could say such things. Ultimately, I believe it's flawed reasoning skills- they probably are doing what a previous poster in this thread said: limiting themselves to some cookie-cutter suburb and thinking their experience applies to the entire metro region when it patently and unarguably does not.

All we can do is shake our heads at such silliness and myth-bust.

P.S.: I don't think Uptown is a good example of a "chain haven": chains tend not to survive there...which is a big part of what I like about the area. Perkins, Burger King, Taco John's (or Bell?), all tried and failed to survive in the Uptown area. Most of the restaurants are local in Uptown.

Oh, and P.P.S:

MIDTOWN GLOBAL MARKET, BABY!

Old 12-04-2008, 04:52 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I think alot of people saying that about Minneapolis are spending alot of time in the suburbs. Most other cities have suburban areas that have alot of immigrant-owned stores. With few exceptions, that is not so much the case here.
I agree with this, Minnehahapolitan - the other day I attended a meeting/ event at the Southwest Marriott in Minnetonka, which is an enormous hotel and always seemingly busy hotel, and whenever I'm at hotels out in the 'burbs I can't help but wonder why so many people choose to stay outside the city when it's likely that they have business in or want to experience Minneapolis? I'm sure there are many folks whose business is in the suburbs as well, and sure it might be easier to park, they might feel "safer", and there might be constant shuttles to downtown, but I think people also get misled to think they're in Mpls by hotels advertising themselves as such when they're really in St. Louis Park, Minnetonka, Bloomington, or another suburb.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I went up and asked why I didn't get salsa on my tacos while my wife did and the answer was "because well, most Americans don't like spicy." So in case any of you were wondering, it is an American stereotype that is throwing out the authenticity of Mexican food dining in the Twin Cities.
Heh... you got the white guy in ethnic restaurant treatment. In some smaller town when we go to Asian restaurants my wife gets a fork handed to her.

My favorite Mexican is Los Ocampo. Hands down. Period.

Edit: We finally have a Vietnamese restaurant in Golden Valley. Well, Crystal really. I don't remember what it's called but the Pho was good. It's right next to Fat Nat's.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:09 PM

32 posts, read 100,047 times
Quang.... oh so good. Best pho out there.

One thing I've noticed in these forums is that when many people say Minneapolis or assume they've been here, I'm sure they've never even been HERE. More than likely they were in Bloomington or Coon Rapids I bet... It's a big pet peeve of mine when people do that.... sorry, had to vent... err.....

Old 12-27-2008, 03:54 PM

432 posts, read 1,659,678 times
I forgot what street that I was on when I was younger since my dad always bring to some asian grocery stores (btw,I am asian,lol) and I see signs with the word "EAT STREET" on them,but I don't think that there is a street that is named Eat Street! I think it could Nicollet Avenue,but I am not sure!

Old 12-28-2008, 03:01 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,300 times
/\ Nicollet between Grant and Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul