Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:15 PM

12 posts, read 56,712 times

Advertisements

I find it very interesting that Minneapolis/St. Paul is the 16th largest Metropolitan Statistical Area in the U.S. Why do you guys personally believe that this frozen tundra in the upper Midwest has been able to grow to 3.2 Million people? There isn't necessarily a huge out-state population to fuel the cities as Minneapolis (and Minnesota) is located in arguably one of the most sparsely populated areas in the U.S. being bordered by SD, ND, IA.

Additionally, I believe Minneapolis/St. Paul to be a city of extreme weather (such as many think of Phoenix) by being by far the coldest major U.S. city with an extreme 5 month winter which I feel would turn off many people.

My two cents would be that when the cities were formed and grew, people put a lot of thought into planning. It seems that Minneapolis/St. Paul is by far the best Midwestern city (over Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc.) excluding Chicago becuase of the arts, quality of life, job opportunities, etc. available that most people in the Midwest value. Therefore, people across the entire Midwest look highly upon our city and can overlook the weather when considering to move here. Additionally, I meet very few people from who live here who are not from the Midwest. I feel that most people believe they can obtain the "Americana Midwest" American Dream (large house, two cars, three kids) if they live in the cities and can replicate how they grew up but on a larger scale.

What are your guy's thoughts... Sorry about the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 07:56 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
I'll make it quick:
--high value of education
--economy stronger than other places
--arts scene
--more peaceful
--etc.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,844 times
These are the reasons I find the Cities so appealing: the quality of life; diverse job opportunities; the work ethic of the people here; the high emphasis on education and the arts; it's beautiful here; and the community involvement here (it often seems like many small towns rolled into one here if you get involved in volunteering here).

Old 12-12-2008, 09:54 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNLaker View Post
I find it very interesting that Minneapolis/St. Paul is the 16th largest Metropolitan Statistical Area in the U.S. Why do you guys personally believe that this frozen tundra in the upper Midwest has been able to grow to 3.2 Million people? There isn't necessarily a huge out-state population to fuel the cities as Minneapolis (and Minnesota) is located in arguably one of the most sparsely populated areas in the U.S. being bordered by SD, ND, IA.
First off I have to say that if you believe that Minneapolis does not have a huge out-of-state population than you are not paying attention.

I think that ultimately it has to do with the economy of the Twin Cities, which has always been strong. It's also fairly safe for it's size. While the education around the TC is the best in the nation, I do not believe that many non-college students are moving to the area simply because of the education. I mean how many parents move half-way across the country just to be able to send their children to the best public school?

Old 12-13-2008, 05:19 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,835 times
these are all the reasons i want to move to the Twin Cities, i dont care about the weather

Old 12-16-2008, 12:56 PM

394 posts, read 1,518,799 times
Weather sucks. (Nov - April)

- Education.
- Outdoors - Lakes, Rivers, Parks, "things to do"
- Cleanliness
- Job availability
- Women to men ratio
- Nice People
- Low Crime

A good example: While digging my car out of the snow in -10 degrees yesterday morning at 7am, a man walked 5 houses down with his snowblower and blew me out. And just turned and left. Thats MINNESOTA NICE BABY. NEver met the guy, never seen him, but walks 5 houses uphill, in snow, -10, at 7am to help someone.

I agree, that its odd how MN is so regarded as beign "one of the best areas" many people here find that hard to believe

Old 12-16-2008, 01:16 PM

394 posts, read 1,518,799 times
Go to youtube, and search "Atmosphere, shh"

Its a song from a group from the Twin Cities. It is a hip hop group, but it isnt the hip hop you would think. Give it a listen. Its a great song that gives MINNESOTA a great name. Listen at the end too, you might hear him say your hometown!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:21 PM
HKB

221 posts, read 802,796 times
I'll be honest. If it weren't for my entire family being here, I would have moved to a warmer climate a long time ago. Although I hate the cold dreary winters, I could deal with it much better if it was just for a month or two instead of the four or five months that it is.

I love it here May thru September.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
Beauty
Pristine lakes and parks
Lush with foliage
Lots of theater and universities/colleges
Very clean
Cozy atmosphere
Many relish their play time (hunting, fishing) over worktime
Money is not the be all and end all
Very easy life
Relaxing
More of family setting and activities versus singles lifestyle
Education

Old 12-18-2008, 05:55 AM

987 posts, read 3,818,703 times
Biking in the summer.
Skiing in the winter.
Two major symphony orchestras.
Art.
Fishing.
Ethnic cuisine
Diversity in general (even among Scandis)
Work hard/play hard attitude
Green
Rivers, lakes, streams
No tax on clothes and food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul