Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 AM

109 posts, read 307,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk13 View Post
Well I just got back, and yeah I went downtown and just gave it a shot. I didnt gend up going to block E because I really couldn't reconcile with that, but I did end up at Drink (which yes I have been to before, and wasn't particularily fond of in the past).

honestly, I had an alright time, all things considered.

Yes, there were some bad elements, like girls who seemed more interested in dancing with other girls the whole night. And, my least favorite, douchebaggy men who would constantly tap me on the shoulder and ask me to "back off their girl" (which would normally be fine, except it seems like far too many men prefer to just let their girl run wild and look completely single and available, leading to of course a confrontation. Look sharp and stop seeking oppurtunities to be a dick guys. This crap happened to me like 5 times tonight, and it gets a little tiresome and emasculating after a while since my best comeback is to scratch the side of my head with my middle finger as I walk away).

So yeah, I had a good time actually, I guess I just either need to find a similar place with a slightly better crowd (maybe like this "Moose Country"), or just go again and hope I get a little luckier with what people show up.

But I do like the idea of relying more on body language and drunkenness (at my age anyway) to try and attract someone for a night of fun. Honestly, I had an "offer", it just was with the one girl I really WOULDNT want to hook up with (considering my situation such a girl would be rare, but wow, I really had to turn that down). I think my next free saturday I might just go back and give it another shot (again, unless someone has a better spot than Drink, maybe with more single and interested girls).
Props on going out and giving things a try! I've been to the Drink before, and I must say it's a tough crowd there. It's pretty typical to see women at places like these that only want to dance with women. Men also don't do a very good job and standing by their women to indicate that they are with them, and sometimes yeah they get unreasonably pissed when you try to dance with their girl who is making herself look like she's available.

Moose Country was okay on Saturday, but nothing to write home about. I've found that with all places around here, it really depends on the night. Some nights here just workout better than others. I have not found one place that is consistently a blast, and if I did I'd probably be hooked. The place I've had the most luck with is probably First Ave "Too Much Love" on Saturday nights, but it's 18+ so that might discourage you if you are too old (I'm on the borderline, at age 24). Lately though, I haven't had the best luck at First Ave.

I've found it really helps to go out with a wingman most times. I did this in the fall with a guy and we had a lot of great runs and became friends in the process. Ironically, I met him at BarFly too, which I agree is a horrible club, hahaha. So yeah, it's just difficult sometimes to keep the morale unless you have someone down there in the trench with you. Also, it works well to dare each other to go out and be brave.

So yeah, if you're looking for a wingman, PM me. I don't mind an excuse to get out and do something fun, even if I don't succeed at picking up a girl in the process. And we are at the middle point of the winter now, so the weather can only get warmer, which makes the bar/club experience all the better Gosh, I can't wait until summer again.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Go to Bootleggers if you want to trainwreck into a room full of couples. You might have some luck finding girls at Brothers or Imperial Room. I've never been to Sneaky Pete's but it looks like a carbon copy of Drink. I would be the first one to tell you that Drink downtown sucks, although that is one of the few bars downtown where random girls have asked me to dance with them.

Also, I know nothing about these places but there are several dance clubs on that strip that have the VIP bottle service vibe. If you want to dress up in a suit you could check out Envy, Aqua, Infinity, Karma, Spin, etc. After the cover and drinks you'd probably end up dropping a couple hundred though.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:03 AM

394 posts, read 1,519,035 times
The best bet is 7 corners by U of M.

But now days, (Im a young male) women seem to not be up for the whole meeting guys out on the town. You can either hook up with a drunk girl, which I would have a problem doing, because if shes done it once,shes done it before, and that isnt my style. I find that most girls go out to have fun with their girlfriends- not to find dudes.

Best places to meet girls is to get involved in clubs or groups that do activities and fun things, but not in a club/alcohol atmosphere.

Trust me, I have fun and have danced the night away on some drunkerds, hoping to get something or a number or something, just to have a "see ya!" at the end of the night.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 AM

394 posts, read 1,519,035 times
The best bet is smaller, more personal bars.
Maybe try ones that have some drink specials on a Wednesday night, and have a guy playing music. There are tons of these smaller, more homey bars, that I have had better experiences. The clubs and huge bars like Drink, The Lounge, Barfly, etc. are great, but the women there are just there to dance and get drunk with freinds.
The smaller bars I find myself engaging in much more conversation, and its usually a more intelligent crowd of people.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk13 View Post
Well I just got back, and yeah I went downtown and just gave it a shot. I didnt gend up going to block E because I really couldn't reconcile with that, but I did end up at Drink (which yes I have been to before, and wasn't particularily fond of in the past).

honestly, I had an alright time, all things considered.

Yes, there were some bad elements, like girls who seemed more interested in dancing with other girls the whole night. And, my least favorite, douchebaggy men who would constantly tap me on the shoulder and ask me to "back off their girl" (which would normally be fine, except it seems like far too many men prefer to just let their girl run wild and look completely single and available, leading to of course a confrontation. Look sharp and stop seeking oppurtunities to be a dick guys. This crap happened to me like 5 times tonight, and it gets a little tiresome and emasculating after a while since my best comeback is to scratch the side of my head with my middle finger as I walk away).

So yeah, I had a good time actually, I guess I just either need to find a similar place with a slightly better crowd (maybe like this "Moose Country"), or just go again and hope I get a little luckier with what people show up.

But I do like the idea of relying more on body language and drunkenness (at my age anyway) to try and attract someone for a night of fun. Honestly, I had an "offer", it just was with the one girl I really WOULDNT want to hook up with (considering my situation such a girl would be rare, but wow, I really had to turn that down). I think my next free saturday I might just go back and give it another shot (again, unless someone has a better spot than Drink, maybe with more single and interested girls).
I have to agree with knke0402 on this one, either go to any bar in the 7 corners if you want to hook up with a college girl or go to a neighborhood bar if you just want to hook up with any girl. The club and bar scene downtown is the wrong place to try and meet someone. It can happen, sure, but do not expect it. As stated, those places tend to be 4 guys for every 1 girl and most of the girls go to just hang out. And if they are looking for fun the chances are that you are not it.

Check out the bars on Lyndale (Mort's, Rudoplh's, CC Club, Bulldog and maybe the Red Dragon or the Country Bar). These bars may or may not offer your ideal girl but I can guaranty that you will get your night of fun a whole lot easier here than at any of the bars downtown or Uptown (except for the Independent and the Uptown Bar).

Old 01-13-2009, 10:54 AM

Since you mentioned Lyndale bars, I also highly recommend Moto-I on Lyndale and Lake. It's the sake microbrewery that recently opened. The sake is awesome which goes without saying but I also love the fact that the only beer on tap is Minnesota brewed.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I wonder what coffee shops have to offer in terms of the social scene?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:35 PM

Here's my experience in the few coffee shops I've been in...a bunch of people using their laptops and a couple or two, with practically no socialization whatsoever.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I figured as much. I think places to meet up are mainly for the people with similar interests. For some reason, the clubs and the smoky bars are not my cup of tea.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:28 PM

989 posts, read 2,962,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I figured as much. I think places to meet up are mainly for the people with similar interests. For some reason, the clubs and the smoky bars are not my cup of tea.
Smokey bars are a thing of the past with the statewide smoking ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul