Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:27 PM

207 posts, read 800,493 times

Advertisements

I've been living here for five days or so and so far, I like it. I'm looking forward to exploring it some more. I'm living in Uptown so I already know a bit about what it has to offer. Not thrilled about the bar scene and the general trendiness, but I am happy that I have seen some non-twentysomethings (i.e., families, older folks), as Uptown Urbanist said I would. I am also really happy about being so close to the Uptown theatre! Haven't seen the lakes yet, but I'm thinking that I will spend most of my "lake time" near the Lake of the Isles...

About Uptown, just wondering where the "quieter"/less trendy streets are...i.e., cafes, restaurants and stores that aren't screaming out for the attention of the young folks but are worth a browse. It seems like there's a mixture of really trendy shops/restaurants and quieter businesses with more character. I'm interested in the latter.

Any suggestions about other neighbourhoods that might be nice to walk around/visit? What about Northeast? Is there a specific intersection that I should target? What about Loring Park? Any other neighbourhoods with historic appeal (older buildings, nice architecture, etc)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 01:44 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,819,082 times
Check out the area around 50th and France - trendy and you need to drive there - but its worth a look. The area near downtown on the river and St. Louis Park near Excelsior and Grand. There are TONS of cute, interesting, safe neighborhoods here.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:36 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,615,537 times
Loring Park neighborhoods are really neat lots of old style looking apartments and large trees lined streets.
Also over in the Minnehaha Falls area is neat especially in the fall time.
From here you can walk or bike to the Fort Snelling. Cool!
There is a boat locks that is really neat near the consession stand area at Minnehaha Falls area.
I think its there.
At Minnehaha Falls there is an ancient water fall and river bed that you can explore and self guided tour with plaques telling you what to look at and stuff. The water fall is no longer there but you can visulize what it once was.
There is a wma near Richfield that is really great to see the fall happenings of the birds and stuff. We love birdwatching!!
Id recommend this area in the fall time... plus there are geocaches hidden here also.
St. Anthony Falls Historic District

Old 09-07-2009, 05:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,783,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel_009 View Post
I've been living here for five days or so and so far, I like it. I'm looking forward to exploring it some more. I'm living in Uptown so I already know a bit about what it has to offer. Not thrilled about the bar scene and the general trendiness, but I am happy that I have seen some non-twentysomethings (i.e., families, older folks), as Uptown Urbanist said I would. I am also really happy about being so close to the Uptown theatre! Haven't seen the lakes yet, but I'm thinking that I will spend most of my "lake time" near the Lake of the Isles...

About Uptown, just wondering where the "quieter"/less trendy streets are...i.e., cafes, restaurants and stores that aren't screaming out for the attention of the young folks but are worth a browse. It seems like there's a mixture of really trendy shops/restaurants and quieter businesses with more character. I'm interested in the latter.

Any suggestions about other neighbourhoods that might be nice to walk around/visit? What about Northeast? Is there a specific intersection that I should target? What about Loring Park? Any other neighbourhoods with historic appeal (older buildings, nice architecture, etc)?
Check out Linden Hills; you can either bike or take the bus to get there, or walk if you have the time. It's very close to Lake Harriet, so combine the business district with a stroll to or around the lake. The Wild Rumpus is a children's bookstore located in Linden Hills; it's well worth a visit even if you aren't in the market for children's books. 50th and France is also a good suggestion for a different neighborhood/business district to explore, and it's an easy bus ride from Uptown. Whittier and "Eat Street" has some trendy things mixed in, but overall is very nice.

In the general Uptown area: have you been over to Lyn-Lake yet? Some trendy stuff, but there are some more "character"/less trendy options mixed in. Bryant Lake Bowl is trendy, but still fun. 36th and Bryant is a nice neighborhood commercial node, and has a nice cafe with outdoor seating. Crema Cafe, on 34th and Lyndale, is a longtime ice cream factory (Sonny's) that now offers meals, and, of course, ice cream. The Dunn Brothers on 34th and Hennepin is more neighborhood-oriented than some of the core commercial district options. Walk up Hennepin and check out some of the coffee shops and restaurants, especially the ones on some of the side streets just off of Hennepin.

Ride the bus up Lake and get on and off as the mood strikes you; there's a lot of shops along the way. Most of Lake is pretty non-trendy. Ingebretsen's is an old (I think from the '20s) Scandinavian import store that's worth a visit for a taste of old MN Scandinavian heritage; they have a deli, too. (I think it's just east of Bloomington) Check out St. Anthony Park (neighborhood, not city) in St. Paul sometime; it's within walking distance of the U of MN's St. Paul campus.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions! This is great. I can't wait to get to know Minneapolis better! And Uptown Urbanist, I won't give up on Uptown yet. It sounds like it has a lot to offer, I just need to do more exploring...

Old 09-08-2009, 05:08 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,349,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel_009 View Post
Welcome to the Twin Cities (I was fairl;y close to your old home 2 weeks ago during our summer vacation: we went to Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City)

In addition to places already mentioned, I'd also offer:

East Hennepin: Along Hennepin Avenue from the river eastward about 5-6 blocks: a nice commercial area with a mix of older east european businesses (Kramarcizck's Deli, Nye's Polonaise Room, Baltic Imports) plus an assortment of restaurants, an irish pub, several good pizza places (Punch, Pizza Nea), and a Lund's grocery store. There's also several historic buildings along Main Street (eg. Lourdes Church)

13th & University: a small but aesthetically nice commercial district, with some good restaurants (Cafe Erte, Modern, and I think there's a new Fish N Chips place that just opened--Anchor F&C or something), a nice bar/music club (The 331), a few arts places, and a nice library at Marshall and Broadway (a few blocks to the southwest), just south of the old Grain Belt Brewery (restored about 5-10 years ago for an architect's office)

East Franklin: basically from the LRT station towards the river. another nice, non-trendy little business district for the seward neighborhood: Seward Cafe, Seward Co-Op, arts organizations (MN Playright Center, Mn Clay Arts Center)

Dinkytown (14th Avenue SE and 4th Street SE: a student-oriented retail district next to the U of M
Stadium Village: another student area along Washington Avenue
Cedar-Riverside/Seven Corners: an interesting mix of Somali's and U of M students

Nicollet Ave: from 42nd Street to about 55th Street: includes a decent number of independant businesses. I like the Liberty Custard Stand at 53rd & Nicollet for the malts.

There is an excellent map you can buy published by Professor Pathfinder, which not only lists the streets, parks and lakes, but also shows where all the commercial districts are located:

You can get it at most bookstores:

Hedberg Maps, Inc. - Custom College, City, Regional and Specialty Maps

Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 PM

481 posts, read 1,820,454 times
The area around the Riverview theater (a nice discount theater that also shows some nice alternative stuff) at 38th and 42nd avenue south is pretty nice but in a non-trendy way. I haven't poked around it much but from what I've seen driving by there a guy could waste a pleasant afternoon and be happy.

(Not sure about these next two - they're OK and not particularly quaint but they both have a lot of independents in long-held businesses)

Where I live around 50th & 34th has a bunch of neighborhood shops as well, although most of them are work-a-day places (not even a coffee shop). The bookshop at 54th, however, is good for some serious exploration with some unique curios to look at, and there are some nice restaurants at 50th and 56th.

66th and Penn is a bit on the run-down side (not sketchy, it just hasn't been "updated" since the 60's (except for a modest face lift in ugly 80's colors on the north end) and has shops and restaurants that have been around for decades - it was Richfield's first commercial strip. Nothing on the "oh look, how cute" scale, but Fireside pizza is a neighborhood institution with live music on some days, and the second hand store makes good browsing. The more interesting shops are on the south end.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:29 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,415,733 times
Other areas with quieter businesses and more character:
-Central Ave in NE Minneapolis from Broadway St up to about 26th - Various ethnic restaurants from Middle East, Asia and Latin America as well as some small shops
-Area surrounding Chicago Ave and 48th St S - Pepitos, Parkway Theater, Ice Cream shop, pizza place, bar and grill, some random small shops, etc.
-E Lake St from 35W to Hiawatha Ave - lots of small shops and restaurants, many Somali and Latin American themed restaurants, the Global Market on Elliot Ave, Mercado Central on Bloomington Ave, etc.
-Eat Street - Nicollet Ave from Franklin Ave to 31st St S - lots of family owned ethnic restaurants, some of the best and most affordable eating in the city found here.
-U of M West Bank and Cedar Riverside neighborhood - Cedar Ave from Franklin Ave up to Washington Ave, Riverside Ave from there to the river - interesting mix of students and Somalis, lots of interesting old architecture, business, restaurants.
-Downtown - pretty much everywhere you walk downtown you'll find something interesting.
-My part of town is pretty interesting to walk through, alot of times I'll just pick a street and walk down it, there are lots of interesting buildings, houses and parks on almost every block over here.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Slig. All the suggestions on this thread are great starting points. I'm excited to browse around (if/when I have time...the assignments in school are already piling on!) You said your part of town is interesting. What part would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Other areas with quieter businesses and more character:
-Central Ave in NE Minneapolis from Broadway St up to about 26th - Various ethnic restaurants from Middle East, Asia and Latin America as well as some small shops
-Area surrounding Chicago Ave and 48th St S - Pepitos, Parkway Theater, Ice Cream shop, pizza place, bar and grill, some random small shops, etc.
-E Lake St from 35W to Hiawatha Ave - lots of small shops and restaurants, many Somali and Latin American themed restaurants, the Global Market on Elliot Ave, Mercado Central on Bloomington Ave, etc.
-Eat Street - Nicollet Ave from Franklin Ave to 31st St S - lots of family owned ethnic restaurants, some of the best and most affordable eating in the city found here.
-U of M West Bank and Cedar Riverside neighborhood - Cedar Ave from Franklin Ave up to Washington Ave, Riverside Ave from there to the river - interesting mix of students and Somalis, lots of interesting old architecture, business, restaurants.
-Downtown - pretty much everywhere you walk downtown you'll find something interesting.
-My part of town is pretty interesting to walk through, alot of times I'll just pick a street and walk down it, there are lots of interesting buildings, houses and parks on almost every block over here.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,415,733 times
One note, I made a mistake when I said that Eat Street went down to 31st S, it actually only goes to 29th St S and then runs into the back of the Kmart.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 09-10-2009 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul